What's new

Tips for a cat adopter?

So I'm thinking about adopting a kitty cat. Never had one before, and haven't had a pet since I was in elementary school! Think I'd like a critter hopping around, and cats seem more independent than dogs so I wouldn't feel as bad leaving it at home during the day by itself.

I've been reading about adopting seniors and adults and kittens.. strays and purebreds.. Petstores and breeders and animal shelters. I've decided on a shelter cat, but haven't really decided on the age.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic. When I'm around cats, there always seems to be some other possible allergen around.. a dog, or smokers, or it's an outside cat, etc.. So I went to the Humane Society today. They put me in to the cattery and said that if my nose didn't start acting up pretty quickly that I was most likely not allergic. It didn't, so I got to play with a cat. There was one, a 5 month old kitten, that seemed energetic and awake (most were sleeping or just staring), so I asked to play with him.

He was a little bundle of joy :) He liked all the toys and was bouncing off the walls, let me hold him and pet him. He meowed and purred a few times but not too much. But, I got to give him back when I had my fun :blush: I felt a slight sniffle after, but it may have been coincidence? It's barely worth mentioning.

So cat lovers, what should I be aware of? What should be on my shopping list when I go to the pet store so I can be ready for a kitty? How do I need to prep the house?

Cats are more independant than dogs. If you need to go out of town or something you can leave them for a few days alone as long as they have plenty of food, water and a place to go to the bathroom. They are very fun to interact with as well. I love my kitty. I have had one since I was in elementary school. I dont know what I would do without one.

First off, make sure you dont have any poisonious house plants. Cats love to nibble on plants. If you have any danglies, your kitty will probably try to play with them so if they are breakable you may want to find a place to put them where the kitty will not break or play with them.

You will of course need food/water dishes, food, litter box, litter and scoop, kitty toys, a breakaway collar with id/rabies tags attached (even if your kitty is an indoor cat he may escape), cat carrier, scratching post, and maybe even a pet bed.

You will not want to declaw your kitty even if it is an indoor cat. First off, if it does happen to get out, it will have no way to protect itself or get away from danger. Second, with the claws gone, the pads of the feet will get very tender and the cat will get to were it will no longer use its litter box.

Cats are pretty easy creatures. Mine have all been laid back and loving. In fact, every night, I have my cat and my dog in the bed with me and my husband. It is quite the bed full!!!

I hope this helped.

Have there water and food dish along with there litter box all ready for them when you bring him (or her) home so they can get used to there room or area. There really isn't much else to do. Just remeber they are the boss and you are 2nd. If you follow that rule you will get along great :lol: I love my cat and I'd get another one but he doesn't feel the same about other cats (i've tried)

Last edited:
I have 5 cats that range in age from 8 months to 15ish years they are all indoor cats and all except the two newest have been declawed, they will be soon when they go to be spayed and neutered. They all use the litter box with no problems. Cats are great companions especially if you raise them from being a kitten. My oldest cat goes to bed with the wife and I every night and the kittens end up there most nights. As long as you remember that cats are the masters of the house you will be fine.

I've had quite a few rescue cats, got four at the moment.

If he's a kitten there's not much to worry about. I'd be careful about buying super fancy cat food for him straight away. If he's been in a shelter it will be used to fairly cheap food and a change to the richest, fanciest stuff in the store resulted in our first two kittens leaving brown trails behind them as they ran about the house.

A scratching post might be worth a shot, if the cat takes to it, yay! if not it's only a few quid and it might return to it one day.

They're pretty self sufficient, clean and will let you know when they want stuff.

If you're planning on letting him out, don't for at very least a few weeks so they get to know you and house and when you do let him out at first, make sure he goes out hungry - he won't be gone for long.

Try to ensure he gets to know his name as quickly as possible if he's being let out - or at least associate his name with good stuff happening.

If a cat is misbehaving I'm a fan of flicking thier ears, they get the message pretty quickly. If there's kids about don't take any crap

The meat counter at a few of the local supermatkets sells all the odds ad ends of the cooked meats supercheap, often cheaper than wet cat food and far less suspicious in looks, smell and ingredients.

A stick with a string and a small soft toy on the end will keep a kitten amused for longer than you can be bothered flicking it about.

Maybe some catnip? some love it, some don't notice it.

We've always kept small animals in cages too, works a bit like tv for cats.

have fun

Last edited:
May I suggest you remove all houseplants that might be poisonous to your new friend (philodendron, etc.), get a corrugated paper scratching block, and keep that litter box scrupulously clean.

Cats are the greatest. We have two, and our house smells neither of feces nor urine.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments:

1.They're killers. Sleep, kill, play.
2. The more time they spend with you, the smarter they get.
3. Don't approach them. Let them approach you.

All my cats have been rescue animals. Only have three now. One looks to have been feral when we found him. I'd suspect him of being a badger, except he doesn't have the claws for it. The vet did bend a couple of needles, trying to give him his shots.

The Humane Society will chip him and register him to me when I get him. They feed their cats Science Diet at the shelter!

I don't intend to let him outside or declaw him. I read that declawing may lead to other undesirable behaviors like biting or "spraying," and I surely wouldn't want my fingers cut off!

The only plants I have are an African Violet and a Peace Lily. Oh, and an amaryllis right now. I do have lots of home theater wires. He'd better hope the first electrical wire he chews thru isn't the TV or we'll problems :tongue_sm

He loved the stick with a string and feathers. That will be on my list for sure, not matter what cat I end up with!

The one I saw was named Norbert. I don't like that too much, so I'd rename him. He was born in the shelter, so he's probably not too used to it anyways.

Thanks so far!

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry much about wires, their teeth are pretty lame.

My rabbit on the other hand has taken out our landline for the second time a few months ago. We got him a friend, a big hutch, a run and he's been relocated to the garden. Seems happy as larry

I thought I wasn't allergic to cats since I played with the ones in the shelter for a few hours. I took one home and in a day I developed serious hives.

My advice, stay as long as you can in that shelter to make sure you're not allergic. It broke my heart to have to take my cat back to the shelter because of my condition.

The Humane Society will chip him and register him to me when I get him. They their cats Science Diet at the shelter!

I don't intend to let him outside or declaw him. I read that declawing may lead to other undesirable behaviors like biting or "spraying," and I surely wouldn't want my fingers cut off!

The only plants I have are an African Violet and a Peace Lily. Oh, and an amaryllis right now. I do have lots of home theater wires. He'd better hope the first electrical wire he chews thru isn't the TV or we'll problems :tongue_sm

He loved the stick with a string and feathers. That will be on my list for sure, not matter what cat I end up with!

The one I saw was named Norbert. I don't like that too much, so I'd rename him. He was born in the shelter, so he's probably not too used to it anyways.

Thanks so far!

Mine was named Adam, he's Shadow now. I agree what you said about the declawing, but that's my opinion. If he is fixed he won't spray (that's what they told me anyway) Mine really doesn't chew on stuff he just likes to sharpen his claws on the couch and the rug. But every cat is different, mine isn't the affectionate type, if he's hungry or wants to play and you are asleep he'll head butt you and he doesn't meow alot. Pretty much sticks to hiself until he wants something. That's what i love about him. I go to friends houses and they have those small dogs that jump all over you, boy I hate that!!:cursing:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I'm not sure if I'm allergic. When I'm around cats, there always seems to be some other possible allergen around.. a dog, or smokers, or it's an outside cat, etc.. So I went to the Humane Society today. They put me in to the cattery and said that if my nose didn't start acting up pretty quickly that I was most likely not allergic. It didn't, so I got to play with a cat. There was one, a 5 month old kitten, that seemed energetic and awake (most were sleeping or just staring), so I asked to play with him.

He was a little bundle of joy :) He liked all the toys and was bouncing off the walls, let me hold him and pet him. He meowed and purred a few times but not too much. But, I got to give him back when I had my fun :blush: I felt a slight sniffle after, but it may have been coincidence? It's barely worth mentioning.

You might want to make several visits to the shelter and spend more time with the cats and kittens to make sure that it's not an allergy before you adopt one. It will break your heart if you adopt one and then have to give him up because you find out that you are.

If you do adopt, see if the shelter will give you some of the cat food that they use or have them tell you the brand. Then slowly transition from that food to the brand of food you want to use to keep from upsetting the cat's digestion. This is good advice for any kind of pet you get. Sudden changes in diet can have unpleasant side effects. It's better to be safe then sorry.

Lots of good advice except that I disagree about declawing. Cats can learn where not to scratch. A quick scold (Clap hands and say "Psst!") is what is needed. Of course it doesn't teach them instantly -- must be repeated. I would never hit a cat. When something firmer than a clap is needed a firm but gentle poke in the ribs will do it.

I do know cats, having had cats in the household since I was very small. I recommend getting a kitten. It will not have developed any bad habits or weird phobias.

The basics are Food, Water, Litter box.

For food I recommend Purina One dry food, but other high-end brands are probably OK as well. All my cats loved dry food. The one I have now will not even touch things like tuba or milk. (She tries to bury them!) Male cats tend towards urinary tract problems in their senior years and you may need to get special food from a vet for that. One of our male cats was diagnosed with this problem and given a year to live when he was about 12 years old. We fed him the special food and he lived to be 21!

One more food thing -- cats need to eat grass or other leafy things. If your cat goes outside that will be enough. Never having had a cat that was restricted to the indoors I don't know how to deal with this in that situation. Perhaps grow a little indoor grass/weed garden! Ask a pet store or a vet.

For water, be sure to keep it fresh, Change it at least once a day, wiping the dish clean and dry before putting in fresh water. A cat will let you know when it is hungry but will probably just want to go outside if the water isn't fresh. I don't understand how cats can be so fussy with water when indoors but drink out of most any puddle when outside.

For litter box get one of with a cover. They look something like a pet carrier. Use "clumping" litter -- makes cleanup a snap. Simply scoop out the lumps. Also, use a plastic liner as you will eventually need to dump the old and put in fresh and the liner can be picked up, tied shut, and dumped.

Some, but not all, cats can learn to use your toilet. You will need to do the flushing! Once I thought I had a bad plumbing problem because of what I would find floating in a toilet every day. This was a toilet we never used because we dedicated that half-bath to the cats. I thought somehow the upstairs toilets were backing up into the downstairs toilet. Until I walked in on the cat while it was in a delicate position!

One more thing: toys. Nothing makes a cat happier than a big paper bag. My cats always tired quickly of toys from the pet store, but whenever they get a paper bag they are in cat heaven.

Last edited:
One thing for sure is that with a kitten, you cannot prep the house. You can only try to prep the house. They defintely like to knock over houseplants.

If you tend to get real uptight when something gets knocked over or maybe even torn up, then you might have issues with a kitten. By the time they get to be cats most, but not all, will calm down.

Good luck whatever you decide!

One more food thing -- cats need to eat grass or other leafy things. If your cat goes outside that will be enough. Never having had a cat that was restricted to the indoors I don't know how to deal with this in that situation. Perhaps grow a little indoor grass/weed garden! Ask a pet store or a vet.

Yeah, you can get 'cat grass' seeds pretty easily. Never used it as ours are all out and about.

Oh, make sure you get him insured.

8 years of never using the insurance, we were discussing cancelling it a few days ago and putting some cash into an account instead each month. Our youngest, Angus, came in covered in blood with his jaw hanging off last night. £500 in bills later he's on the road to recovery, glad we kept the insurance. They said he'd been hit by a car, poor Angus. After the op the vet wiring his jaw said it was probably him junmping from a great height and landing face first - mummy's little soldier has been downgraded to a moron.

Yea, Science Diet will probably be what I'd stick with. They'll give me a sample bag, but "warn" that loose stool could develop for a week or so when changing foods. If the kittahs are ok on it at the shelter, then they'll be ok with me :001_smile

I felt a little guilty at the shelter because there was a gal in the room with me the whole time. I couldn't just sit with him without burdening their employee. I left when they said that someone else was waiting. I would REALLY hate to get kittah home and have to take the poor fella back. Squirt gun to stop him from ruining the couch is what the lady said.

Do cats need baths? Do they like little treats like dogs do?

Funny about the grass. I was at the store and saw some indoor grass stuff that was designed for cats. I wondered what that was for. How often do they need it?

I'm definitely uptight. I'm making a thread on a shaving board for advice, instead of just taking the little guy home today :lol:

They give 30 days of insurance. Any other wisdom on that?

Last edited:
squirt gun is a good idea, I use one to keep other cats out the house - not very often though as our four are a force to be reckoned with.

Make sure your insurance covers long term illness.

May I suggest you remove all houseplants that might be poisonous to your new friend (philodendron, etc.), get a corrugated paper scratching block, and keep that litter box scrupulously clean.

Cats are the greatest. We have two, and our house smells neither of feces nor urine.

Best of luck to you!

Very good points. I forgot to mention the scratching post. Most important! You can try to keep the kitten away from the couch with a squirt bottle, however, I would not depend on it. It might take the little one a while to learn to use the post or whatever you get. :laugh:

Top Bottom