What's new

using finishing stone as a barbers hone?

does anyone do this? like 7-10 passes on your finishing hone every night or even during the shave. also if i do it like this do i still have to tape razors that used tape when honing or does it not really make a difference?

Legion

Staff member
No, for me it would be easier to do 50 laps every seven shaves than 10 or 15 every time. That is what a strop is for.

If your razor has been honed with tape, any touch ups on a stone would have to also have tape, or your bevel will not contact correctly.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not passes on a finishing hone but rather 50 to 60 laps on diamond pasted balsa only after each shave.

If normally honed with tape, you should always use it on your finishing whetstones. It does make a difference.

it seems like they cut easier without the tape
maybe my technique needs improving?

Some use tape to protect ornate spine work. Others use it because of excessive spine wear and still other use it to create a micro-bevel. If you set your bevel using tape, continue using tape. Without actually having your razor in hand to examine, it's difficult to evaluate and give accurate and proper advice on this matter.

Not passes on a finishing hone but rather 50 to 60 laps on diamond pasted balsa only after each shave.

If normally honed with tape, you should always use it on your finishing whetstones. It does make a difference.

To be fair here, not everyone uses pasted balsa as you have. Some of us can and have used stones to refresh edges. I personally have used finishers on a JNAT, pasted strops and pasted balsa. There is more than one road into town so to speak.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
To be fair here, not everyone uses pasted balsa as you have. Some of us can and have used stones to refresh edges. I personally have used finishers on a JNAT, pasted strops and pasted balsa. There is more than one road into town so to speak.
I agree. I was just posting what my preference is.

For a while I was finishing and refreshing some of my SR's on stone. Over time, I found that I was reaching more for the pasted balsa edges rather than the stone edges and gradually found my way back to pasted balsa only.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time developing my whetstone finishing technique. For me life is too short to put up long-term with poorer quality shaves.

I agree. I was just posting what my preference is.

For a while I was finishing and refreshing some of my SR's on stone. Over time, I found that I was reaching more for the pasted balsa edges rather than the stone edges and gradually found my way back to pasted balsa only.

Maybe I didn't spend enough time developing my whetstone finishing technique. For me life is too short to put up long-term with poorer quality shaves.

I completely agree with you as another person who has run the long gamut of synthetics, JNATS and now moving on to simply using a maintenance or touch up technique. Hell, I may even send my edges out for hire once my personal maintenance regimen no longer serves me.

I respect and somewhat envy your found love and dedication to the pasted balsa strop. I'm bouncing back and forth between the diamond pasted strop and my diamond pasted linen. In only a short time in comparison with your experience, I am seeing very little difference at the moment. I certainly won't go back to JNAT finishers 100 percent of the time now. However, I am not leaning too forward into balsa either.

I do see the value and expediency of the diamond paste, no matter what surface I end up using to deliver it to my edges.

Best regards!

Top Bottom