What's new

There needs to be a warning sticky to noobs

You veterans of straight shaving need to tell us newbies of the enhanced dangers of SRAD. I haven't even got my starter set from Whipped Dog and I can feel that old ache in the bones, and a dollar in DE and SE world doesnt go as far in straight razor world....

Ditto...My Whipped Dog straight is enroute...don't even have my first straight shave under my belt and I'm already contemplating the next one!

Browsing the pictures of all these beautiful razors on B&B is dangerous.

Just you wait until someone offers to hone your razor on some incredibly rare stone from the other side of the earth.
You get the razor back back, get a divine shave...& start chasing the Dragon forever & ever...

People around here are like crack-dealers, it's free until you get hooked :w00t:

Yikes! I can see I'm in for expensive trouble!

It can be, but not necessarily...

As for HAD... after trials and errors, I now use just a 3"x8" yellow coticule and that is all I need... unicot or dilucot. You may want a 1k stone also to work on bevels for those problem razors that need to start from square 1.

As for SAD... a good 3" strop with a premium cloth backing is all you need. On the back side of the leather, take 400 grit sandpaper to smooth it down and rough up the texture a little so the CrOx paste will adhere better. You can add a different paste to the back side of the premium cloth (like the TI white paste) so a single strop can provide 4 levels of sharpening.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
A good quality sought after straight razor is in fact, like hard currency. If you select the correct ones that have a following, or find perhaps a scarce marque, you will most likely NEVER lose one red cent if you decide to off load it either here on BST or on eBay. I convinced my Blonde Nurse of this and she no longer worries she is living with a complete madman!

A good quality sought after straight razor is in fact, like hard currency. If you select the correct ones that have a following, or find perhaps a scarce marque, you will most likely NEVER lose one red cent if you decide to off load it either here on BST or on eBay. I convinced my Blonde Nurse of this and she no longer worries she is living with a complete madman!

This is very true. I've been selling a few razors on eBay recently and they are going for much higher than I'd have thought, but they are known brands with a following.

That said, if you are looking to get started for not a lot of money - pick up vintage makers that aren't so highly followed. Almost all vintage sheffield, solingen, eskilstuna, or french razors are going to be well made and of high quality capable of taking a great edge. Find the ones that aren't followed and you can have a great razor at a bargain that will shave just as well as those highly sought after razors.

I have heard that Filiharmonica razors are good razors that sell for not a lot of money, keep an eye out for those. :lol:

It can be, but not necessarily...

As for HAD... after trials and errors, I now use just a 3"x8" yellow coticule and that is all I need... unicot or dilucot. You may want a 1k stone also to work on bevels for those problem razors that need to start from square 1.

As for SAD... a good 3" strop with a premium cloth backing is all you need. On the back side of the leather, take 400 grit sandpaper to smooth it down and rough up the texture a little so the CrOx paste will adhere better. You can add a different paste to the back side of the premium cloth (like the TI white paste) so a single strop can provide 4 levels of sharpening.

Have you priced an 8x3 lately?:w00t::lol:

I agree totally. I started wet shaving just over a year ago. I started with a Mach 3 shave set. Just this week I bought my first safety razor, a Merkur Vision. Now I never even had an inkling of wanting a SR. Within one day of getting my Merkur all of a sudden I find myself longing for an SR. I just have to have one! If I just get one all my problems will be solved, I'm sure!

Byron Oost in Owensboro, KY

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Welcome Byron.... I've been through your town a time or two... So many beautiful little areas of Kentucky! Born in Indiana, reared in East Tennessee, I really think Kentucky is one of my very favorite states....and great antique hunting grounds.

My daughters got me a 24 count pipe rack about a year ago. It used to hold my pipes, now the pipes are back in different places around the house, and guess what's in the rack.......:w00t:

It all starts off with a simple little straight that needs a little TLC....
Then the restoration bug sets in and you are truly in trouble....:lol::lol:

Ah does this mean that if (for if read maybe........well ok have) got my 1st straight on the way I am on the slippery slope to another expensive addiction.......:blink:..........next I need a strop and ???

My daughters got me a 24 count pipe rack about a year ago. It used to hold my pipes, now the pipes are back in different places around the house, and guess what's in the rack.......:w00t:

It all starts off with a simple little straight that needs a little TLC....
Then the restoration bug sets in and you are truly in trouble....:lol::lol:

That's what happened to me... had a couple straights from my wife's uncle, just as decoration in the den. (also got about 10 DEs from him...) Then I figured I'd replace the busted scales on the one, and hand sand the blade some... Now I'm done, about a dozen straights, 3 cotis, a DMT, barber's hone... and counting!

Top Bottom