What's new

Titanium (6al-4v) + Silvertip knot

My first project was to replace the knot on a stock VanDer Hagen brush. Although not a "looker", the new brush has been totally awesome, and I have been using it daily for the last 4-5 months. Since I recently completed a Titanium handle for my first GD project, I decided to make a new Titanium (6al-4v) handle for a second Silvertip knot from The Golden Nib.com.

From left to right: (new 24mmx58mm Short Loft Silvertip knot, my modified VanDer Hagen brush, the Omega boar 31064 "banded" model, and Omega boar #49):
proxy.php

Here is the Titanium bar I used for this project:
proxy.php

I started by smoothing the OD and face-off the Ti bar with a PCD insert:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I then proceeded to very slowly work on the shape - it took me between 4-5 hours to do all of the machining today:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I added some internal grooves to provide mechanical lock to the epoxy (the knot can't slide out):
proxy.php

Then the assembly (the easy part!):
$DSCF0227.jpg

proxy.php

Compared to my other shaving brushes (Ti handle=5.1oz, VanDer Hagen=2oz, Omega boar=2.7oz):
proxy.php

And here is my Titanium pair:
proxy.php

I make as many of my own metal bike parts (and anything else that interests me) as I can with fairly simple hand tools and a lot of elbow grease. I really enjoy and appreciate the stuff you've been making! If you happen to have another one of those handles "fall" out of you love lathe I'd love to get one. Have you thought of trying to make your own 3 piece razor? I've kicked it around but I don't have anywhere near the tools to do it well.

Last edited:
Holy Sh*t.

Sorry to pseudo-curse. That is absolutely stunning. Incredible work. Please tell me you foregoing your professional life to make and sell shave products?

I have a piece of 2" titanium rod, about 3" long. It was given to me to make a shaving brush handle. I don't know if I will or not, but you beat me to it. Even though it is titanium, that's still a lot of weight. I was thinking of using it for a 30 mm knot, but now that I see how heavy yours is, I'm really re-thinking it.

What's your perception about the heft or your brush? Is it comfortable?

Thank you for putting the ... pipe? with the other brush handles. When you showed the razor I was stuck trying to figure out the perspective and size. When the final handle came out, I wondered what magic you worked, almost the same with this one. When you were cutting it down I kept thinking, "Okay, is the brush knot going on the outside or what?" But it all came through in the end, phew. These are absolutely amazing, you have certainly worked some art here. Very awesome looking, and I can't wait to hear how the brush turns out with the weight and lathering.

Wow. Really impressive. I appreciate the step by step photos. Have you considered hollowing the handle next time, and filling with cork or whatever, to reduce the weight? Congratulations on an excellent job and design, and having the only titanium razor/brush set know to man.

You could have hollowed out the handle more and then threaded the opening and then make several screw collars to mount knots in and allow yourself the ability to swap knots. Then its lighter and you can try different knots!

Thank you guys for your kind words - much appreciated. I used the new brush today - of course the Ti handle felt heavier compared to my other shaving brushes (Ti handle=5.1oz, VanDer Hagen=2oz, Omega boar=2.7oz). I just have to man-up and get used to the more solid feel of the new brush :lol:

Have you considered hollowing the handle next time, and filling with cork or whatever, to reduce the weight?
Yes, I plan to try that on my next one. But drilling and making the handle more hollow would make the whole thing lighter, but with Titanium that is easier said than done. Of all of the machining operations in Titanium, drilling is the worst and most time consuming, and in deep cuts I basically wear out the solid carbide cutter (those are also expensive).

Top Bottom