What's new

Thinking about getting my first SE razor? Suggestions on razor and blades please.

I was debating about getting my first SE razor. Was leaning toward the RR HawkII. Is there a better option for a first SE? Suggestions on blades would be great as well. How many uses on average for a SE Blade?

Because of its low cost—$30–the Hawk V2 (Artist Club blades) is a great way to start. I’m using the Black Hawk V2 exclusively in March and get great shaves. It is aluminum, so it’s a light razor. Blade choice makes a difference, e.g., using the narrower Schick Proline yields less blade exposure, the wider Feather Pro Super more blade exposure.

That being said, two other excellent, low-cost paths are trying one or more of the vintage GEM-blade razors or injectors.

There are various more expensive modern versions in each blade format, and a few uncommon formats, such as those that use half DE blades or proprietary blades.

Re blade life, I don’t push my blades, so perhaps others who really keep track can give you their experiences.

The Hawk is a great way to try the Feather style SE. I liked mine so much that I invested in the nicer ATT Calypso.

The Gem 1912 is another cheap way to try an SE.

All the above comments are excellent and spot on. There are three primary SE platforms, differentiated by the type of blade they use: the GEM style razors, the Artist Club (AC) razors, and injectors. There are other razors that use the half DE blades, but I have no experience with them and I feel as though the other SEs I listed offer a thicker, better blade. I have tried all three SE platforms and a few blades in each platform.

GEM razors are primarily vintage, although there are some current production models that are available for a premium price. These take the GEM blade, just get the GEM PTFE Stainless Steel blades as the others don't seem worthwhile, in my opinion anyway. I got about 4 shaves on a blade with these. The 1912 style head (found on the 1912 and GEM Junior platforms, as well as others) is the most recommended one on this site, and I agree there. I have tried 4 GEM razors without much success. The only one of those four that gave me relatively good results was the GEM Junior (1912 style head).

The Artist Club razors (AC from here on) use the AC blade format which has a blade length about 1.5 times that of the standard DE razor. These blades are very sharp, but also fairly smooth in use too in the right razor and with good technique. My barber calls them the best blades on the market today. There are four companies that make AC blades: Feather, Kai, Schick and Kamisori. I've only used the first three companies' products. Feather makes a large swath of AC blades, most popular being the Feather Pro and Feather Pro Super. The Super provides more blade exposure. Kai also produces a number of these blades, most common I've seen mentioned are the Kai Captain Titan Mild (aka Kai Pinks due to packaging). Schick makes the Proline P-30s for the AC razors, obtainable through select U.S. retailers at a premium or directly from Japan with variable pricing/shipping. I am wholly unfamiliar with Kamisori's offering, just listing it for posterity. I've used the Kai Pinks, Feather Pros, and Schick Prolines. My preference was for the Kai's but I would need a lot more time to be certain. I got 12 shaves from a Proline, in hindsight 10 would have been a good stopping number. About the same on the Kai Pink, never tested the Feather Pro for longevity. As for razors, there is a wide range. The RazoRock Hawk V2 is a good starting point as it is inexpensive and provides a solid shave. The Colonial General is a slight step up in price, and in shave efficiency for me (mine is Stainless). I do not have any other AC razors, but they can go up much higher in price.

My favorite SE format are the injectors. The blade options are more limited than the AC razors, but slightly broader than the GEMs. There are also injector TWIN blades that are currently in production. These are essentially two injector blades glued together and were designed for use in the later injector models. They can only be obtained from Japan or the bay currently, they're called the Schick Injector II TWIN blades. Schick and Personna (available through Ted Pella) are the currently made single injector blades. The main Schicks are made in China and so are nicknames "Chicks". They come in a yellow blister pack. There is also the Schick Proline B-20, which comes from Japan only, in a magazine that lacks an injector key. These must be decanted into an injector magazine (preferably all metal as the plastics are flimsy) for use. The Personnas are much cheaper and come in a plastic injector. My preference is for the Chicks or TWINs, but trying the Personnas isn't expensive. Like the GEMs, there are both vintage and current production models, but unlike the GEMs the current models are all available for under $100. Several companies made vintage injectors, primarily Schick, PAL and Personna (but Gillette had one or two). I would recommend starting with the Schicks as they are easily obtainable and typically in decent condition. This site provides a classification system that is used commonly for the Schick injectors and is a wealth of information. I would recommend starting with a Schick Type I or J for vintage injectors, smooth and efficient. The Supply Single Edge is a solid Stainless Steel injector style razor that is in current production. I didn't get along with it as well as others do, but it provides an efficient, smooth shave. The other current production injector is the eBarbershop Type O clone which works best with the Japanese TWIN blades. For longevity, I can't give much info on the injectors as I haven't taken most of the blades to their last legs. I'm over 20 shaves on a TWIN and going strong, most gents say 40-50 is easily done. With the Chicks, I've gone above 5 easily, not sure where it will stop, some gents report almost 20 shaves on a blade. I've taken one Personna to 7 shaves (I find them rough).

So, it all depends on what you're interested in. Vintage vs current production, price point, blade preference all play into it. For the GEM format, go with a 1912 style head. For AC, the General in aluminum or RR Hawk are the low price point options. For injectors, I'd go with an I or J, or get the Type O clone. The GEMs and injectors can be found on the bay frequently, and all of them can be found on the BST often as well. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

What's your current DE setup/rotation? What do you like most/least about it? The answers will help us suggest a suitable SE starter. Just be aware that once you start down the SE path, DE will never look quite the same again...

@Johnnynroy

Let me say a perfect explanation for all the beginners into shaving. If you could just add pictures of blades and some razors, I would suggest to the moderators to consider it into turning your post into a sticky thread as a reference.

Wow Awesome advice from above posts The only thing I could add is there is a try a blade website where you can order a sample of different blades at a descent price to see what blade works best for you

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
All the above comments are excellent and spot on. There are three primary SE platforms, differentiated by the type of blade they use: the GEM style razors, the Artist Club (AC) razors, and injectors. There are other razors that use the half DE blades, but I have no experience with them and I feel as though the other SEs I listed offer a thicker, better blade. I have tried all three SE platforms and a few blades in each platform.

GEM razors are primarily vintage, although there are some current production models that are available for a premium price. These take the GEM blade, just get the GEM PTFE Stainless Steel blades as the others don't seem worthwhile, in my opinion anyway. I got about 4 shaves on a blade with these. The 1912 style head (found on the 1912 and GEM Junior platforms, as well as others) is the most recommended one on this site, and I agree there. I have tried 4 GEM razors without much success. The only one of those four that gave me relatively good results was the GEM Junior (1912 style head).

The Artist Club razors (AC from here on) use the AC blade format which has a blade length about 1.5 times that of the standard DE razor. These blades are very sharp, but also fairly smooth in use too in the right razor and with good technique. My barber calls them the best blades on the market today. There are four companies that make AC blades: Feather, Kai, Schick and Kamisori. I've only used the first three companies' products. Feather makes a large swath of AC blades, most popular being the Feather Pro and Feather Pro Super. The Super provides more blade exposure. Kai also produces a number of these blades, most common I've seen mentioned are the Kai Captain Titan Mild (aka Kai Pinks due to packaging). Schick makes the Proline P-30s for the AC razors, obtainable through select U.S. retailers at a premium or directly from Japan with variable pricing/shipping. I am wholly unfamiliar with Kamisori's offering, just listing it for posterity. I've used the Kai Pinks, Feather Pros, and Schick Prolines. My preference was for the Kai's but I would need a lot more time to be certain. I got 12 shaves from a Proline, in hindsight 10 would have been a good stopping number. About the same on the Kai Pink, never tested the Feather Pro for longevity. As for razors, there is a wide range. The RazoRock Hawk V2 is a good starting point as it is inexpensive and provides a solid shave. The Colonial General is a slight step up in price, and in shave efficiency for me (mine is Stainless). I do not have any other AC razors, but they can go up much higher in price.

My favorite SE format are the injectors. The blade options are more limited than the AC razors, but slightly broader than the GEMs. There are also injector TWIN blades that are currently in production. These are essentially two injector blades glued together and were designed for use in the later injector models. They can only be obtained from Japan or the bay currently, they're called the Schick Injector II TWIN blades. Schick and Personna (available through Ted Pella) are the currently made single injector blades. The main Schicks are made in China and so are nicknames "Chicks". They come in a yellow blister pack. There is also the Schick Proline B-20, which comes from Japan only, in a magazine that lacks an injector key. These must be decanted into an injector magazine (preferably all metal as the plastics are flimsy) for use. The Personnas are much cheaper and come in a plastic injector. My preference is for the Chicks or TWINs, but trying the Personnas isn't expensive. Like the GEMs, there are both vintage and current production models, but unlike the GEMs the current models are all available for under $100. Several companies made vintage injectors, primarily Schick, PAL and Personna (but Gillette had one or two). I would recommend starting with the Schicks as they are easily obtainable and typically in decent condition. This site provides a classification system that is used commonly for the Schick injectors and is a wealth of information. I would recommend starting with a Schick Type I or J for vintage injectors, smooth and efficient. The Supply Single Edge is a solid Stainless Steel injector style razor that is in current production. I didn't get along with it as well as others do, but it provides an efficient, smooth shave. The other current production injector is the eBarbershop Type O clone which works best with the Japanese TWIN blades. For longevity, I can't give much info on the injectors as I haven't taken most of the blades to their last legs. I'm over 20 shaves on a TWIN and going strong, most gents say 40-50 is easily done. With the Chicks, I've gone above 5 easily, not sure where it will stop, some gents report almost 20 shaves on a blade. I've taken one Personna to 7 shaves (I find them rough).

So, it all depends on what you're interested in. Vintage vs current production, price point, blade preference all play into it. For the GEM format, go with a 1912 style head. For AC, the General in aluminum or RR Hawk are the low price point options. For injectors, I'd go with an I or J, or get the Type O clone. The GEMs and injectors can be found on the bay frequently, and all of them can be found on the BST often as well. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Good report, might have to buy one down the road myself. Thanks

Thanks for asking the question. I have a similar one - and that is are the shaves from an AC (or an injector) that much better than a good DE shave? I’m getting great shaves from my current setup and I’m wondering if I’m running afoul of the law of diminishing returns by thinking of heading down this rabbit hole.

I’ve used Gems before and while they were nice, I didn’t find them to shave me any better than a DE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've started down the injector rabbit hole and the shaves are ridiculously good.I had a new friend on here say it's almost like cheating.
Far better than DE, and i have very good results with a variety of DEs
It seems to be the chick blades. Very thick. A different animal if you will.
I saw a 1950s commercial. They carved a bar of soap with a Gillette de , and then a schick injector.
The DE was rough and choppy , the injector was a smooth scroll of soap.
It's the thin blade VS. thick blade thing.
An injector is very smooth , especially against the grain.

Wow, great write up.

I have been playing with the SE format for about 2 years and hardly ever touch my DE razors any more.

I am torn on this one, I switched to SE shaving about 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back, originally with Injectors, but tried GEM-type about 6 mos ago and find that I am getting the closest shave ever with these.

I think it may help to know your face/beard type so we can recommend the best option for you. I have a tough beard that has some "difficult mapping", especially around the neck. Too many passes and I get some irritation. So I switch off from my GEMs to my more mild injectors day to day and I stay clear of that while still getting quite a smooth shave. I cannot use my most aggressive injectors much anymore as they cause a bit too much irritation. (my E types are likely going up for sale).

I say stick w Vintage.

My favorite GEM right now is my G-bar, and for my Injector, its always been my "66".

There's only one way to find out :) Good news is vintage Gems/Schick razors and blades are so easy to obtain. I have ~15 SE razors(including modern) and Clog-Pruf and Schick Adjustable type M get the most use.
PTFE Gem blades last me 4-5 head shaves and Schick injectors about 5-7.
Should also mention that like others in this thread I also have switched to SE shaving a few years back and haven't used a DE since.

Top Bottom