What's new

Think your razor is safe in a leather holster?

Its not....well, if its a DE89 by EJ, it may not be......I bought a Merkur leather holster for mine because Ive seen soo many people dropping them and breaking at the screw attachment.....Well I dropped mine today, enroute to the bathroom...

It dropped inside the holster, on a bathroom mat (that u stand on), and it still broke at the screw attachment......I picked it up thinking, ohhhh its fine, no problem. Then I felt the head flopping around in the holster, so I initially thought I didnt screw it down tight enough and it loosened up...NOPE it sheered clean off. The screw is still inside the handle taunting me.

I know, but the 89's shave soooo smooth!!

Im considering, once back in the states on upgrading to a SS Feather...I just want smooth, non aggressive, and able to withstand impacts from sink level in full leather flack jacket, ya know? Do I have to spend $180 for that? Does anybody know the dropping strengh of the Feathher ss?

Pot-metal = catastrophic failure at some point.

With stainless steel or brass, you are much less likely to have that happen.

I had exactly the same problem, except that my razor was dropped on a marble tiled floor with no protection. The screw breaking off the cap was my issue also. At the suggestion of another member I wrote to:

Dovo/Merkur
Böcklinstr. 10
42719 SOLINGEN
DEUTSCHLAND
Attn: Anne Rothstein, Customer Service

One day after receiving my letter, which included a picture of the broken part, Ms. Rothstein responded that a repalcement cap was on its way to me via airmail! Can't beat that in my book.

Anther thing that hasn't been mentioned is that leather will also hold in moisture which may cause the razor to rust. I know that for knife at least, your not supposed to keep them in a leather holster for prolonged periods for this reason. I would say it's even more important for a razor since they're usually a little wet.

I must have gotten lucky. I've dropped my barber poll on the tiled floor a number of times and have had no problems. but to be honest i would not expect a soft leather pouch to provide the same level of protection you could expect from a carry case

Anther thing that hasn't been mentioned is that leather will also hold in moisture which may cause the razor to rust. I know that for knife at least, your not supposed to keep them in a leather holster for prolonged periods for this reason. I would say it's even more important for a razor since they're usually a little wet.

If you're putting a knife in a leather holster for a prolonged period of time, you should oil the blade and wrap it in cling film

I know, but the 89's shave soooo smooth!!

Im considering, once back in the states on upgrading to a SS Feather...I just want smooth, non aggressive, and able to withstand impacts from sink level in full leather flack jacket, ya know? Do I have to spend $180 for that? Does anybody know the dropping strengh of the Feathher ss?

Just buy another EJ 89. You can buy 5 of them for the price of a $180 razor!

Ive been keeping my EJ89L in a leather holster for nearly 6 mos now, never drying if off more than a "shake" or two really.....No rust or blemishes to report of yet anyways.

I understand that the leather pouch isnt designed for impact testing, I really use it as protection, for kids and such that may sneak in the bedroom and start playing with the shiney EJ89....Protection was a secondary thought. But with that said, the leather case + the fluffy floor mat, and it still shears off??? I mean it wasnt just the pouch, Im sure the floor mat absorbed quite a bit of the impact. It wasnt flung, thrown, it was just dropped, from waist hight, hitting the floor mat. Anyways..........

Im currently debating the EJ89 vs Feather SS replacement........I enjoy smooth, non aggressive razors, that can preferable land on a marshmallow and not break too!!! lol

Top Bottom