What's new

Tutorial on DE razor parts breakdown and how to properly change blade

Can't seem to find anything on this through search. This might be silly, but the directions I got with my Merkur were all in German. Which seemed relatively easy with installing the blade, I was wanting to double check to make sure it is done properly. Thanks

Which Merkur? Let us know which one and perhaps some one can help. For the most part the HD and the other non-TTO razors are easy to change blades and clean.

Grasp the head of the razor by ends (the narrow parts of the head) between your thumb and forefinger. Next grasp the end of the razor with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand. Be sure you have it gripped toward the bottom of the razor on the knob. Now simply twist the knob and the top will come loose and eventually you will be able to remove it.

This leaves you with two parts. The top which has 3 pins on it. The long one is what goes into the handle of the razor to keep the top on and the two smaller ones on each side also help hold the blade in proper position. Lay down the handle and with the top still in your hand place the blade over the three pins. Note that the blade does not have a top or bottom. With the blade lying on the top simply replace the top onto the bottom and twist the knob at the bottom of the handle the opposite way and tighten.

There, you have just installed a DE blade into a Merkur HD or other non-TTO razor.

Top Bottom