What's new

TurnNShave Synthetic knots

I've been searching for reviews and thoughts on TurnNShave synthetics but there has been individual posts about single knots or just talks about synthetics in general mixed in. I'd thought to create a thread just focused on TurnNShave synthetics to discuss and talk about the knots.

If you have been looking for well-performing and nice-feeling synthetics, TurnNShave probably came up in your search. Milton is known to have a lot of selections in his etsy shop for reasonable prices. I haven't tried any but I've heard so many good things about the knots. Therefore, I ordered them couple weeks back and got them yesterday.

TurnNShave synthetics.jpg

Angel 25mm - Quartermoon 26mm - Fan Timberwolf (26mm) - Boss batch 2 24mm

I just set them last night so I should be able to test it out today. When I felt the knots by itself, they all felt great. I went for soft, easy-to-splay, and lower backbone options and these seem to fit that very well. The boss batch 2 has a bit more backbone than the rest but nothing ridiculous.

I'll be back to talk more about the knots and their performance and feel. My guess is that they will perform well like any other synthetic but the feel will be different as they are mostly fan-shaped.

What have been your experience with TurnNShave synthetic knots? Are you interested in getting one, didn't like one, or enjoy using one? I'd appreciate any discussions or reviews on the various knots. TurnNShave also does custom brushwork if anyone is interested in it. Also, let me know if there are duplicate threads but I haven't seen one focused on TurnNShave knots.

I am definitely interested in them. On my radar right now are the 25mm Quartermoon and the 26mm SilverSynth. In general, I like more fan-shaped than bulb. Just deciding on which to get and getting the handle custom made to fit my choice.

I am definitely interested in them. On my radar right now are the 25mm Quartermoon and the 26mm SilverSynth. In general, I like more fan-shaped than bulb. Just deciding on which to get and getting the handle custom made to fit my choice.
Nice. My 26mm Quartermoon feels very soft with mid-backbone. I think 25mm Quartermoon is slightly less softer.

I have 26mm Quartermoon and Hawk knots here at the house but have never set them in handles. I may order some cheap handles from APShaveCo and give them a go at some point.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
There are Turn-N-Shave knots in several of my brushes:

@Graydog brushes use the Full Moon and Silver Synth.
Put a Boss V1 in the @Rudy Vey 2019 Contributor Brush.
Full Moon and Quarter Moon knots in Charcoal Goods handles.
Silver Synth knot in a 'no name' resin handle.

The knots perform very well with the Full Moon and Boss V1 being my favorites. :)

YMMV :)

There are Turn-N-Shave knots in several of my brushes:

@Graydog brushes use the Full Moon and Silver Synth.
Put a Boss V1 in the @Rudy Vey 2019 Contributor Brush.
Full Moon and Quarter Moon knots in Charcoal Goods handles.
Silver Synth knot in a 'no name' resin handle.

The knots perform very well with the Full Moon and Boss V1 being my favorites. :)

YMMV :)
That's a nice collection of TNS synthetics! I got a similar synthetic to Full Moon called Duro. One of my favorites as well.

Testing out my first TNS knot, Boss batch 2 24mm, set in Stirling handle.

IMG_20200707_161717_2.jpg

First of all, I really dig the look. Something attractive about simple black and ivory colors.

As for the Feel of the knot, it feels decent for me. The tips are soft but bristles have mid-backbone and resistance. The knot splays easily but being a 24mm, doesn't give a full dense feel. It's not my favorite so far but it's not bad either.

As for the Performance of the knot, it lathers up well. It's really hard for me to describe the performance because every synthetic tends to perform well. Here's a picture of my lather session w/ Stirling peach + siliski test base.

Stirling peach and siliski 1.jpg
Stirling peach and siliski 2.jpg

Some miscellaneous findings, the knot shed around 10 hairs initially. A little worrying but I don't think it'll continue. It cleans and rinses easily like most synthetics and within 5-10min, it's fairly dry. This has been only my first use of the knot so my findings might change. I'll report if I see any significant changes or something to note.

I used my 26mm Quartermoon knot for the first time and boy, is it nice. It is probably the closest thing to the perfect synthetic that I am looking for: Soft tips, low-mid backbone, dense, and feels great on the face. It performs like a champ despite the high loft that I set it at (58mm). Also, it's a Fan shape so it splays real easy. I'll report on FRI with a SOTD findings.

I'm a huge fan of TNS synthetics!

I have the angel hair, quarter moon, full moon and his chess piece brush.

The full moon is my favorite.
The angel and quarter moon are tied as I love both of them. The angel has a beautiful splay to it and the quarter moon has that little bit extra backbone but still good splay.

My #1 synthetic is by far the silvertip fibre but the full moon is my #2!!

I'm a huge fan of TNS synthetics!

I have the angel hair, quarter moon, full moon and his chess piece brush.

The full moon is my favorite.
The angel and quarter moon are tied as I love both of them. The angel has a beautiful splay to it and the quarter moon has that little bit extra backbone but still good splay.

My #1 synthetic is by far the silvertip fibre but the full moon is my #2!!
I got both Angel and Quartermoon! I'm loving the quartermoon already and I'm planning to find a handle for the Angel knot later on.

Reactions: nav
I have a hawk 28 mm. It is a a great performer but I don't enjoy it at all. It needs a bit of force to splay it.
Hawk does have a lot of backbone. It feels nice once splayed but it does take that extra force. I'd suggest the Fan Timberwolf knot and Angel knot if you don't like the added backbone. These seem very easy to splay.

I’ll be following with a keen interest

I have had a couple of discussions with Milton but something has always come up

I still want a TNS brush. I have a RR big Bruce and an EJ synthetic silver tip in medium Size

I love the EJ so whatsomething as close to that as possible

Testing out my first TNS knot, Boss batch 2 24mm, set in Stirling handle.

View attachment 1122970

First of all, I really dig the look. Something attractive about simple black and ivory colors.

As for the Feel of the knot, it feels decent for me. The tips are soft but bristles have mid-backbone and resistance. The knot splays easily but being a 24mm, doesn't give a full dense feel. It's not my favorite so far but it's not bad either.

As for the Performance of the knot, it lathers up well. It's really hard for me to describe the performance because every synthetic tends to perform well. Here's a picture of my lather session w/ Stirling peach + siliski test base.

View attachment 1122971 View attachment 1122972

Some miscellaneous findings, the knot shed around 10 hairs initially. A little worrying but I don't think it'll continue. It cleans and rinses easily like most synthetics and within 5-10min, it's fairly dry. This has been only my first use of the knot so my findings might change. I'll report if I see any significant changes or something to note.

This is making me feel like an idiot. I LOVED the look of my Stirling boar but it just didn't perform as well as my other boars so I sold it - never even thinking of reknotting it. DOH!

Top Bottom