What's new

Tuck at a Time (TaaT)

Committing to using the same type of blades for ten days is something I rarely do. I recently acquired the Crystal Israeli's and I'm really happy with them. I'll pull out another tuck at some point but first it's back to daily random selections. I have to finish these sooner or later!

IMG_6926.jpg
IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6616.jpeg

Monday, April 29, 2024

Pre-Shave: warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4/5) (1)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: House of Mammoth - Indigo / TOBS - Mr Taylor's Shaving Cream / YBN Glycerin
Alum: none
A/S: POLA - Galantom II after shave lotion
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Creed - Royal Oud Millesime

BBS with a GSB in the Mühle Rocca. This is the 4th blade in this tuck and it will accompany for this week's shaves. The tuck will be completed by the end of next week and I'm already thinking which tuck to attack next. I have an open tuck with Chinese Suneko blades or I could revisit Gillette Platinums. I might just complete the open Suneko tuck, as it bothers me lying around open, but I'll probably "one and done" them. They come in a tuck of tens and it would simply take too long for my taste to use each blade thrice. We'll see after next week.

Monday, April 29 2024

Treet New Edge blade (1)
Yaqi Ferrari shaving brush
Yintal razor Cobbled head (Maggard V3A?)
Figaro Shaving Cream shaving soap
Aftershave Figaro Facial Cream Argan Fragrance

2024-04-29 .png

Here I am, good morning everyone!
I start my week and this time it won't be GSB but I want to take out the Treet New Edge package that I had opened already more than a month and a half ago.
I'm going back to a using a razor I haven't used in a long time, m me it seems to be a Yintal cobbled type head or a Maggard V3A?

Those more experienced than me will be able to tell.
I don't remember which was which, but it was very aggressive and you have to be very careful, in my case I used it very gently and it didn't irritate my skin.

Have a great start to the week!

Evening shave - 4/27/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Derby Premium (3/5) (4)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 10065 Boar
Aftershave: Clubman Whiskey Woods
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Solid comfortable shave with the Swing. This razor is growing on me each time I use it. It is becoming easier to use. It does not seem as "dangerous" to use as it used to do to me. Not a lick of irritation.

Evening shave - 4/28/24
Razor: RazoRock Mentor
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (1)
Aftershave: Clubman Lustray Blue Spice
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Extremely smooth shave. Almost marble like skin. Razor does have some alignment issues, but as long as you know this and adjust accordingly it is smooth sailings. Closest shave in a good while. Very close to BBS.

@awk_m4

I like that you always use the same blade or change it but the razor remains unique always the Henson.

I admire you! If I still had the Henson I too would only use that one.

I owned the Henson until earlier this year, for a couple of years, then I gave it to my brother to convince him to give up the multi-blade.

I tried to give him Feather Popular, EJ 89,Fatip and other razors of mine he never accepted until he saw the Henson and tried it.
As blades he exclusively uses Astra SS and Wilkinson Economie, I admire him because he can keep only a small selection of blades.
We agree, I too will always use GSB blades in the future if they don't run out of stock. :biggrin1:

@Pinto90 thank you for the kind words! I do get variety from soaps, blades, and brushes, but the one constant is the razor. Henson razors are excellent. I've used many DE razors and for me the Henson is better than anything I've ever used before. Muhle R89, Merkur 34c, and the Feather AS-D2 have all been sold or given away.
I still have my vintage Gillette's and will someday let those go as well. Their are other razors on the market that I'm sure are fantastic but I have no desire to shave with anything else. Consistent excellence is what Henson razors give me.

Evening shave - 4/29/24
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (2)
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Another great shave with this combination. Not quite as close as the previous shave, but still a very nice shave. I contribute the slightly less closeness to my own doing and not paying attention. Anyways very respectable. No issues.

Frankrazor with Yaqi Cobbled head, Indian handle
Treet New Edge razor blade (2)
Vitos coconut shaving cream soap
Boreal Shaving Brush
Aftershave Prep Dermoprotective Cream in Jar

Second use of the Treet New Edge blade, with Yaqi Cobbled head and Vitos coconut shaving soap.
The blade continues to maintain its consistent cut, in a moderate head that gave me a deep BBS with no cuts and no irritation.
I am surprised at the result offered by the combination of this razor combined with the razor blade, very smooth skin with an exhilarating experience this time as well.
I cannot say anything about the durability of the blade, it might last two or three shaves but this blade in my opinion deserves to be considered at least for a try.
One of my best shaves ever.

IMG_6625.jpeg

Wednesday May 1, 2024

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash / YBN Glycerin
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4/5) (2)
Bowl: DSC Bauhinia Travel Bowl
Cream: Speick Shaving Cream
A/S: Mühle Sandalwood Aftershave Balm
Aftercare: Witchazel Rose Petal Toner / Aloe Vera
EdP: Hermes - Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

Almost done with this tuck. GSB's are giving me amazing shaves. I had a little mishap today though when I applied too much pressure at some point during the shave. No blood though. I felt that lapse in focus immediately and I guess the blade didn't really reach any blood vessels. Maybe that says something about the "accuracy" of this blade.

I applied some Witch Hazel and dabbed the styptic pencil a couple of times on the area and that was pretty much it. There is an "injury" nevertheless as I can feel a slight sting in that area, feels like slight scrape on the surface but nothing can be seen.

This was for sure a teachable moment for me: never lose focus on the blade - respect the blade, it WILL bite.

Wednesday May 1, 2024
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Samhain
Razor: Henson ++
Blade: Feather (4/5)

IMG_6948 (1).jpg

View attachment 1838820
Wednesday May 1, 2024

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash / YBN Glycerin
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4/5) (2)
Bowl: DSC Bauhinia Travel Bowl
Cream: Speick Shaving Cream
A/S: Mühle Sandalwood Aftershave Balm
Aftercare: Witchazel Rose Petal Toner / Aloe Vera
EdP: Hermes - Un Jardin Sur Le Nil

Almost done with this tuck. GSB's are giving me amazing shaves. I had a little mishap today though when I applied too much pressure at some point during the shave. No blood though. I felt that lapse in focus immediately and I guess the blade didn't really reach any blood vessels. Maybe that says something about the "accuracy" of this blade.

I applied some Witch Hazel and dabbed the styptic pencil a couple of times on the area and that was pretty much it. There is an "injury" nevertheless as I can feel a slight sting in that area, feels like slight scrape on the surface but nothing can be seen.

This was for sure a teachable moment for me: never lose focus on the blade - respect the blade, it WILL bite.
Heal quickly there my friend!

Evening shave - 4/30/24
Blade: Derby Premium (4/5) (3)
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Aftershave: Clubman Citrus Musk
Rating: 9.25/10, DFS++
This shave ended up decievingly close. I did not think I had a great shave until after a while post shave. I was smoooooth. I did however have a bit tightness and stiffness in my face, but no weepers on my face. Still here 10 hours post shave I am smoooth DFS+. Not sure I want it this close on a regular basis though since it would probably tear up my face. Very nice shave.

Finished Partial Tuck (4 blades) - Treet Platinum

I received a10-blade tuck with a sampler, and I didn't use many of them. I didn't remember why, but I hadn't gone back to it and even donated a bunch to the Great Blade Exchange. Well as I am doing TaaT, I went back to the remaining 4 blades and used it with both the Progress and Weber SS. Now I remember why I didn't go back to them.

Honestly, I found these to be mediocre, even with better technique and more aggressive razors than the 34C. The blades had trouble on the side of my chin and neck with lots of tugging. Even my sideburns/cheeks, which I could typically get BBS with most blades wasn't as close as it could get with 3 passes.

I did my typical 3 shaves per blade for the first two, one in each razor, then went for the second run with the other two blades. On Monday with a fresh blade, I shaved with the Weber in the morning, again a mediocre shave, and then shaved again that night as I needed to be out of the house early in the morning. Even with only half a day's worth of growth it still couldn't get close enough on the sideburns, nor my upper lip area. Today, after 1.5 days without shaving, I used the Progress and dialed it up to see if I could get this blade to work well. Nope. Tugged something fierce around my chin area and just really struggled to get a good shave. Very uncomfortable. At this point I have given up with these and will not go for 3 shaves per blade. Time to move on.

Finished Partial Tuck (4 blades) - Treet Platinum

I received a10-blade tuck with a sampler, and I didn't use many of them. I didn't remember why, but I hadn't gone back to it and even donated a bunch to the Great Blade Exchange. Well as I am doing TaaT, I went back to the remaining 4 blades and used it with both the Progress and Weber SS. Now I remember why I didn't go back to them.

Honestly, I found these to be mediocre, even with better technique and more aggressive razors than the 34C. The blades had trouble on the side of my chin and neck with lots of tugging. Even my sideburns/cheeks, which I could typically get BBS with most blades wasn't as close as it could get with 3 passes.

I did my typical 3 shaves per blade for the first two, one in each razor, then went for the second run with the other two blades. On Monday with a fresh blade, I shaved with the Weber in the morning, again a mediocre shave, and then shaved again that night as I needed to be out of the house early in the morning. Even with only half a day's worth of growth it still couldn't get close enough on the sideburns, nor my upper lip area. Today, after 1.5 days without shaving, I used the Progress and dialed it up to see if I could get this blade to work well. Nope. Tugged something fierce around my chin area and just really struggled to get a good shave. Very uncomfortable. At this point I have given up with these and will not go for 3 shaves per blade. Time to move on.
Wohooo finished tuck!

Top Bottom