What's new

Tried an Omega Syntex Today. First Synthetic.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I never used a synthetic brush before. I read a couple of people talking about the Omega Syntex, so i picked one up. It was stupid cheap, so there was no risk. I tried it today. My first impression was that the bristles look like something from a scrub brush I would use to wash my boat. I was skeptical to even try it. But I cleaned it with Dawn and soaked it for a couple of hours, then went to work. I gave it its first test with some Arko stick. I cut off a small chunk and whipped up a lather in a bowl. It made the lather quickly and easily. So far so good. Then I wet my face and started lathering up on the face. To my surprise, the brush felt soft and smooth. However, I didnt get that rich creamy lathering sensation I enjoy with my badgers. But, the end result lather was just fine. So I think the brush is performing better than expected, but the sensory pleasure I get with my badgers is just not there. I will have to give it another try. Is this feeling typical of synthetics in general? Or will a more expensive synthetic feel luxurious and creamy on my face like my badger brushes? I question this because even my $12 Escali Badger brush feels nice and pleasurable on my face. This Syntex does not. But the resulting lather was superb, and the shave was as expected after a nice lather. So i just dont really know what to think at this point.

proxy.php

I did a second "test" lather with some Proraso Red just to check it out. I was able to whip this up in about 10 seconds! Not bad! I will have to try shaving with something a bit more creamy like this when Im ready to test this brush again. End result? The jury is still out on this one.

proxy.php

Yes, from what I have read here at B&B, the Omega Syntex is pretty much an artifact relative to pretty much any other synthetic available today. I have never used that particular brush, but I can say with almost absolute certainty that any other synthetic will perform much differently.

There are a decent amount to choose from. You really did pick the bottom of the barrel.

Peace!

I don't have any experience with this particular brush, but I do have three different synthetic brushes. Just wanted to let you know there is no reason to soak a synthetic brush. The bristles don't absorb water. I quick dunk under the faucet or in a cup of water, then a shake is fine.

Good luck with your new brush!

Try the Omega Hi Brush. Much softer for slightly more $$.. The Plisson takes it to another level, but you pay for it...

I have two synthetic brushes, a Syntex and a Parker synthetic, and can say that they feel completely different. One isn't necessarily better, overall and objectively, than the other, but they're highly dissimilar. Personally I prefer the Parker, since it's less floppy, but I can get a good lather with either brush.

Omega I can say, the Hi brush anyway is a great bang for the buck, and the Plisson miles above. The Muhle and EJ options are even better as then you can pick a size. I have one in small as I love small brushes. Next stop, the Omega S Brush for me! It really intrigues me at the look and the money, and when I use actual hair brushes, boar is my thing. This Syntex though, something about the white throws me off?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for all the info guys. Its nice to know that there are options out there. This was a cheap little experiment. The Syntex was about $10 all in. As I mentioned, the lather was exceptionally good and very fast. Its the face feel that was a little off. I will have to try another one at some point. I recently invested in a Simpson Duke 3 in Best, and dont think Im going to get another brush for a while. I think the Badger brushes are just the best feeling on my face. But in the name of science and experimentation, I am in the midst of breaking in a brand new Omega 49 Boar brush. It should be ready to go in a couple of days. I am sure i will report on my finding.

I just broke in an Omega 49 and I really like it!

Some synthetics will feel better on the face than others, but in my experience, none of them feel like badger. The feel ... different. Not bad, just not the same. I enjoy using synths, badgers, boars and horse hair brushes. I even have a couple of mixed knots (a badger/boar and a badger/horse).

Omega I can say, the Hi brush anyway is a great bang for the buck, and the Plisson miles above. The Muhle and EJ options are even better as then you can pick a size. I have one in small as I love small brushes. Next stop, the Omega S Brush for me! It really intrigues me at the look and the money, and when I use actual hair brushes, boar is my thing. This Syntex though, something about the white throws me off?

I have Plisson and Muhle XL synthetic brushes, and an Omega 49 boar brush. I like the Muhle with my harder soaps (Mikes) and the Plisson with creams and croaps. Each of these brushes deliver fantastic lather results. The 49 has sat idle since they have arrived on the scene....

In my opinion, the Syntex is a fine looking brush that makes a great door stopper.

I'd really recommend spending a bit more, and buying a modern synthetic. The Omega already felt bad (to me) when I tried it 25 years ago, and I feel that no improvements were made to the brush since then.

Currently, there are some active threads with a lot of info on modern synthetic brushes. Recommended reading!

The Omega S-brush (about $12 delivered, Straight Razors Design) is a GREAT buy: cheap brush, excellent, no-fuss performer with all the hard soaps and croaps I use (face lathering exclusively). I imagine that the Hi-brush is a terrific buy as well. I actually like the S-brush as much as the Plisson synthetic and the Muhle HJM black fibre, which themselves are wonderful and inexpensive brushes (especially if you purchase the HJM at Connaught). The S-brush has more backbone and a bit of scritch--as opposed to the super-soft Plisson and the nearly as soft HJM--which I like.

In my opinion, the Syntex is a fine looking brush that makes a great door stopper.

I'd really recommend spending a bit more, and buying a modern synthetic. The Omega already felt bad (to me) when I tried it 25 years ago, and I feel that no improvements were made to the brush since then.

Currently, there are some active threads with a lot of info on modern synthetic brushes. Recommended reading!

I knew this was coming eventually! Door stopper! Classic! I need to go change my undies now! 25 years and still no improvement! I know door stoppers have seen considerable improvement over the years!

I remember the picture you posted in the other thread with the garbage!

Funny post!

Peace to all!

Plisson or muhle seems to be the way to go for synthetics, I haven't used a Muhle but I can highly recommend the Plisson, I've also seen a few people raving about the Omega S Brush

Please don't let this be your only exposure to synthetics. That brush was low end decades ago. Synthetic technology now is so much better. If you are looking for a really cheap but good synthetic get the omega s brush s10065 for about $10. A little higher end get the l'occitane synthetic for $30. For a top of the line get the Edwin Jagger STF size XL for about $80.

Plisson or muhle seems to be the way to go for synthetics, I haven't used a Muhle but I can highly recommend the Plisson, I've also seen a few people raving about the Omega S Brush

The S-Brush at around $10 is very nice and simulates a new boar very well, IMHO. The Hi-Brush at around $20 simulates a well broken-in boar very well, IMHO. Muhle synthetics are well above the Omega brushes and closer to simulating badgers.

So many choices and too little funds.....for the time being......

I'm not a fan of the handle, but I do like the knot of the The Grooming Company brushes. Not as good as my Edwin Jagger though.

I have it and I used yesterday.
It's small and cheap, not bad at all. It's also my travel brush.
Enjoy it mate!!

My apologies! I must be confusing you with another B&B member named Eeyore.

Hold on! I need to close the door..............
Can you please show me the picture then that you claim I posted?

I really have no idea what picture you meant. My sincere apologies if I am missing something obvious.

Edit: I have not held an Omega Syntex in over twenty years, so I am really at a loss here as to what picture you mean ... my guess is that someone else posted such a picture, and somehow you attribute that to me? Otherwise I'm really missing what you mean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom