What's new

Uneven Coticule/BBW

So I was just looking at my coti/bbw and I noticed that it's not the same thickness throughout the entire length. The 4 corners measure 2@20mm(same side) and 2@18mm(also same side). Maybe this is a better description I put a pencil on it and it rolled off the other side (it rolled the width of the stone not the length). Also I should mention it came lapped but when I noticed this I lapped it again and both sides are flat. Any suggestions as to what I should do, it seems like quite a bit to lap off 2mm and since it's already flat I don't really know how to even it out. Is this normal with natural stones and just something that adds to their romance?

I tried using it and it seems that the razor sits flat on the stone throughout the stroke it just feels awkward since the razor is at an angle.

Thoughts or suggestion please.

My regular coti is flat and true, my bout is flat, but at angles, like you said. This isn't a problem as I hold them in my hand to hone and can get the razor to sit flat comfortably.

If my bout is sitting on the table it is clearly not level, despite being flat. I wouldn't want to waste several mm of coti deliciousness just for that.

Using a level, some silly putty, and a flat table, place the putty under the stone and malliate it until you get a firm grip on the table and level pitch to hone with
...or hone in yer hand if you've got the steadiness skills (I sure don't)!

Thanks for all the help fellas. I gotta say holding the stone really feels a lot better than placing it on the table. I've been playing around with the few stones I have and I must say I'm really liking the hone in hand method even with my larger Naniwa stones. It really makes the coti easier to use a less than the weight of the razor touch when finishing.

Thanks again all:thumbup:

Top Bottom