What's new

Van Der Lovett soap

Anyone heard of this stuff?
VDL.jpg

I found some for a few bucks, smells pretty great. Haven't tried it yet. Found the above and "Royal Orange". It's address is in Belgium however, so I'm sorta doubtful it's actually made in Holland, but I guess it's possible.

Interesting.... never heard of this one before. Do you happen to have a ingredient list? Could speak volumes as to how it would perform.

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, potassium tallowate, aqua, potassium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, glycerin, limonene, linalool, potassium hydroxide, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate, sodium hydroxide

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, potassium tallowate, aqua, potassium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, glycerin, limonene, linalool, potassium hydroxide, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate, sodium hydroxide

Looks like a good shave soap, with a spicy orange scent.

Just followed your link. Orange was correct :)

Found this YouTube with it:

And an English sales site:vanderlovett

Last edited:
Thats awesome, he just uploaded that a couple days ago haha, yeah, they seem to make 3 scents, of which I have 2. orange and the sailors which is a sort of typical *sea* scent, I am not sure what the source of that scent is. but anyway both smell quite ice, not too subtle, not too overpowering. I will try lathering it up tomorrow if I can (I just laid it into a bowl.

The Sailors blend scent is very similar to:
CERINA - Brise Marine
If you have ever tried that. the page lists a lot of different scents but most of them I can't say I would recognise, other than vetiver

I, too, am excited to test it, unfortunately didn't have exactly a DFS today, so we'll see how my face feels tomorrow

The ingredient list does look like it could make a stable lather, but that doesnt automatically make it a great soap. Always cool to see new soaps pop up on the market and hear what peoples thoughts are about certain products.

I found a puck of the "Grey" version at a Marshalls for $4. It's definitely, essentially Fine under a different name, smaller puck. The ingredients are nearly identical, the look and feel is too. Grey is a cologne scent....maybe the same as the old Fine Gray Vetiver (after the Tom Ford cologne). It's quite nice. I'm a fan of Fine, so looking forward to trying it out.

Nice, I haven't been able to find any more yet, but I haven't had a lot of time to look either. Hope ya like it.

Nice, I haven't been able to find any more yet, but I haven't had a lot of time to look either. Hope ya like it.

The Winners by my office had some too. I was able to pick up the Sweetwood (I think it's a Sandalwood...not that the sniffer is very discerning) and Royal Orange x 2 (orange, which I love....duh! :)). I'm not interested in the Sailor's Blend as the aquatic scent chemical is one of the few things that burns my face.

The Winners by my office had some too. I was able to pick up the Sweetwood (I think it's a Sandalwood...not that the sniffer is very discerning) and Royal Orange x 2 (orange, which I love....duh! :)). I'm not interested in the Sailor's Blend as the aquatic scent chemical is one of the few things that burns my face.

Wow, you must be allergic, I used to have some weird reactions to almond but it subsided after a while. I haven't tried the orange yet, I have one though, waiting, just not planning to use it before I finish the sailors blend, but it does smell great! I think I would like to get my hands on their AS balm
https://www.vanderlovett.com/product-page/after-shave-balm-sailor-s-blend

https://www.vanderlovett.com/product-page/after-shave-balm-royal-orange

Here is my report on today's search.

I said I was going to check two other stores. I ended up checking about 7 stores.

I learned the following:
Marshalls and Winners are the same thing.
Tommy Gun's also sells some shaving stuff- some Merkurs, various brushes, a few soaps and creams- including D.R Harris.
Hudsons Bay is hocking AOS, Midnight and 2 and Jack Blacks, and Midnight and 2 also sells a razor now.

So I wouldn't call it a *great* haul, but I picked up:
2 more sailors blend soap.
2 grey edition soap
1 sailors blend AS balm.
Rockwell synthetic brush

Also some other catches that I didn't buy (Specifically at Marshalls and Winners):
Numerous Rockwell R1 razors (rookie, cheap, but nicely plated TTO razors)
Numerous of the aforementioned brushes
A lot of mixed Omega brushes
a strange TTO razor that came with what looks like custom blades with a single centre hole (judging by the picture)
Numerous AOS soaps
2 D.R Harris Creams- 1 Arlington and 1 Windsor

Now, on to the big deal (for me)
The Van Der Lovett AS
It comes in a heavy glass bottle with plastic pump dispenser. The scent is the same as Sailors blend, but it comes off much more subtle.

The ingredients are:
Aqua, Helianthus Annus seed oil, Acrylates Copolymer, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Aloe barbadensis leaf extract, PEG-40 Hydrogenated castor oil, parfum, tocopherol, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium sorbate, Limonene, Linalool

Consistency and colour is very similar to Nivea AS balms

Note:
Helianthus Annus seed oil - sunflower seed oil

Last edited:
Top Bottom