What's new

Time For A New Brush

Great deals right now on the BST
(Shameless plug)

BST is a good place to try brushes, but it helps to do research and be patient. On the other hand you could put up a WTB. But again it's more useful if you know what you want.

I'll suggest Semogue SOC's in any flavor for a place to start. Lot's of folks stop right there.

(Full discloser I have have a brush on BST.)

Last edited:
As far as stiff goes, IMO It's Boar, Black Badger, Pure, Best/Super/Finest, Silvertip.

The brush can vary, it's all about set depth and density for that one.

WCS claims to have a deep set on their brushes, but I won't be trying one at the price when I know I like parker brushes and can get one I enjoy for 20-40 depending on the knot.

If you like boar, try a black badger. It's skritchy and nice but holds water and heat as a badger should.

I'll know about synthetic soon!

I've spent a fair amount on brushes over the last few years, not as much as some but a good amount nonetheless.

IMO, irrespective of price I've not found any brush to have the performance, ease of use than the 24mm Yaqi Plissoft style brush.

It might not have the softest tips or be the most exciting brush, but it's my most efficient brush and easiest to build a lather with. No maintenance in the slightest bit as well.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Not sure of your budget but the Semogue Foro Afeitado 2019 in 2 band finest is available at Vintage Scents in a limited numbered run of only 50. I have one and it is a steal in my view at 90 Euro. Any of the numbered Semogue LE brushes are excellent, and along with a Simpson Duke 3 manchurian are my favourites. Good luck.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have been using nothing but boar brushes for the last 5 years. They have worked, but I am wondering what I may be missing in terms of getting the most out of my soap.

I have a couple of shelves full of the things, so I'm not the one to tell you to refrain from getting a new brush. But get one because you want a new brush. Getting the most out of your soap has little to nothing to do with boar vs badger vs synthetic.

A stiff, scritchy brush is probably best for digging lots of soap off a puck, but I wouldn't want it on my face.

Most of my synthetics (and the Kent BK8) are wonderfully soft on the skin, but take a little longer to load. A brush with more backbone would load a little faster.

If shorter load times are your goal try loading with more moisture in the brush - makes a huge difference.

For the best recommendations I'd suggest listing the brushes you have and which performance details you'd like improved, along with face/bowl lathering choice.

My personal preference for face lathering and good backbone at a reasonable price would be the SOC badger. For bowl lathering I prefer the SOC boar. Mine loads in around 6 seconds (but you don't have my water and you may not use my soap).

Don't forget to set aside ~$15 to buy another boar after you figure out that these other brushes don't really stack up to your old boar. :001_rolle

Don't forget to set aside ~$15 to buy another boar after you figure out that these other brushes don't really stack up to your old boar. :001_rolle
You know, we would be remiss in our duties as enablers if we didn't suggest you buy one of each. :devil:

Seeing as how the Black Friday sales are on, hmm... You could get a new Omega 49 for around $6 or a new Semogue 620 for maybe $14.

Top Bottom