What's new

This is one lonely forum

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
So I decided to hone my Koeller Magnetic straight last night. The funny thing about honing razors, as opposed to knives, is that knives just keep getting sharper, whereas razors seem to have a sweet spot, after which continued honing seems to dull them. It's really part science and part magic, as far as I'm concerned. One would think that given the geometry of the razor, it would be much easier to sharpen than a knife. Not so!

Still, when it's right, they shave like a dream. Perhaps the fact that I can't get it right all of the time is the source of the appeal for me.

Overhoning can result in a wire edge. Do you have a microscope with which to examine the blade? It really makes a difference when you can view the blade at different steps of the honing process. If you find that you have "passed the sweet spot", try back honing the razor 5 laps on the Norton 8K. Then see how it feels.

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
No, I find that happens even without developing a burr. My intended point was that there just seems to be an entirely different sort of alchemy to putting an edge on a razor versus a knife. I do okay, though.

I don't have any Nortons, but I have no shortage of stones- King, Shapton, Naniwa, Kitayama.

Top Bottom