What's new

Tonic for G&T's

You'll still need the quinine bitterness. I haven't the slightest idea if some sort of quinine concentrate is available or how to add it.

In any case, it looks like OP has some options already out there. Fever Tree is pretty good stuff, if a little pricey (but I would expect to pay more).

Frankly, I'd quit drinking tonic water if I had to drink diet tonic water. I haven't found one, yet, that wasn't awful.

I actually like it without the quinine, you get more of the actual gin's more subtle flavoring, but you are absolutely correct.

this is so timely--I just had a few gin&tonics with homemade tonic water today - - - (lol, so forgive my typos)

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

I pretty much followed this recipe (I used sugar for my syrup rather than agave), and it's very good. I was worried it would be so strong or weird as to interfere with the gin, but it's very nice. I think that commercial tonic water will taste harsh and one-dimensional and too sweet now.

I also recently put together a home carbonation rig (maybe I'll take some pics and do a separate post--completely easy and quite fun), so it was easy to adjust the strength and sweetness to just right. I did it once before before I had this rig and mixing the tonic syrup with seltzer was good but it reduced the carbonization more than I liked.

The only ingredient that takes some sourcing is the actual quinine -- usually called 'cinchona bark', I got mine from an online place called Penn Herb (lol some of the health claims on these herbal products are hysterical). It used to be called "Jesuit's Bark" because in the 17th C Jesuits who were living in Peru learned from the natives that it prevented malaria. It's actually somewhat toxic, but it tastes so bitter you'd never drink enough to hurt yourself, lol.

It does take awhile to strain it--the bark has lots of very fine powder in it and I put it in a strainer with a coffee filter and it took all night and wasn't done, so I changed the coffee filter a bunch of times and got most of it through with some stirring. Next time I'll try and force it through a French press a few times, then maybe again with paper to see if I can speed it up.

The bitterness is from the bark, and then you can add whatever other botanicals you want--lime, lemon, lemongrass, cardamom, etc. None of that is obvious in the final result (at least with the amounts I used) but it has a nice bitterness and an interesting but not in-your-face flavor.

and a nice new bottle of Tanqueray to inaugurate, too

Oh, and I have about a quart of this stuff and it might use a 1/4C per liter bottle of final product, so it's going to last a while.

Among the most commonly found brands, this is my 1st choice. But I typically buy Schweppe's because it costs less at Walmart, however it's not always on the shelf so I stock up when I see it.

The Schweppes is good too, but nosed by the Canada Dry for me. The generic brand at the store is a non-contender . . . miserable attempt.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm the same way. Canada Dry beats out Schweppes when it comes to tonic water on the grocery store shelf.

AVOID ALL TONIC WATER FROM STORES.

There are many many great artisan tonics that you can mix with gin, soda water, lime as you desire.

John's Premium and Jack Rudy are two of my current favorites, but there are plenty others out there.

Bittermilk, Tomr's, and El Guopo are some that many people also swear by.

Maybe I'm just a low class gal. I tried Tomr's thanks to a fellow B&B friend but not sure I made it right. I've always liked Schweppes but maybe I need to expand. Does a good tonic make a better gin and tonic.

I used to do Scheppes and Canada Dry but recently I've been ising a brand that I get at World Market. I've been out of town for a few days and will have to report back as to the brand, but it has made all the difference in the world as to the quality of my G&Ts.

Fevertree is excellent. Although there is a small shop near me that has "fancy" tonic which is even better, can't remember the name though.

Been using Canada Dry-picked up a 4 pack of Fever Tree this week but have to wait until Sunday evening before I can mix up a few....

marty

In stead of a few days it's been a couple of months but here it is. we have a store in the area called World Market and they carry a lot of great grocery items form all around the world. They an artisanal tonic water called Boylan Heritage that is quite good. No corn syrup. Carnbonated water and cane sugar are the first two ingredients.

Oy, diet Schweppes is borderline undrinkable for me. It's probably going down the drain.

I think I'll use seltzer water or something like Fever Tree next time. I do like the taste of quinine, just don't care for that much sugar. Actually, mixing in my own bitters sounds like it might be the ticket. Thanks for the suggestion gents!
I'll probably be ridden out on a rail for this, but the best diet tonic water I've found is Great Value from Walmart. I promise I wanted to like Schwepp's or Canada Dry better, but this one has always tasted better. Our local Walmarts often run out of it, so apparently I'm not alone.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
For years I've used either Schweppes or Canada Dry. I really didn't notice much difference between the two.

Recently, I tried both Fever-Tree & Q Tonic and of the two I prefer the Q Tonic.

In stead of a few days it's been a couple of months but here it is. we have a store in the area called World Market and they carry a lot of great grocery items form all around the world. They an artisanal tonic water called Boylan Heritage that is quite good. No corn syrup. Carnbonated water and cane sugar are the first two ingredients.

That is awesome! I always have to get diet but it doesn't taste the same. I have an intolerance to all things corn related so it tends to be a challenge to find things that work for me.

Independent mother of 2, Artist, Teacher, L.O.L.S, W.I.S.E.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
That is awesome! I always have to get diet but it doesn't taste the same. I have an intolerance to all things corn related so it tends to be a challenge to find things that work for me.

Independent mother of 2, Artist, Teacher, L.O.L.S, W.I.S.E.

You might want to try Q Tonic water it's sweetened with organic agave and only has 45 calories to a 9 oz. bottle or Fever-Tree tonic (it's sweetened with cane sugar).

Top Bottom