What's new

TV series I miss seeing

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Used to be that every city had a couple of UHF stations that bought rights to reruns and ran them all day. But nowadays TVLand and MeTV virtually control access to all syndicated shows. If they don't schedule them, no one sees them. What shows do you miss? Here are just a few I'd like to see, not in any particular order.
McHale's Navy
The Odd Couple
Spenser: For Hire
Lou Grant
Ironside

I bet not many here are old enough to remember these. Ah, the golden days of 50s tv when a half hour show only had 4 minutes of commercials.

Crusader Rabbit & Rags the Tiger. The precursor to Rocky & Bullwinkle. Same show, same voices with cruder drawings. I remember liking it better than Rocky & Bullwinkle.
Winky Dink and You. Convincing your mom to order that plastic to cover your 12" tv screen, before drawing on it with crayons to help Winky escape. Ah, the memories of hearing parents yelling that you'll go blind being that close to the tv, not to mention scrubbing crayons off the screen if you lost or forgot the plastic.
Million Dollar Movie. Nothing better as a kid than watching the same old movie (King Kong, Godzilla, Rodan, Gunga Din, etc) for a week straight. Two showings on weekday evenings and 3 showings on Sat & Sun. Loved it.
Zacherle, the ghoul hosting Sat afternoon horror films and doing brain (califlower) surgery on the wife during breaks.
Abbott and Costello tv show.
Soupy Sales. A favorite, with white fang and black tooth, and absolutely insane. Pies in the face and him telling kids to go into mom's purse and send him paper money. I think that last bit got him suspended or cancelled.
Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon serials from the 30s and 40s on tv after school.
The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette.
American Bandstand. Late 50s-early 60s.

Oh man...Archie Bunker. "All in the Family" was an iconic show. I've seen a lot of episodes because they're on YouTube for free and I've laughed till I cried more than once.

Some of the ones I really enjoyed I collected on DVD, like Columbo and Ellery Queen. One I'd like to see that I haven't found is Switch, with Eddie Albert and Robert Wagner.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, All in the Family was great, perhaps the all time most revolutionary TeeVee show, though it probably couldn't make network TV in this day and age. Thing is with that one, maybe just me, but the lines & the humor were so indelibly etched into memory that I don't enjoy it in re-runs.

I'd like to see another episode of Zorro, the Real McCoys, and I'll second McHale's Navy

Hill Street Blues, High Incident, Homicide Life on the Street (seasons 1 to 4 were incredible, seasons 5 to 7 sucked), Third Watch and Southland were all very good police procedurals. Shame how some of them ended. Homicide took on a bunch of new writers between seasons 4 and 5 and the series went downhill. High Incident and Southland had great reviews but couldn't get the viewers so were cancelled between seasons.

Also some excellent opening credits

The Thick of It was very good if you like British comedy and artfully crafted vulgarity. Warning, there is rather vivid profanity in the following clip.

Last edited:
We watched Queen of the South on Netflix
It has some questionable scenes,, but overall was quite good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A lot of shows people are mentioning here are available in full series DVD sets at Menards for like $30 each. They are NOT studio releases but rather put out by a 3rd party and the video compression is steep in order to fit all seasons of a show on a small number of discs and sell for $30.

If you really don't care about video quality (or just want it to look like crap like it did 30-50 years ago), then run out and buy these sets. I got my eye on the Quantum Leap and Married With Children sets; the latter will probably be "cancelled" soon so maybe I should hurry and buy it.

I also want to watch all the Monkees again. I taped them all on VHS as a kid but those tapes are long gone.

Fargo

proxy.php

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Rod Serling’s Night Gallery
Bewitched
The Night Stalker
The Munsters
H.R. Puff N’ Stuff
Land Of The Giants
The Wild Wild West
Kung Fu

Last edited:
Back in my day, it were:
Steptoe and Son
Morecambe and Wise
Coronation Street
Stingray and Thunderbirds
The Avengers, Danger Man, and The Saint
Callan and Department S
Mystery and Imagination
and, of course...Z-Cars!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I revisited some of my childhood favourites like The Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe (a wonderful theme tune), The Singing Ringing Tree, The Water Margin, and The Flashing Blade. I was disappointed as, like many things, and many people, they were not as good as I remembered them; some things are best left in the past. Maybe it is me that has changed.

Top Bottom