What's new

(UK) Interested in doing a DIY bay rum, anyone perfected a recipe? Can you use Isopropyl or Ethanol?

Hi Chaps

UK member here! Quite interested in making my own DIY Bay Rum! I reckon it takes the guess work out of trying to buy one that is decent, plus I wouldn't have to compromise with the ingredients.

I read that the higher the concentration of alcohol, the better for removing the essential oils from the whole spices you put in to steep. So surely some Isopropyl or Ethanol would be good for this, and better than using rum? (plus its dead cheap!)

I'm thinking of some ingredients along the lines of:

Isopropyl alcohol
Vanilla pods
Fresh grated ginger
Cloves
Crushed Allspice berries
Cinnamon stick
Orange and/or Lime zest
West Indian Bay leaf essential oil (can't get fresh WE bay leaves here. I've read that you can use our Bay Laurel leaves, but i'm not sure i'd trust doing that)

Once steeped, then add some Witch Hazel to bring the alcohol level down a bit and add some skin conditioning, and some glycerin for its moisturising properties...Some menthol crystals in there might be fun too...or maybe that's going a bit overboard!!

Anyone here got a recipe down to a tee? Any thoughts on my above list?

I think I would prefer one that is well spiced (but not too strong on the cloves), and very citrus too.

It would be great to do a big batch of something and we all split halves on the ingredients and divide it up, but the recipe would have to be decent. Some vintage style brown glass bottles would be nice to finish it off!

Thoughts gents? :)

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Ehow.com and theartofmanlines.com both have similar recipes. I do like the thought of putting in glycerin ande menthol. I use dark rum and 200 proof SDA 40-B. It's 99.88% ethanol and .12% t-butyl alcohol. It's perfumers alcohol. I got it from ebay or you can go directly to the site. Creatingperfume.com. I've used Everclearly in the past , but I'm curious to see how this perfumers alcohol is going to work.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I don't think menthol would be going overboard. I've never used cloves in mine and the witch hazel and vanilla sound like a good idea.

Start searching, the info on mix rations is out there.

I studied and had I idea of what I wanted to try, but got side tracked and don't remember anymore.

Top Bottom