What's new

Tim Tebow Drafted in the 1st Round

Sure reasonable people can disagree. I didn't call any individual stupid. Let's think about the though, who would have ever thought Tom Brady would have been a great QB in college? The same people you refer to speaking about Tebow said similar things about Tom Brady. Let me guess, his super bowl wins don't count because of their thoughts on him early in his career?
My differences in opinion are more blunt than most. I have found most people who talk to me about being "reasonable" are extreme liberals and are actually less reasonable. I am not accusing you or any one of this, I just do not feel the need to be lectured on "reason".
I won't post here again in this thread. I just think it's unreasonable to say a player of his caliber isn't first round talent. I have played with a current CB starter playing foe the titans, and he thinks Tebow was the best person on offense in the draft. Perhaps he us unreasonable?
I for one will cheer him on.

What this has to do with politics, is beyond me. You talked about reading posts by people here, and then commented on the opinions of those who said that he wasn't a first round pick were stupid. Those are your words. Don't try to pawn off being obtuse and obnoxious as being conservative, please. That's insulting.

Back to Tebow. I think he's a great football player, and a great human. However, I think he needs a lot of work before he'll be a good NFL quarterback. I have played with a lot (literally) of baseball players in MLB. Many of them are terrible judges of baseball talent (in terms of who will make it and who won't). That's not to say that your former teammate is. Some guys slip through the cracks, Brady and Romo come to mind. However, that's abnormal, and we all know it. Something else about those guys, Tom Brady scored a 33 and Tony Romo scored a 37 on their Wonderlic test. That's a little different than Tebows 22. That's not to say that he isn't smart enough to play the position, but it does mean that he's going to have to work really really hard to get over his poor accuracy, throwing motion (when someone is in his face, I bet old motions dies hard), and lack of experience in a pro-style scheme. Alex Smith, who scored a 40 on his Wonderlic test and is easily one of the most intelligent players in the NFL, had a terrible time adjusting to the NFL game after running Urban Meyer's spread offense.

Cool it both of you. None of us know what's going to happen with Tim. And politics have nothing to do with this thread, so keep them out.

Some guys slip through the cracks, Brady and Romo come to mind. However, that's abnormal, and we all know it. Something else about those guys, Tom Brady scored a 33 and Tony Romo scored a 37 on their Wonderlic test. That's a little different than Tebows 22. That's not to say that he isn't smart enough to play the position, but it does mean that he's going to have to work really really hard to get over his poor accuracy, throwing motion (when someone is in his face, I bet old motions dies hard), and lack of experience in a pro-style scheme. Alex Smith, who scored a 40 on his Wonderlic test and is easily one of the most intelligent players in the NFL, had a terrible time adjusting to the NFL game after running Urban Meyer's spread offense.

The Wonderlic is not something I would use as a gauge of talent on the football field, ever. QB Ryan Fitzparick of the Bills scored a 48 out of 50 in 9 minutes. He is a "good" athlete with no hope of being an elite pro QB. Vince Young scored an alleged 6 at the combine and is an elite QB (personal issues aside) with an ugly throwing motion, not as bad as Tebow. Vince's 6 later adjusted on retesting to a 16 would make Tebow a brain surgeon in comparison. Both where winners at the college level with pro QB "issues" with respect to their throwing motion. First rounders are "believed" to be impact players at the pro level. Tim is a project, who is tough as nails with athleticism, mobility and character. He could have been picked up in the second or third round with no issue, is my opinion on the subject.

I guess the next step or evolution of this thread is, can he win AP offensive rookie of the year? The winner usually comes out of the first round. QB's like Ben Roethlisberger, Vince Young, Matt Ryan have done it. He has to be considered better than Brady Quinn or as good as Kyle Orton for you to draft him with a first round pick? Being an impact player and all.....

Kind regards,

The Wonderlic is not something I would use as a gauge of talent on the football field, ever. QB Ryan Fitzparick of the Bills scored a 48 out of 50 in 9 minutes. He is a "good" athlete with no hope of being an elite pro QB. Vince Young scored an alleged 6 at the combine and is an elite QB (personal issues aside) with an ugly throwing motion, not as bad as Tebow. Vince's 6 later adjusted on retesting to a 16 would make Tebow a brain surgeon in comparison. Both where winners at the college level with pro QB "issues" with respect to their throwing motion. First rounders are "believed" to be impact players at the pro level. Tim is a project, who is tough as nails with athleticism, mobility and character. He could have been picked up in the second or third round with no issue, is my opinion on the subject.

I guess the next step or evolution of this thread is, can he win AP offensive rookie of the year? The winner usually comes out of the first round. QB's like Ben Roethlisberger, Vince Young, Matt Ryan have done it. He has to be considered better than Brady Quinn or as good as Kyle Orton for you to draft him with a first round pick? Being an impact player and all.....

Kind regards,

Agreed.

The Wonderlic score has been an indicator of great players like:
Ryan Fitzatrick-48
Jason Maas-43
Drew Hensen-42
Charlie Frye-38
Craig Krenzel-38
Matt Leinart-35
JT O'Sullivan-35
Kellen Clemens-35
Charlie Whitehurst-33
Patrick Ramsey-32
Jesse Palmer-32
Giovanni Carmazzi-32
Sage Rosenfels-32
Andrew Walter-31
JP Losman-31

For laughs:
Vince Young-15
Jim Sorgi-15
Seneca Wallace-14
David Garrard-14
Brock Berlin-13
Tee Martin-11
Marcus Vick-11

No the wonderlic is a terrible gauge of talent, but it's a great gauge of intelligence. The NFL quarterback position requires a lot of things, and with the obstacles he's facing, being super intelligent would help him more. I was just bringing up the two guys who were overlooked that really did well also are extremely intelligent. :wink2:

Gerard, you made my point. He was a reach IMHO

Top Bottom