What's new

Unknown pen: replace nib?

I have just rediscovered my 20 or something years old pen, which has received some hard handling, and could really need a new nib.
The original nib has taken a solid beating, and looks like it's cracked. The cracked "nib part" is not aligned in the same position as the other half, and if I bend it into position, it will bend back out of alignment when used.

The pen is marked "STYB design" and the nib has STYB ingraved, I have not found any other markings. I don't know anything about this pen, as I received it as a small child (which also explains the unfit handling.) It uses standard international cartridges.

STYB design small.png

nib.jpg

Does anyone know if this nib can be replaced? And do you have any tip for a cheap eBay nib replacement to try in the pen? Or even a cheap eBay pen to purchase just to steal the nib from it?

I looks like the nib/feed part is perhaps held in place with the help of a small "dot" on the inside of the yellow plastic grip section. (Sorry for the bad explanation, English is my second language, and I don't know what to call it. Please see attached photo.)

back view.jpg

side view.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That nib was corroded by the ink. It's a cheap steel nib (no tipping) that could probably be replaced and would only be worth it as a memento of your school days.

See if you can wiggle it out of there, measure the length and buy a Chinese nib for it. Could be a number 5 at 26mm, those are plentiful.

Something like this, they're as cheap as chips. I've used these before and don't understand how they can do it!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That’s a tough one, bro. I think your best bet is to scour eBay for the same model pen to donate the nib. If that doesn’t work, I like @nemo ’s idea to try a Chinese #5. It’s hard to tell details from the picture, but it looks similar to a Platinum Preppy nib too. Preppies cost like $3. If all else fails, you could send it into a nibmeister/nib technician/whatever to have it professionally repaired if the sentimental value is worth it to you.

Thank you @nemo for that reply. Will the curvature of those nibs be a little bit flexible? What I mean is, if the nibs are ment for a feed with the diameter of 5 mm, and my feed is not exactly the right size (let's say 4 mm in diameter), will I still be able to curve those nibs around my feed and make it work? Sorry if that's a stupid question, I have never before tried to change a nib on my fountain pens.

I will try and wiggle out the nib, but there's years of dried ink in the pen, so I suspect it could take some time with soaking and wiggling.

And another possibly stupid question: is the feed part interchangable between pens?

I love your suggestion about the Preppy, @tankerjohn, it is a wonderful pen for the prize tag! Unfortunately, it's not the same nib as my pen, I think the Platinum Preppy has a wider feed opening in the grip section.
preppy.jpg

The sentimental value is not big enough to send it in for a professional repair, but it would be great to get the pen working again. So I compared it to a couple of my fountain pens. Left to right: Pilot 78G, unknown STYB pen, Jinhao White Wood (cheap eBay fountain pen)

20200224_010446.jpg

To me, the Jinhao nib looks like it could be the same size as my unknown pen. Does any of you know if Jinhao uses #5 Chinese nibs?

Top Bottom