What's new

The Soul Of Sport

Gents, as I proceed to lead a more active life, I have gotten back into the grand game of golf. I am fortunate, living in the Northern Virginia/D.C. Metro area to have access to several very good courses, one of which is not but two miles from my house. Today, I spent some time at the driving range with my friend's Adams Speedline Driver hitting balls. I find this to be therapeutic, as is the entirety of the game itself.

One gentleman was hitting balls fairly far, but the trajectory was low, and the sound his club made was a solid "thwack!", compared to my hollow sounding "ping!". My interest was immediately piqued. I had to ask him what he was using and, as it turned out, his driver was made from persimmon wood, and it was made by a company out of Kentucky called Louisville Golf. I asked him if I could try it out and I was stunned. The feeling off the clubhead was solid as a rock, but there was more to it-there was some soul behind it. There's something to be said for the old-fashioned way of doing things; they might not be the quickest or the flashiest, but often they're the best. That, I'm sure, has a lot to do with why we shave the way we do.

I decided to talk more with him and as it turned out, he had persimmon fairway woods and persimmon putters. I tried them all out and was flat-out blown away by their performance. I wonder, have we been selling the soul of sport out to technology? I mean, steroids are a form of technology; they're a synthetic boost to performance. What, then, can be said of aluminum baseball bats with nitrogen bladders in them to make the baseball fly off the bat faster than a wooden bat ever could? What about the aforementioned; a driver in golf with a metal clubhead the size of a grapefruit?

Now, I'm not advocating that Tour de France riders use bicycles made with stainless steel frames or that American football players wear the old leather helmets or anything like that; many technological advances throughout sport have added greatly to the level of competition and performance. It would seem, though, that sport is subject all too often to marketing pitfalls and ego-driven commercialization. "I won the old-fashioned way." has changed to "Chicks dig the longball." Instead of sport with some level of integrity, sense of tradition and looming large degree of difficulty, there seem to be some technological advances that have made many aspects of sport too flashy, too commercial, and in many ways, too damn easy. How hard can it be to hit a golf ball with a driver whose clubhead is so big that it has its own gift shop?

This thread, like the original post, is broad and tangential. Feel free to post your thoughts on the soul of sport.

Last edited:
Nice post. I agree with a lot of what you say. Among other things, it bothers me when sports become competitions between or tests of equipment rather than people. (I have to strongly disagree, however, with the part about golf being theraputic! :eek:)

I think it has been lost somewhat. Massive salaries, huge sponsorship and TV rights deals have all added to it. Sport has become very image driven with no place for flamboyant characters. Is there a George Best in the world of football today? Technology and improvements in sports medicine has helped in reducing on field injuries and recovery times which is a good aspect however. I also believe in some sports skill levels have dropped. In the case of Australian Rules Football, the game played today is different to the one played 20 years ago. It is a much quicker game with some of the kicks and skills I used to see as a kid almost gone making it boring IMO. My 2c

Not really being a "traditional" sports fan myself, I can't comment on the soul of sport, but I can whole-heartedly relate to your comments about the therapeutic effects of doing something--anything--you're passionate about.

I'm convinced I was put on this earth to do a core group of things...motorcycling easily being near the top. Nothing comes close to jumping on my bike (oftentimes with no particular destination other than home at some point) and "meditating in the wind" as James Hetfield so eloquently put it.

I figured I could spend a couple grand on a bike now and save a small fortune on personal therapist office fees later. :lol:

I love my classic Columbus SL steel frame bike. I love my carbon fibre frame bike. I never ride the steel bike anymore...there is no reason to aside from asthetics and if you are about performance, asthetics mean little.

If I were playing golf today I would use whatever technology I could afford to get me to hit the ball far and straight and consistent.

Its not about the bike (sorry Lance) and its not about the club. Its about the person and the ride or the game..that is the soul of sport.

There is some truth to what you say. John McEnroe often talks about shrinking the head of tennis rackets and making them out of wood - kind of like the ones that he used growing up in order to get the lost art of vollying back into the game. He has a point. Another sport that could use a dose of the old days is Americas Cup sailing. How much money has Larry Ellison spent on technology for boats used once every 3-4 years? The result is something so specific to where they sail and during that season that it has no payoff in other areas of sailing. Personally, I'd like to see them go backwards and have guys climb the mast to change the sails like they used to 100 years ago. Might actually get people to watch the races too. Finally, I'd love to see a throwback tournament in golf to get today's stars to hit with clubs build like they were when Bobby Jones played. It would be nice to see who really has a skill and who is simply a slave to today's technology.

I think that it depends on the sport. For me, it's a combination of both tradition and technology. I love going into a roughneck gym that has that smell--old mats, leather gear, wood floors, linament, decades of workouts. I like the look of a place that's been in the same place for years. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to box with a pair of old leather gloves with split seams and horsehair poking out. When it comes to performance or protective gear, I'll take state of the art. But I think you can balance the two. As long as my competitor--in whatever sport--is geared up with the same stuff, that's all that matters. That way, we can measure ourselves against one another in the most efficient possible way.

The soul of sport is competition.

Anyone who puts forth an effort to participate in a sport wants to win. Anyone who says "I don't care about winning" is just exercising, which isn't a sport.

Most of my competitive sports life revolved around wrestling. 0 technology available to assist you in advancing in the sport of wrestling. Roids? you won't make weight. Shoes? Don't matter. Headgear? Doesn't matter. Singlet? Absolutely does not matter. Skill against skill alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom