What's new

Trac II question?

First off thanks to all you wonderfull members who brought this razor to my attention, i love de shaving but some times need a quick fix for a shave and in the past have been using a aldi triple blade razor as they are cheap, after reading about this razor i ordered 1 from e bay which came with 5 un lubbed blades, while out in tesco i bought a pack of gillettes and tescos own for a try as they were so cheap and some from asda, again as the price is right, all these came with the lube strip and reading another post on here i see a lot of members buy the lubeless blades (cant find these in the uk) or otherwise take the lube strip off with a blade, why? does it improve the shave?

Personally, when I have used blades with a lube strip, I found the strip left a layer of goo on my face which I didn't like.

I learned on a Trac II shortly after their introduction. IIRC, the lube strip was the first of many "improvements" to the system. Can't recall if I liked and or/used the strip back then, but I know I was perfectly happy without the strip.

Don't know where to find in the UK (sorry!) but here in the 'States we can get the Personna Twin 2 blades (no strip, fit the Trac II) for about $3.50 for a 10 pack at Walmart. Hopefully they are also marketed by someone in the UK?

Back when I used a Trac II, I felt that the lube strip slightly improved the glide of my razor. IMO, it was more of a marketing gimmick. I remember that Wilkinson offered a cartridge with a strip that didn't lubricate, but rather retained moisture to improve quality of the shave. At least that was their claim.

-Clarke

I'm a TracII fan, BBS all the time...Here in Europe the GII blade (EU name) is still available with or without lubastrip, such as the USA Personna made ones (fits GII and Atra/Contour heads) but with lubastrip.

It's more propaganda adv. than real efficiency. If the lub' cames after the blades wich influence had on it?None of course.Sometimes the lub' will melt leaving kind a goo on your face.Is it good? No, a nice soap will do the job.

The lube strip is nothing more than a gimmick. If you are using a proper soap/ shaving cream (not canned gunk), any potential lubrication from the lube strip is fully unnecessary.

I agree with the strip being more of a gimmick. When I used the Trac II (over 30 years ago), I would apply canned foam, make one pass WTG, and immediately do an ATG pass without reapplying the foam. In this case, the residual lube from the strip did help some. As the strip wore away, I would notice a definite difference. I don't recall having any problems caused by the strip, but, back then, I didn't know what I was doing either.

-Clarke

Thanks all, i have tried a blade with each now and no real differance though from past experiance of other cartridges the lube strip will melt away and become a pain but as yet i have not found any lubeless blades in the uk but did manage to get the lube strip off easy with a blade so i will use my lubeless blades i had with my razor and then go from there.

I've never understood lube strips. You'd think they would be below the blade. I never felt like putting lube on my face after the blade has already gone over it would do anything...

Top Bottom