What's new

Unusual Shaving Arrangements

A bit of explanation....

I am mobility-impaired. Part of that impairment is that I can no longer stand for any significant length of time, especially without holding onto something. Therefore, standing to shave was out of the question.

I ended up letting my beard grow to Eastern Orthodox monk proportions, which I was OK with until I started having skin problems again. There was no way I could keep the beard. I can't use an electric razor on my face, because the irritation is painful (not just uncomfortable - painful), so I had to figure out a way to shave sitting down (I can and did use one to shave my head). My bathroom is too small to just bring in a chair.

(BTW I have a beard trimmer which I used to remove the bulk of the beard. I was able to stand while doing that because I held onto the vanity with one hand while trimming with the other.)

My shaving solution: after dragging out my shaving supplies, I ordered a large makeup mirror and a collapsible silicone bucket online. I go to my kitchen sink (with my rollator) and fill the bucket about halfway with hot water, then cover it. I grab a towel and a washcloth and go to my desk, which is set up so I can get in and out of my office chair (relatively) easily.

Just to round things out:
  • dip (nylon) shaving brush in hot water, wet face thoroughly
  • apply Cremo as preshave
  • wet fingers, then work in the Cremo
  • place shave cream on brush and lather up face
  • shave (2 passes), vigorously shaking the razor under water in the bucket to clean it after each stroke
  • wipe down face
  • apply witch hazel
  • repeat process for my head
  • agitate brush under water in the bucket to get rid of as much soap as possible
  • next time I get up, go to the kitchen sink, empty and rinse bucket, rinse out brush with hot water
This has been working really well. If I have to shave, it's going to be a wet shave!

Glad you found a working arrangement! Of course I have no idea what your bathing/showering routine is, but I wonder about also trying a stool in the tub or shower with a wall mounted fogless mirror. That may not work for you, but I'd be getting water in all the wrong places if I tried to shave at my desk.

Sitting and getting up from the sitting position is extremely difficult for me. In a wet environment (i.e. the shower) it would be downright dangerous. I have learned to shower quickly so I don't have to stand long.

I keep the bucket on the rollator next to me. That way if it spills, at least it won't spill on anything electrical or electronic. I'm more likely to drop the razor into the bucket than dump the bucket (I have problems with my hands too).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Where there's a will there's a way! My dad shaved in a wheelchair similarly, but he and mom had a great apartment and the bathroom was set up properly.

First time I ever had to shave him was the day after heart surgery. Then the hardhead never needed help again for years. You know those guys born in the 20's: shave EVERY day!

Glad you've arrived at ssfunctional solution.

And I apologise if you hear giggling, but the solution you have found sounds like you've rediscovered a "washbasin shave", just as it was done, and is still done, where running water is scarce. Perfectly functional even if it is considered "inconvenient" by today's standards.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

And I apologise if you hear giggling, but the solution you have found sounds like you've rediscovered a "washbasin shave", just as it was done, and is still done, where running water is scarce. Perfectly functional even if it is considered "inconvenient" by today's standards.
Ha! You are right. My dad never lived in a house with running water until he married my mom!

my only thoughts are to consider using a shave soap stick.
and keep an alum block handy to keep fingers grippy if you need.

Nope on the shave stick only because I have creams I want to use again. Currently using C. O. Bigelow, and looking forward to pulling out the TOBS Sandalwood. I also have Proraso Red hard soap I want to use. I have a granite lather bowl that has a rough texture inside and outside (need to fish it out of the cabinet). Outside make it easier to grasp, inside means it makes a stiff lather quick. While I really like using the Cremo as a preshave, it does make it harder to work up a proper lather on my face, but using the bowl will take care of that.

I do use my alum stick when I need a better grip.

And I apologise if you hear giggling, but the solution you have found sounds like you've rediscovered a "washbasin shave"

I understand the giggles. However, part of my problem is that there is only one place I can sit comfortably for any length of time - my office chair at my desk, which includes a computer, monitors, etc. I had to find a solution that wouldn't result in me shorting out my electronics or getting electrocuted. :D It wasn't just about fetching water, but positioning of items.

Nope on the shave stick only because I have creams I want to use again. Currently using C. O. Bigelow, and looking forward to pulling out the TOBS Sandalwood. I also have Proraso Red hard soap I want to use. I have a granite lather bowl that has a rough texture inside and outside (need to fish it out of the cabinet). Outside make it easier to grasp, inside means it makes a stiff lather quick. While I really like using the Cremo as a preshave, it does make it harder to work up a proper lather on my face, but using the bowl will take care of that.

I do use my alum stick when I need a better grip.

ever tried using shave stick?

Glad you found a working arrangement! Of course I have no idea what your bathing/showering routine is, but I wonder about also trying a stool in the tub or shower with a wall mounted fogless mirror. That may not work for you, but I'd be getting water in all the wrong places if I tried to shave at my desk.

When my knee went out a few months ago, I put a chair in front of my bathroom vanity so I could use the sink. Since that left me too low to use the usual mirror, I set a makeup mirror on the vanity and angle it to show my face. That way I didn't have to transport (spill) any vessels of water, and had running water for rinsing. Plus all my shaving gear was close at hand. My wife hung around in case I needed anything I couldn't reach.

A bit of explanation....

I am mobility-impaired. Part of that impairment is that I can no longer stand for any significant length of time, especially without holding onto something. Therefore, standing to shave was out of the question.

I ended up letting my beard grow to Eastern Orthodox monk proportions, which I was OK with until I started having skin problems again. There was no way I could keep the beard. I can't use an electric razor on my face, because the irritation is painful (not just uncomfortable - painful), so I had to figure out a way to shave sitting down (I can and did use one to shave my head). My bathroom is too small to just bring in a chair.

(BTW I have a beard trimmer which I used to remove the bulk of the beard. I was able to stand while doing that because I held onto the vanity with one hand while trimming with the other.)

My shaving solution: after dragging out my shaving supplies, I ordered a large makeup mirror and a collapsible silicone bucket online. I go to my kitchen sink (with my rollator) and fill the bucket about halfway with hot water, then cover it. I grab a towel and a washcloth and go to my desk, which is set up so I can get in and out of my office chair (relatively) easily.

Just to round things out:
  • dip (nylon) shaving brush in hot water, wet face thoroughly
  • apply Cremo as preshave
  • wet fingers, then work in the Cremo
  • place shave cream on brush and lather up face
  • shave (2 passes), vigorously shaking the razor under water in the bucket to clean it after each stroke
  • wipe down face
  • apply witch hazel
  • repeat process for my head
  • agitate brush under water in the bucket to get rid of as much soap as possible
  • next time I get up, go to the kitchen sink, empty and rinse bucket, rinse out brush with hot water
This has been working really well. If I have to shave, it's going to be a wet shave!
I feel for you. I had foot surgery last year and had to use one of those rollators after I got off the crutches. It was awful. I finally switched to a cane. It’s a wonder I didn’t fall and break something.

I also have back issues that cause sciatica in my right hip and leg. It would probably affect the foot too, but I have neuropathy so I couldn’t feel it anyway. Fortunately, I can stand for the 30 to 45 minutes it takes to shave.

Good luck, and stay safe.

I do something similar though for a different reason. The tap water in my bathroom does not get as hot as I like for shaving so I microwave a milk pitcher of water. I pour that into my bathroom sink for my shave and don't use the tap except for my post shave rinse and clean up. In a way it adds to the nostalgia.

How true

Top Bottom