What's new

Tom Ford Private Blend Neroli Portofino -- King of neroli frags?

I'm a sucker for clean and soapy scents. I have a chance to get in on a split for 50ml of Tom Ford Private Blend Neroli Portofino for 71.00 GBP (~$114.00 CAD). That would cost me about $200 at Nordstroms. I have a tiny decant already and really like it but my dilemma is that I've just gotten started in my neroli exploration and don't know if there's similar or better nerolis out there for less money. I've tried and love Mugler Cologne (dirt cheap), PdN Cologne Solgne (dirtier cheaper), Chanel Eau de Cologne (pricier than Neroli Portofino), and I'm close to procuring decants or samples for Atelier Bois Blonds, Atelier Grand Neroli, AdP Colonia, C&S Neroli, and Pens Castile. Out of the three I've tried so far, I like the PdN just as much as Portofino and the Mugler isn't too far behind. Logic and my ravaged wallet would dictate that I simply stick with the two cheapies, but I think Neroli Portofino offers enough differences and quality to at least warrant some serious consideration.

Looking for opinions on this matter from those who have neroli fever like me or have even just tried some of the frags I mentioned and can compare them to TF Neroli Portofino. Are there any good neroli fragrances that I haven't mentioned? Also, I recall reading somewhere that Tom Ford Neroli Portofino was being discontinued if not already; can anyone confirm or at least comment on that? Much thanks.

EDIT: I've noticed that neroli and orange blossom are listed as separate ingredients/notes in some fragrances. I thought they were the same thing. Can anyone shed some light on this? If different, how (in smell)?

Last edited:
I can't believe you don't have Hoyt's listed! Not only is it the cheapest Neroli fragrance that I know, it comes in an unbelievably cool glass bottle and has magical powers. Even Tom Ford himself can't say that.

It's orange blossom rather than neroli (not sure I could tell but that's what the notes say) but MFK APOM is currently my favorite orange by a long ways

This one smells excellent and is far more affordable. Roughly $170 for a 6.7oz parfum......or, $60 for a 1oz parfum.

Attachments

• $atelier-cologne-grand-neroli.jpg
    $atelier-cologne-grand-neroli.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 247
I'm a sucker for clean and soapy scents. I have a chance to get in on a split for 50ml of Tom Ford Private Blend Neroli Portofino for 71.00 GBP (~$114.00 CAD). That would cost me about $200 at Nordstroms. I have a tiny decant already and really like it but my dilemma is that I've just gotten started in my neroli exploration and don't know if there's similar or better nerolis out there for less money. I've tried and love Mugler Cologne (dirt cheap), PdN Cologne Solgne (dirtier cheaper), Chanel Eau de Cologne (pricier than Neroli Portofino), and I'm close to procuring decants or samples for Atelier Bois Blonds, Atelier Grand Neroli, AdP Colonia, C&S Neroli, and Pens Castile. Out of the three I've tried so far, I like the PdN just as much as Portofino and the Mugler isn't too far behind. Logic and my ravaged wallet would dictate that I simply stick with the two cheapies, but I think Neroli Portofino offers enough differences and quality to at least warrant some serious consideration.

Looking for opinions on this matter from those who have neroli fever like me or have even just tried some of the frags I mentioned and can compare them to TF Neroli Portofino. Are there any good neroli fragrances that I haven't mentioned? Also, I recall reading somewhere that Tom Ford Neroli Portofino was being discontinued if not already; can anyone confirm or at least comment on that? Much thanks.

EDIT: I've noticed that neroli and orange blossom are listed as separate ingredients/notes in some fragrances. I thought they were the same thing. Can anyone shed some light on this? If different, how (in smell)?

I've just recently tried Tom Ford Neroli and like it a lot. I like C&S Neroli and find it not as long lasting as Tom Ford. I also have some Castle Forbes Neroli which was a limited edition release in 2009 (500 bottles). It is very powerful and lasts 12 hrs on me.
Creed's Neroli Sauvage is very fleeting-it lasts 2-3 hrs tops on me which, at their price, is a deal killer. Pens Castile doesn't even last that long on me.

Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino is very good, has a nice green element to it, and lasts forever. But something in it goes a bit sour on me later in the drydown. I find Le Labo's Fleur d'Oranger 27 to be a better, cleaner version with the same longevity and sillage. In fact, FdO27 has been and continues to be my Neroli go-to for several years now.

I tried out my decant of Pens Castile twice last week and while I liked it, it was simply too fleeting. As much as I like the Neroli fragrance (Castile, AdP), I'm bothered by the utter lack of sillage these types of scents bring to the table. I know that's the price you pay for citrus but...sigh... NP has been on my "to-do" list but if it's anything like the others I don't think I want to find out I like it...

I can't believe you don't have Hoyt's listed! Not only is it the cheapest Neroli fragrance that I know, it comes in an unbelievably cool glass bottle and has magical powers. Even Tom Ford himself can't say that.

You beat me to this! I like the scent of Hoyt's as much as any neroli, and I like neroli. But Hoyt's is fleeting. I do not know Tom Ford. C&S is rather dirty as I recall, which I really like. Castle Forbes LE, to me, answers the question "can you have too much neroli?" It is truly tenacious. Castile is nice, but not as nice as ADP, to me. Lots of nice Eau de Portugals out there.

You beat me to this! I like the scent of Hoyt's as much as any neroli, and I like neroli. But Hoyt's is fleeting. I do not know Tom Ford. C&S is rather dirty as I recall, which I really like. Castle Forbes LE, to me, answers the question can you have too much neroli?"It is truly tenacious. Castile is nice, but not as nice as ADP, to me. Lots of nice Eau de Portugals out there.

Castle Forbes Neroli is a killer that must be used very sparingly. I don't exaggerate when I say I get AT LEAST 12 hrs. on a normal spray. It's gotten very hard to find since the LE was about 3-4 yrs ago

I don't know what to make of this Nenuco stuff that rearviewmirror linked to. Is it an actual fragrance for adults or some sort of bath product for kids and babies?

BTW, I just recieved a decant of AdP Colonia Assoluta and don't really get any neroli/orange blossom from it. So which AdP frag has a neroli note? I frequently hear it mentioned in neroli conversations. The plain Colonia doesn't have neroli/o.b. listed as a note, either.

Thanks for the great info so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread.

I don't know what to make of this Nenuco stuff that rearviewmirror linked to. Is it an actual fragrance for adults or some sort of bath product for kids and babies?
Nenuco makes baby products, but adults living in warmer climates and those with sensitive skin wear this frag as well. The 400ml bottle is an EDC and the 750ml bottle is an EDS. I like Nenuco far better than Grand Neroli, but not as much as Neroli Portifino. Nenuco opens with a strong blast of Neroli, but only lasts a couple hours on my skin. The opening reminds me of Neroli Portofino, but it lacks that wonderful soapiness of NP. Nenuco is cheap enough that you can easily afford to carry a small atomizer and re-apply as needed. In fact, this frag is cheap enough that you can afford to bathe in it also if you like.

La Tienda Reviews:
http://www.tienda.com/bath/products/cl-01.html?site=1

Alison
"This wonderful "agua de colonia" has so many uses...as an after-shower cologne, as a any-time refresher, as a linen spritz, and basically, as anything else you can think to use Nenuco as The scent it carries always puts me in a good mood."

Karen ~ Pittsburgh
"Love the clean and fresh scent, it's great after a shower!"

kay
"i've been using nenuco cologne since i was in the philippines, way back then this cologne is very popular. i have a friend that works with me from spain so when she went back there, i asked her to bring me back one and she did. she also gave me this web site, now i'm very happy co'z i can order my nenuco anytime from la tienda. thanks for selling them..... my first order came in no time, thanks again la tienda!"

Katherine Marek
"I love the smell of Nenuco! It brings back great memories of living in Spain."

Maria Martin
"I am not fond of perfumes but this cologne makes you feel fresh. Also my 8 year old son still uses Nenuco Cologne, it makes him feel "clean and refreshed"."

Maria A. Morales
"I used Nenuco while I was living in Puerto Rico. Tried it with my first born. I loved it because he always smelled clean and fresh. I used it with my second child, also a boy and loved it even more. Then I started using it after my showers. I always get comments on how nice is the smell and how soft. It is a shame that Nenuco is more known in the Spanish speaking countries than in the USA. I was told by a Philipino that they use it in the Philipines and that he cannot find it in the US. In Puerto Rico one can buy anywhere, even in Walgreens drug Stores, I have tried the Walgreens near my house and the cannot fiend any of the stores in North that carries it. Thank you for having it. Yoou have made me very happy!"

Of the predominantly neroli frags (at least to me) there is also l'Eau de l'hermine by Lostmarch'H. It has some bergamote, grapefruit, lavender, heliotrope and musc in it too. The musc thing ruins it for me a little, but neroli lasts a long time. Relatively inexpensive.

Diptyque L'Eau de Neroli I don't like very much. Even more musc. Too sweet maybe.

Last edited:
I dont know what to make of it either, but i'm going to order a bottle soon. Sounds perfect for Florida in the summer, and erickson has REALLY good taste, so I trust him enough to spend $20

BTW, I just recieved a decant of AdP Colonia Assoluta and don't really get any neroli/orange blossom from it. So which AdP frag has a neroli note? I frequently hear it mentioned in neroli conversations. The plain Colonia doesn't have neroli/o.b. listed as a note, either.

Thanks for the great info so far. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I started this thread.

I dont know what to make of it either, but i'm going to order a bottle soon. Sounds perfect for Florida in the summer, and erickson has REALLY good taste, so I trust him enough to spend $20

I agree, erickson is always mentioning frags that I really dig. But back to Nenuco for a sec... does anyone else find it strange that there are fragrances for babies and kids? I've never seen anything like it here in North America. Maybe it is more of a European thing. Regardless, I will be ordering a tub of it soon. And I know that erickson says it lacks the soapiness of Neroli Portofino, but I find that hard to believe as it seems to me that neroli is inherently soapy-smelling itself.

One more thing... according to erickson the 400ml jug is EdC and the 750ml vat is EdS... what does the S in EdS stand for?

what does the S in EdS stand for?
Perfume extract/perfume (Extrait): 15-40% (IFRA: typical 20%)Esprit de Parfum (ESdP): 15-30%
Eau de Parfum (EdP): 10-20% (typical ~15%)
Eau de toilette (EdT): 5-15% (typical ~10%)
Eau de Cologne (EdC): 3-8% (typical ~5%)
Perfume mist: 3-8% (typical non-alcohol)
Splash (EdS) and Aftershave: 1-3%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume

I really can't tell the difference between the 400ml glass bottle and the 600/750ml plastic bottle, but La Tienda lists the glass bottle with colognes and the plastic bottle with the splashes. The glass bottle costs considerably more as well.

p.s.
Jason and you both have good taste and I'm anxious to try your Wild Aoud and Jason's Wild Fern! :wink2:

I wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone else has found any other good Neroli frags. I am really starting to like Neroli and Orange Blossom (not sure if I am skilled enough to tell the difference yet).

To me there's still only one and it's Le Labo's Fleur d'Oranger 27. Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino would be my second choice. Others are too fleeting, too citrusy, or too screechy. Today I just happen to be wearing SMN's Zagara for the first time (orange blossom), which by some reviewers has been dubbed the ultimate in orange blossom - it's good but it's not that good.

Top Bottom