What's new

Thoughts on Jinhao?

I've been interested in these as well. From what i've read there relatively nice pens. Probably a good pen to learn basic nib maintenance and repair with. Goulet Pens has a buy one, get one deal going on with the #5 nib sizes, if anyone is interested!

They are super cheap aren't they. And I do mean cheap, not affordable.
I've had just one 450 and the cap was ridiculously tight. The inner cap broke and then it was much better. Writing performance was unspectacular.

They fill a price point, but most of us are here because we choose fountain pens for a better writing experience. If that's your case, you'll probably find a better writing experience vs. price further up the scale.

I have a 159, 250, x450, 500, 599A and an x750. For the price, they're spectacular.

Ignoring price, they're still quite nice. Weak point, if any, is the nibs - they're unremarkable but still more than adequate.

Best part is, they're inexpensive enough to give away to admirers. I like the thought of expanding the tribe.

Last edited:
Good Day All,
I apologize for starting this thread then "disappearing". Life came up in unexpected ways... I appreciate the opinions I've seen. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, thinking about getting my youngun's a couple of Metro's instead. I'd hate to turn them off of FP's just to save a few bucks. With the Jinhao's it sounds like it's an iffy proposition.

To the OP: Definitely go for the Metro. If you're buying a pen for kids, the Pelikano Junior might be a good option. Parker Varsity pens can be found for about $7 too, and I think they're great for the money. I have one I still use. Nothing fancy, to be sure, but I like mine.

I bought 4 or 5 Jinhao X450s to tinker with (nib grinding and such), and every single one developed a leak through the grip section. Inky hands are annoying. It's possible to do far better than Jinhao for just a few bucks more.

That said, I'm glad to hear so many people are luckier than I am!

-Andy

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I did end up going with the metro and a pack of varsity pens, simply because I love mine and have never had any issues with it. I didn't want to take the chance of turning them off of fountain pens simply to save a buck or two. Jinhao does make some great looking pens though...

I just purchased two: a 159 for $5 and a 599 for $1.50. I got them because I recently signed up for the Goulet ink drop (cross thread) and wanted a couple of pens to uses as testers. I didn't want the hassle and wasted ink of using/cleaning/inking my daily writers whenever five new inks came in, so I decided to seek out a couple of cheap pens just for the samples.

The way I figure it, both pens were less than the price of a six pack, so if each puts in about an hour or writing time and craps out, it was worth the price paid.

I don't have any real expectations in terms of writing experience. I just wanted a couple of pens to use my ink samples.

OK, so I got in the 159. My initial thoughts were "Wow, what a great pen." That has soon waned. I still think it's a great pen, but it won't write half the time. I can get it to write with the nib turned upside down, but it won't write while being held properly. I've tried a couple of different inks. I've cleaned it out three different times.

Any ideas on making this thing work? It cost me five bucks. I don't care about that. I'd like to get it to write because I'd like to write with it.

OK, so I got in the 159. My initial thoughts were "Wow, what a great pen." That has soon waned. I still think it's a great pen, but it won't write half the time. I can get it to write with the nib turned upside down, but it won't write while being held properly. I've tried a couple of different inks. I've cleaned it out three different times.

Any ideas on making this thing work? It cost me five bucks. I don't care about that. I'd like to get it to write because I'd like to write with it.
Maybe if you have another number six nib laying around you can try putting that in to see if it writes any better if that's the case you can replace the stock nib with almost any number 6 nib

Have you pulled the feed yet?? Is the nib lined up correctly? Are the tines too tight? or are they touching too far down and are opening up on the tip? also possible is the the nib itself is bowed too much and the contact between feed and nib isn't good... Need more info!! :blink:
I would really like to make sure that you get the same joy out of your 159 as I do...

I have a #6 Noodler's nib I tried to put in there, but it didn't fit smoothly, and I didn't want to force it.

Quink, I will check some of those things. I have had the feed out three times, cleaned it, etc. I will take it out again and continue to tinker.

Late to the party. I have an excellent 750, an excellent 450 a good 599, a 599 so bad that I threw it away and a really mediocre 750.

The gamble at this price point is inconsistency. A good one is far better than the cost implies, but a bad one is worthless and could put a new person off. I seem to have a 3 in 5 success rate.

I've scratched my itch and will only buy better quality stuff now, but still use the good ones I have often

I have various chinese pens...6 all together. Only had to really tinker with one a lot. The others were more minor adjustments to get them a bit wetter or smoother...

They are inconsistent. If you can tune a nib they might be pretty good.

I bought a few. A 159 and 450 that both have the same 18kgp nib but were very different. One scratchy but good flow. The other smooth but bad glow. Good pens to practice nib adjustment and fiddling.
A 599 that was the best writer but had a cracked section because it was put together off by a very tired worker (kind of sad).
Another 599 with a horrid EF nib. A Hero 616 that was junk. Etc

At 2-3 bucks these are interesting pens. At $12 you can buy a Pilot Kakuno or a 78G.

I like China pens. I have come to NOT like the pull push caps. They can fail to retain. I have gone over to screw caps.

Most of the china pens that I have bought worked properly.

Top Bottom