What's new

Uneven honing

Hi,

I'm fairly new to honing. I just did 2 blades. I set the bevel with a Norton 1K and then did a pyramid on a Norton 4K/8K. Both got much sharper at the toe and heel but NOT the center of the blade. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Thanks.

The hone may need to be lapped or, if you are moving the blade straight down the hone, you may need to do an X-stroke. Watch the water as it flows over the top of the razor. If it's not flowing over the razor you may not have spent enough time on the lower grits or the blades could be warped.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to honing. I just did 2 blades. I set the bevel with a Norton 1K and then did a pyramid on a Norton 4K/8K. Both got much sharper at the toe and heel but NOT the center of the blade. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Thanks.

What is the shape of the blades and the shape of the beveled edges? straight, smiling, frown?

This sounds like something I would expect from frown shaped blades unless you were using a rolling x pattern stroke. A rolling x pattern could have results like that if you used uneven pressure or didn't make enough contact with the center portion of the blade.

If the shape of the blade is straight and you are using a normal stroke with even pressure (almost none), it might just need a few more passes to set a good bevel.

A rolling x pattern should sharpen a blade evenly and prevent frowns. But it is used mostly for smiling blades so the heel and toe make as much contact with the stone as the center portion of the blade.

Top Bottom