What's new

Two Restoration Questions - Weight and Loft

I have been doing OK at cleaning and reviving some razors and now I have the itch to try a brush. A couple of questions:

1. For balance - what is a good weight for the handle alone? Just curious when I clean one out and possibly add some weight, what should the total handle weigh tbe approximately.

2. Knot loft/setting -

• How deep should I set the knot?
  • Is there a "golden ratio" or rule of thumb for the proportion of the loft of the knot to the height of the handle. For instance, should the loft of the set knot equal the height of the handle? Should it exceeed the height by some factor, say 1.5x?

Thanks in advance for your help with a total tyro.

BSAGuy

Mike H

Instagram Famous
It is all personal preference. I like a handle with a weight between 1.5 and 2.0 ounces.
On a large knot 24 and up, I like a ratio of ~1:2 so a 24mm knot set at 48-52
On smaller knots, the ratio goes up... 18mm knot set at 40-45. The beauty is that when you do a restoration yourself, you can set the knot at various lofts and try it out to see what works best for you. Use a small drop of silicon to hold the knot.

As far as handle to loft ratio, there is no standard, a chubby handle height is equal to loft, on a Barber shop brush, the loft could be half the handle length.

Thanks so much, Mike. I really appreciate the input. That is exactly what I was looking for. Have a great day.

I have been wondering the same things. I went to the sites that sell brushes and looked at several brands that gave the loft and overall height dimensions and figure i will go from there. Also the sites like TGN give the loft of the knots (usually like 65mm) then I can tell how deep to set it when I get it. As far as weight goes, I compared my Edwin Jagger brush to the handle I am restoring and just added filler so it won't be top heavy.
Good luck BSAGuy

Top Bottom