What's new

Things that taste great but are REALLY bad for you

I'm not talking about the cookies you bought at the store today, I mean the really serious artery-clogging, out of the ordinary treats that you have tried. Here are two of my favorites:

In New Haven, CT, there is a little coffee shop called the Yankee Doodle. The place hasn't changed since the early 1900's; it has maybe 10 seats at a counter and that is it. Awesome breakfast food as well as great burgers, etc. Anyhow, the guy there makes a fried donut: take a glazed donut, split in half like a bagel, and grill it on the same greasy grill where the rest of the food is made. Then slather it with butter and serve. Truly wild, and truly awesome.

The second: go to Scotland and get a deep-fried Mars bar. 'nuff said.

Let's hear them, gents. My cardiologist awaits.

One local restaurant used to have a fried clam dinner. It consisted of a half pound of fried clams, fries, onion rings, and a side of cole slaw. After having on the menu for a couple of decades, they dropped it when their customers became more health conscious.

Chicken Alfredo. I always assumed, naively, that because it was pasta and white meat, it wasn't bad for you. Then I read the amount of butter and heavy cream that went into it and discovered the huge amount of calories and grams of fat that they added. But it tastes sooo good.

Here in the Great Northwest, you will find this burger on many menus:
One or two patties, topped with cheese, bacon, ham, pastrami, and a fried egg, and of course you can add some lettuce...tomato etc. for a healthier meal.:biggrin:

A BBQ place near here has only two desserts on their menu: deep fried Oreos and deep fried Twinkies. I've had the Twinkie, and it's actually quite good.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
A little gin mill in town makes a great cheeseburger with a slice of Taylor Ham (pork roll) gently placed on top.

At any local Deli, a Reuben or a Dinty Moore would probably qualify. Haven't had one in years, but they are completely made with all the bad stuff and they are wonderful. all the fat, cholesterol, calories, fat, plus all the chemicals that go into curing deli meats. Yum.

OK. Now I'm hungry for these, so I've got to scope out a deli for a fix.

-- John Gehman

• Dirt bombs on the Cape
  • French fries slatherd in gravy and topped with melted Velveeta cheese
  • I had a friend that played "mystery cans" when we used to go backpacking in the White Mountains. He would take all the labels off the cans. For dinner two cans would be opened and combined. I have had all two-way permutations of corned beef hash, baked beans and Dinty Moore beef stew. So what tasted good? The hash and Dinty Moore combination was pretty good. Plus, we rationalized that overnight camping in the Whites is so chilly that the body NEEDS all that fat to survive.

HOT NOW Krispy Kreme Doughnuts...ya got to get them hot off the rollers or they are no good. about 200 calories each:eek:

Calabash, NC for some hot calabash style popcorn shrimp...huge mounds of the little buggers slathered in coctail sauce with hushpuppies and washed down with iced tea. follow up with homemade banana pudding... If you die in the resturant, they just slip you off the end of the pier.

M

modern man

Cheese Steaks and Tastycakes

Oh and the Elvis sammich (bacon peanutbutter and fried bananas).

There's a Greek restaurant near my place of employment that makes the best baklava I've ever had. For those of you who have never tried Baklava, it is a pastry made of many layers of paper-thin phyllo dough with a filling usually of honey, cinnamon and ground nuts and slathered with melted butter. Oh my!:tongue_sm :tongue_sm

Coconut cream pie,
Banana cream pie,
Glazed donuts,
Creme fills,
Lemon fills,
pickled hot sausages,
hot Italian sausage,
Pickled pig feet,
Pickled pork hocks,
Pickled eggs,
Deviled eggs,
Hamburgers,
Hot dogs with sauce,
Pepperoni rolls with Mozzarella cheese & peppers!
AND LOTS MORE!!!!!!!!

I'll submit the ultimate southern good ol' boy munchie: fresh pork cracklin's. I truly pity anyone who has not been blessed with the experience.

Wayne

Top Bottom