What's new

Traveling with a DE

Don't answer this. I screwed up. Didn't realize that my previous post took. Sorry for the confusion. Been a long week.

I do a lot of traveling for my job. Because I'm such an ace packer, I do not check luggage. I can usually get everything into my wheelie bag and carry it on. I've read the TSA's website and I think it says you can carry one one. Just curious as to whether that is actually the case or whether it depends on who is actually scanning your bags at the airport.

No offense, but this topic seems to be coming up a lot these days.

The consensus is as follows when traveling in North America:
  • You can have the razor (without blades) in your carry-on, but even then you might run into trouble.
  • DE blades are not allowed in carry-on. You will hear stories of people getting them on without problems, but I think it's more a result of luck.
  • Cartridge razors (i.e. Mach 3) and their cartridges are allowed in carry-on. But good luck bringing shaving cream.

Your question is being discussed here in the thread you posted a few days ago. Read it.

DE and injector type blades are not allowed in carry on luggage. The bladeless razors are.

Yeah, the razor itself is fine, blades are not. You can check the blades, or put them in your bag and be prepared to dump them if TSA finds them. If you don't bring them or they get confiscated, you'll have to either find DE blades at your destination (which can be dicey), or find alternative shaving methods (disposables, M3/Fusion, etc.).

My suggestion: if only going for a few days and not checking a bag, put a disposable in your carry on and shave with that. If going for longer and you really need the DE, mail a package of blades to your destination. If you let hotels know in advance most will accept packages for you and have it waiting when you check in. This is also a good option for aftershaves, shaving creams, and other liquids/gels larger than 3oz.

Top Bottom