What's new

Unused Postwar Tech: Use or Not?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In an effort to acquire “like new”, user grade vintage razors, I sailed too close to the wind and ended up with what appears to be a never used, postwar fat handle Gold Tech.

It is not NOS - no box or packaging. But it still has the paper “blade insert” (what are these called?), and the gold wash is immaculate but for some handling marks and a little oxidation.

So, I’m soliciting opinions: to use or not to use? (Note: I’m a novice, not yet a serious collector, and I am on a budget, so “just buy more” - while a good answer - probably doesn’t apply).

On the NO side, there is a finite number of unused Gold Tech razors; once it’s used, it’s gone. Also, given the infamous nature of Gillette’s gold wash, it’s a question of when, not if, I will be responsible for wear & tear.

On the YES side, this will never be a museum piece; there’s no packaging; there are millions of Tech razors out there.

Also, at the risk of sounding dopey, do I owe it to this razor to let it fulfill the role for which it was intended? This poor, lonely razor has sat for nearly 75 years, unloved, unused, shorn from its box, forgotten in a drawer. Shouldn’t it have the chance to show me what it can do; to give a world-class shave and have me joyfully sing its praises?

*You may be able to tell how I am leaning; but I am open to listening if more experienced hands all scream, “Noooooooo!” Thanks.
Life is too short. Use it and enjoy it. :)

use it! I have one with a custom etching by @HDSledge plus replateView attachment 1502681 by Back Roads Gold. It is now more precious than if it still lived in the box of its manfacture.
That looks awesome. I agonized over which artwork to use and the running wolf was the perfect choice. So happy that I got it centered. The whole process is fraught with potential failure from start to finish but this one turned out great.

It doesn't look totally mint but few Gillettes ever did when new anyway. I've got two gold razors in similar condition, a pre-date ball end Tech that came in the box with some Blue Blades and a 48-51 Aristocrat. I use both but only a few times a year as I like just looking at them on my shelf o' razors and would like to preserve their finish to some degree.

I understand guys collecting fine examples of razors complete with original packaging and not using them but otherwise, it's nice to give all your razors a spin, some maybe less often than others.

Use it, of course.
Since I started DE shaving some 11 years ago, I've bought two NOS vintage Gillettes ( a Slim adj. and a Black Beauty), The first thing to do when got them, was to shave with them. The Slim is still one of my daily shavers.

I will keep everyone in suspense no longer - it has been used once, gently. I’ll be sure to take her out for a spin every so often, but not as my daily driver.
Glad you did. You may be the only generation that appreciates it. The younger generation have their faces glued to the TV playing video games, and others walking around like zombies texting on their phones.
Text Chat GIF by Iliza

Glad you did. You may be the only generation that appreciates it. The younger generation have their faces glued to the TV playing video games, and others walking around like zombies texting on their phones.
Text Chat GIF by Iliza
I feel like this habit transcends generations, for better or worse.

Late to the thread!
Awesome that you used it!
Anything I'd buy NOS is to use it.
I personally wouldn't be able to contain myself!
The feeling of being the first to use something that old is very special.
I just got 2 NOS Schick Krona's and one of them is
coming out of the box this week for it's first time ever!

I buy vintage razors to use. I have three vintage ball end Tech's. The one I use most often is a 1962 model that came to me hardly used with a vintage Made Rite brush also hardly used. My 1951 Tech is also in quite good condition, but my (no date code) gold plated '46-'51 model shows its age more since the gold plating is worn off some.

Here is the 1951 ball end Tech.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Reactions: CCS
In an effort to acquire “like new”, user grade vintage razors, I sailed too close to the wind and ended up with what appears to be a never used, postwar fat handle Gold Tech.

It is not NOS - no box or packaging. But it still has the paper “blade insert” (what are these called?), and the gold wash is immaculate but for some handling marks and a little oxidation.

So, I’m soliciting opinions: to use or not to use? (Note: I’m a novice, not yet a serious collector, and I am on a budget, so “just buy more” - while a good answer - probably doesn’t apply).

On the NO side, there is a finite number of unused Gold Tech razors; once it’s used, it’s gone. Also, given the infamous nature of Gillette’s gold wash, it’s a question of when, not if, I will be responsible for wear & tear.

On the YES side, this will never be a museum piece; there’s no packaging; there are millions of Tech razors out there.

Also, at the risk of sounding dopey, do I owe it to this razor to let it fulfill the role for which it was intended? This poor, lonely razor has sat for nearly 75 years, unloved, unused, shorn from its box, forgotten in a drawer. Shouldn’t it have the chance to show me what it can do; to give a world-class shave and have me joyfully sing its praises?

*You may be able to tell how I am leaning; but I am open to listening if more experienced hands all scream, “Noooooooo!” Thanks.
Use. I use every razor I have collected, at least once anyway. Some more carefully than others.

Top Bottom