What's new

To Flex Or Not To Flex?

I was browsing through "What`s In Your Pocket Today" and I`ve noticed Vacumatic`s pen post about his pens a "Parker Duofold Streamline with lots of flex and an Onoto K3 with semi flex." It got me thinking and yes it can be dangerous. For the most part I like nibs that are rigid/straight forward and gets the job done. I`m often scribbling down my notes and I also write in my personal daily journal and even with nibs that do flex I don`t intentionally write with much line variations. So what are your thoughts on this to flex or not to flex? Yes some flexing can add some zest to your writing but what about just getting things just written down and be done?

Hi Ben

Your final sentence hits the nail on the head.

The Parker 51 changed the way that people wrote and allowed people to write quicker and with less flourish. There are some makers who are renowned for their fexible nibs, Mabie Todd and Watermans to name but two, but you really need to have some discipline to use these pens at fast note taking in an office or college environment. For example, I cannot write quickly with a full flex nib, the nib simply has too much movement. So, in your words, when there is a job to be done I reach for the hodded nibbed pens such as a 61 or 51, a personal letter and its always a flexible nib.

The Duofold that I referred to was Made in Canada, I have only owned a few 20s/30s Duofolds and I think that they have all been USA made with stiff nibs so this Canadian example - bought at the London Pen Show - was a nice surprise.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I love flex nibs. In addition to the satisfaction I get from looking at line variation and shading qualities of particular inks, I also enjoy writing with them. I'm entertained by watching the tines of the nib open up and the ink laying itself out on the paper. Generally, I prefer inks with high shading qualities when I'm using a pen with a flex nib.

Ben, as you mentioned, sometimes it's impractical to use them when note taking or writing quickly, but as long as you don't have a heavy hand, they should work just fine. Apart from writing, I also like to draw and sketch with my pens as well, so dramatic line variation can be fun in that implementation of using a flex nib as well.

Flex nibs, music nibs, and wide italic and stub nibs are the number one reason why I haven't bought that Lamy 2000 yet.

Flex nibs, music nibs, and wide italic and stub nibs are the number one reason why I haven't bought that Lamy 2000 yet.
You should really consider getting a Lamy 2000 and getting a special grind on it imagine having a 2000 with Italic on. I have one and its pretty much one of my everyday pens

A number of my vintage pens have significant flex, although none are the "wet noodles" that I see people writing about. I find them perfectly practical for normal writing; with a light touch I just get little bits of line variation here and there to add a little extra character to my everyday handwriting. Every now and then I will deliberately emphasize a letter or word or add a little flourish, but for the most part I just enjoy the feel of writing with them, and don't really try to do anything special. I keep in mind that the ones I have are quite old, and may have gone through more than one owner already; I don't want to be the one that springs the nib.

I have considered one of John Mottishaw's flex modifications on either a Pilot or Platinum pen, but for now it's just a "maybe someday" idea.

I pull out a Desiderata or a nib holder for some G action on occasion, but for the most part, I prefer to go stub or italic for my line variation. There's a time & place for flex flourish &, for me, that's not when I need to do significant amounts of writing, nor write with reasonable speed. Stubs & italics, on the other hand, I suffer no loss of speed compared to a round nib & don't have to be so picky about my ink use.

Hi Ben

Your final sentence hits the nail on the head.

The Parker 51 changed the way that people wrote and allowed people to write quicker and with less flourish. There are some makers who are renowned for their fexible nibs, Mabie Todd and Watermans to name but two, but you really need to have some discipline to use these pens at fast note taking in an office or college environment. For example, I cannot write quickly with a full flex nib, the nib simply has too much movement. So, in your words, when there is a job to be done I reach for the hodded nibbed pens such as a 61 or 51, a personal letter and its always a flexible nib.

The Duofold that I referred to was Made in Canada, I have only owned a few 20s/30s Duofolds and I think that they have all been USA made with stiff nibs so this Canadian example - bought at the London Pen Show - was a nice surprise.

It`s mainly note taking and personal writings for me thesedays. In the old days I would write snail mail but it`s rare these days and it is a shame. Most people don`t really care to write hard copy mail anymore therefore there is no real incentive in writing with a flex nib. Hmm, even if I did write in fancy form it`ll probably not be appreciated or realized? Everything is now and read it quickly and next, next.
Aah the good old Parker 61 I love this pen and the way it fills up ink. I used one throughout high school until while running from class to class it fell out of my shirt pocket and landed hard on the floor and cracked.
That Canadian Duofold looks nice. I always preferred the English Parker pens over the American ones they generally are wetter and wider over the American ones.

I love flex nibs. In addition to the satisfaction I get from looking at line variation and shading qualities of particular inks, I also enjoy writing with them. I'm entertained by watching the tines of the nib open up and the ink laying itself out on the paper. Generally, I prefer inks with high shading qualities when I'm using a pen with a flex nib.

Ben, as you mentioned, sometimes it's impractical to use them when note taking or writing quickly, but as long as you don't have a heavy hand, they should work just fine. Apart from writing, I also like to draw and sketch with my pens as well, so dramatic line variation can be fun in that implementation of using a flex nib as well.

I can see your reasons on why you enjoy flex nibs especially for your drawing and sketching for those line variations. You seem like a person that has attention to details. I can picture you out in the forest sketching away in your own world. True it is impractical for trying to achieve line variations for things like quick note taking that`s why I`m happy with modern day nibs and never really given it much thought for line variation nibs or non standard nibs.
I give it a second nod on what Kcore said about a Lamy with an italic nib.

A number of my vintage pens have significant flex, although none are the "wet noodles" that I see people writing about. I find them perfectly practical for normal writing; with a light touch I just get little bits of line variation here and there to add a little extra character to my everyday handwriting. Every now and then I will deliberately emphasize a letter or word or add a little flourish, but for the most part I just enjoy the feel of writing with them, and don't really try to do anything special. I keep in mind that the ones I have are quite old, and may have gone through more than one owner already; I don't want to be the one that springs the nib.

I have considered one of John Mottishaw's flex modifications on either a Pilot or Platinum pen, but for now it's just a "maybe someday" idea.

I`m in the same mind set as you. "but for the most part I just enjoy the feel of writing with them, and don't really try to do anything special." Just writing with a wet fountain pen on paper and feeling the feed back is plenty of joy. I keep telling myself to get out my calligraphy set to practice on my writing but even with a regular fountain pens it is satisfying so at this stage I look no further even with no real line variations.

I pull out a Desiderata or a nib holder for some G action on occasion, but for the most part, I prefer to go stub or italic for my line variation. There's a time & place for flex flourish &, for me, that's not when I need to do significant amounts of writing, nor write with reasonable speed. Stubs & italics, on the other hand, I suffer no loss of speed compared to a round nib & don't have to be so picky about my ink use.
It`s been said plenty enough times in this post an italic nib and as you have pointed out a stub is the way to go for the best of both worlds. Practical writing with efficiency and with some pizzaz for an italic/stub nib. I`ve seen some fountain pens that might fit the bill for this.

I have an old Montblanc that has a semi-flexible nib. I love it.
Unfortunately it has some condition issues and I have to be very careful with it.

I have a Pelikan 140 from the 50's, that is more flexible than anything else I own. I will sometimes see some line variation, but it is a really just a great workhorse pen. I don't use it to do flex writing, just enjoy the writing experience.

It has already been said, but unless you want to spend quite a lot, a stub/itallic nib will give similar, although by no means the same, line variation capabilities as flex.

There are cost effective flex options, such as the Noodler's Ahab, but I can't reccomend one based on my experiences and they aren't really that flexible (again IME), more like a semi flex. A dip pen flex nib that fits a fountain pen might be a better option, but not one that I've tried. I think I remember reading that a Brause Rose fits a Noodler's Ahab, but I'd reccomend a more reliable pen if possible (mine leaked badly form the piston, and it you held it too long or i it was sunny it would gush out of the feed).

I tried flex first by mistake but now my go-to nibs are stubs and itallics. I also thought I'd hate a round broad, but bought one recently intending to switch to itallic, and actually like it, just not as much as an itallic.

I have a Minuskin modified pilot 912 FA and am writing Spencerian with it. Ive learned that you need to have a light consistent hand which is not unlike what you learn with shaving.

Does anyone write regularly ,with a music nib for everyday writing ? The examples of handwriting on the internet of the Platinum 3776 composer/music nib look attractive, impressive and interesting

I cannot really comment because I havent used a music nib for everyday writing but if you print you can probably get away with it.

The only cautionary note I would say is I have seen some music nibs at 1.9mm which seems too wide.

Sailor music.jpg

I have a Waterman Taperite (their semi-hooded version of the 51), and that nib has a fun little bit of flex to it.

Flex nibs do add zest to my writing, but I can use them also to get things just written down and be done (unless it is a carbon copy form). It is just a matter of how to use them. Nails can't do both (but fill in carbon copy forms).

Zest.jpg

Top Bottom