What's new

Untappd App

Does anyone else use this beer drinking app? I got it a little while ago and I'm trying to figure it out while I drink beer.

For those that don't know basically you use it to keep track of beers you are drinking and where you are drinking them. You can find new beers, places to drink, and breweries through it. You can also see what friends and other people have been drinking and what they have to say about different brews.

Untappd is pretty big if you're into the craft beer scene. You have to add your friends to it and some of them aren't necessarily searchable but you can see what people are drinking at places close to you if they have their account set up to do so. I found a beer at a bar the other day using it. :)

You can also comment on what your friends are posting and why they rated it so. Or whaere they got it. So many options.

I tried it, but found it rather clunky to use. I also abhor the "look how many beers I've tried" mentality in the craft beer scene. As a judge, I've tried hundreds of beers, but don't have to proclaim it to my friends on Untappd, or make hundreds of snobby reviews on Beer Advocate.

I know its made for the average beer drinker, but I wasnt a fan of the "rating" system the app uses either. My idea was to use it as kind of a personal way to keep notes about beers I tried. I think its much easier for me at least to just fill out a BJCP judge form and keep it on file.

I tried it, but found it rather clunky to use. I also abhor the "look how many beers I've tried" mentality in the craft beer scene. As a judge, I've tried hundreds of beers, but don't have to proclaim it to my friends on Untappd, or make hundreds of snobby reviews on Beer Advocate.

I know its made for the average beer drinker, but I wasnt a fan of the "rating" system the app uses either. My idea was to use it as kind of a personal way to keep notes about beers I tried. I think its much easier for me at least to just fill out a BJCP judge form and keep it on file.
Yeah makes sense if you already have a system for keeping beers on file, and as for the beer snobs and hipsters, I always get a good laugh out of them when I tell them about how some micro brews are amazing but I can still get enjoyment from Lucky Lager or Cariboo Honey.

I use it more for the "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?! I want to try it..." Kind of fun with friends in different states that can't get the same beers you can and vice-versa.

I use it more for the "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?! I want to try it..." Kind of fun with friends in different states that can't get the same beers you can and vice-versa.
That is sort of what I'm using it for, I have a buddy in the army, a few friends in the US, and some others that love to travel. Seems like a handy tool to find new and exciting beers from other places.

I just discovered it and like the ability to keep track and make notes of the beers I drink. So many times I find myself at the liquor store wondering if I've tried something.

Last edited:
I like it because I can look back and see how I've rated a certain beer. I know then if I want to order that beer again as it could be several months in between going back to the bar or establishment where I first had it. I'm not an official "beer judge" so I don't have forms to fill out but I think the app does what most people need it to do. My friends use it also so I get a bunch of good info from them when they try new beers because I know their taste in beers and I can pretty accurately judge whether or not I would want to order a certain beer based on their short review and rating. For a free app I think it's a great tool for the average beer drinker who doesn't want to carry around files of beer reviews when they go out.

I love the app. I use it more for personal use than for the social aspect (I do have a few friends how use it but we usually drink together). I like the updated ranking system, it allows for .5 increments. The similar recommendations feature is great for other beers you might like. The only downside is adding beers/breweries that are not in the system is a little bit of a pain. In all it is a great app and much better than any other apps like it (I have tried a few). All they need is one like it for wine.

I just discovered it and like the ability to keep track and make notes of the beers I drink. So many times I find myself at the liquor store wondering if I've tried something.

+ 1 exactly why I love this app! And to see what great beers my East Coast friends get and their thoughts on stuff I cannot get here on So. Cal.

I'm on untappd; feel free to PM if you want to friend me over there. The biggest problem I have with it is the multiple entries for the same beer under different styles.

Top Bottom