What's new

Too good to keep in the Speakeasy.home made ginger syrup!

In this thread the esteemed mr. SmoovD introduced me to ginger syrup.

Man oh man, it's too good to keep in the Speakeasy. Those looking for an alternative to HFCS ginger ale or high priced ginger beers need to check this out. It's also delicious on ice cream, in yogurt and on fruit.

I've modified the linked recipe slightly. I use a food processor to chop up the unpeeled ginger 'cause I'm a lazy bum, and I make a double batch, using a pound of ginger, but I only use seven cups of water...syrup gets syrupy within the one hour simmer time that way.

I've discovered that Asian markets in my area sell fresh ginger for about half what the area grocery stores do. My wife loves this stuff, claims it makes an awesome Dark and Stormy.

BTW, in that thread there is some discussion of celery syrup....too weird, so I had to try it. Surprisingly, this stuff is also delicious in club soda. I followed the Alton Brown recipe. I've found people either love it or hate it.

Give the ginger syrup a go, and the adventurous should try the celery syrup, too.

Good idea to spread the word on these syrups.

Like you, I make a double batch and it lasts me about two weeks. I do the old fashioned rough chop but the processor is a great idea. A YT video shows a guy using an immersion blender.

The recipe is nothing more than simple syrup with macerated ginger. Play with it or with the finished product. I like a wedge of lime along with the seltzer water. When it gets warmer I am thinking that a touch of cayenne might be a welcome addition.

As far as the celery syrup, it is another very simple recipe. Tasty with the bonus of a longer shelf life than the ginger. Tastes great as a soda, better in a cocktail. Bloody Mary's and New World gins are naturals pairings. Hendricks and a blurp of celery soda garnished with cucumber is excellent.

I made a batch of the ginger syrup. I am thinking thinking this would be better with peeled ginger. Anyone try it both ways and have any thoughts?

I made a batch of the ginger syrup. I am thinking thinking this would be better with peeled ginger. Anyone try it both ways and have any thoughts?

I have only made it peel on but the YT videos claim that there is no taste difference, only a color difference. The peel imparts a darker color. As long as the root has been washed I am cool with less work. On the other hand, the boiled ginger could be used to make candied ginger. In this case the peeled ginger would be the way to go.

I have only made it peel on but the YT videos claim that there is no taste difference, only a color difference. The peel imparts a darker color. As long as the root has been washed I am cool with less work. On the other hand, the boiled ginger could be used to make candied ginger. In this case the peeled ginger would be the way to go.

I saw that, too, but I am not sure I buy that all leaving the skin on does is darken the color, as much as I would like to avoid the work, too. It has been a while since I have done much with ginger, but I think I remember running into this same contention in the past and peeled was better, at least in other applications.

I probably should use ginger more often than I do.

Just did some research on-line. To peel or not peel ginger in general seems controversial, with some saying if the ginger is "young" it need not be peeled but if "old" the skin will be bitter and various folks saying it is never peeled in a commercial Chinese kitchen.

My experience is that one never knows about this kind of thing until one tests things out, blind if possible!

I made some of the celery syrup, too. Seems like fun.

Last edited:
Thank you for this recipe. We're always looking for ideas for refreshing drinks during summer, this was a real hit with the entire family.:thumbup:

I did make a few changes- used 250gms of ginger instead of 225gm and used 1.5 cups of cane sugar(brown) instead of white granulated sugar. I also reduced the the mixture by boiling for 1hr 15min instead of 45min. The syrup was the colour and consistency of molasses. Am going to be trying this with palm sugar next week.

p.s- We use a lot of ginger in our day to day cooking, general rule of thumb is if your going to strain whatever is being made then there's no need to peel the ginger but if your not going to strain it then its better to peel it. I used a muslin cloth to strain the syrup.

Glad people are getting some use out of this. It's a hit in my house, that's for sure.

I don't peel my ginger, but I do give it a quick scrub, especially where there is a "vee", as dirt can hide there. I cut it into chunks about an 1-1/2" to 2", then run it through the food processor for about three or four one second pulses. I've thought about adding brown sugar, I'll have to try that.

Lime juice is a great addition to ginger soda. My kids have taken a liking to Ginger Tang.

I just now made another batch of the celery syrup. It's a strange concoction, but I really like it. Apparently Dr. Browns Cel-Ray soda is about the only celery soda that's made commercially, and it's only well known in NYC and South Florida.

I agree that the addition of citrus improves drinks made with the ginger syrup,

I came across a celery syrup made with celery instead of the seeds. Have not tried it. Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray is pretty much in every Jewish deli. At least it is here in DC and Baltimore. Can't say that it is a popular choice. Still interesting.

You can peel ginger with a spoon. Very easy - although the peel has a lot of flavor and is edible.

I can find ginger root very cheap at vegetable stands here but in told it us easy to grow in the South - or grows in pots, so in going to try both.

Edward Lee has a killer Kenucky Mule recipe in Smoke and Pickles.

1.5 oz bourbon
1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 oz ginger simple syrup (see below)
3 oz club soda or ginger beer

Lime wheel for garnish
Thin slice ginger for garnish

Fill rocks glass with ice. Pour bourbon, lime juice, and simple syrup into the glass. Add soda and stir gently. Garnish and serve immediately.

Ginger Simple Syrup
1 c water
1 c sugar
3 ounce piece of ginger, chopped

Boil ingredients, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Turn off heat and steep for 20 minutes. Strain syrup and allow to cool. Keeps in refrigerator for months (never lasts that long).

Used to make this with vodka in place of water and slightly different ratios when we had a few lbs of ginger getting soft at a job I worked a few years ago. Nice stuff. Been curious to try it with dried ginger at home, since I keep that on hand regularly.

I wouldn't advise using a spoon unless you aren't handy with a paring knife. The waste from a paring knife is not much higher and it saves you endless time working your way into every nook and cranny of a ginger root. Peeling a good sized root with a spoon is about a minute long endeavor. With a knife, maybe ten seconds.

Last edited:
Made another double batch this morning. Added a few extra ounces of ginger and a mix of light and dark brown sugar. It is cooling now so it should be ready for cocktail hour.

I made another batch of this stuff. This time I found some ginger with much thinner, very smooth skin, and it seemed to come out better. Purer ginger flavor without skinning, which I hate to bother doing, too.

Ran the ginger and water through a blender before simmering. Figured if some pieces are good, smaller pieces will not hurt. Easy enough to strain out the wood. I also cut the sugar way back, because I wanted to be able to use it with truvia. Seemed to work fine.

We seem to go through it quickly.

My latest batch, with the light and dark brown sugars, is the best tasting batch thus far. The extra ginger and the extra simmer time have yielded a syrup with a healthy bit. I mix it 1:4 for a light beverage and 1:3 when I want a little heat.

I have a few tricks for ginger:
1) put a half inch chunk (or more if you like) and half an apple in the juicer first thing in the morning. Then take it as a shot and breath out through your nose. It will have a warm burning sensation for a second but help with allergies and stuffy nose all day. Then with the juicer already dirty make some carrot juice or something for breakfast.

2) put your whole washed ginger in the freezer until its solid. Then defrost and cut it in half. You can then squeeze all of the juice out like a lemon. It's also a little less spicy. You can slice it into wedges and squeeze it on food/drinks at parties. Killer side for Asian lettuce wraps.

Added another syrup to the lineup: strawberry. Berries were on sale because they were not going to last on the shelf.

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cups strawberries

Make a simple syrup before adding quartered berries. Bring to boil. Leave at a low boil for ten minutes. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until berries become mushy. Strain, cool and bottle. Makes a nice soda and would good as a warmed syrup on pancakes and waffles.

First attempt. Double batch. 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 cup light brown. A little extra ginger (6.5 oz).

Bubbled up fast and got all over the electric cook top. House smells like a candy shop... but not n a good way.

$uploadfromtaptalk1398994924748.jpg

Top Bottom