What's new

The QUALITY of various brushes..??

Sully,

If I understand you correctly, you're asking about the differences in quality between makers and within brands.

First, some brands are more expensive than others. One would like to think its due to the higher quality, but that isn't always the case. That being said, if you go with Rooney, Simpson's, or Shavemac, you will be getting a well made brush.

Then there are several factors which increase price. Knot Size: More hair, more money. Density: also, more hair more money. Materials: Horn or other fancy materials cost more.

Personally, if I'm going to spend $100+ on a brush, which sadly, most of my brushes are, I want a name brand with "pedigree". I'm sure omega makes nice badgers. I have one of their boars and its decent. But for $175 I'd rather go with the tried and true simpson's or shavemac. In my personal opinion, an omega like that is outside of its market. It doesn't have the same "cachet" for lack of a better word, that Rooney and Simpson's have in particular. Shavemac doesn't have the same heritage as those 2 english brands, but its made a name for itself because of its quality. I think that speaks volumes about their brushes.

Also, there are LEs and the like which cost more money. To me, thats paying for exclusivity, but that most certainly isn't always the case.

To compare 2 brushes, lets take the Simpson's Berkeley and Classic 1. The berkeley has a 20mm knot, and the classic has a 22mm knot. They are hand made, so there are variations. I suspect the classic 1 is closer to 20mm than 22mm. Anyway, the classic 1 is double the price of the berkeley. Why, you ask? Because it has much more hair. This drastically changes the feel of the brush. Some people like that, some don't. It's personal preference. It's not to say that the classic is 2x's better than the berkeley, but the differences in materials mean it is twice as expensive.

Generally speaking, the more expensive models have more attention to detail. You better believe that the people tying the knots on a $250 Chubby are more thorough and careful than on a $35 Special. Some may argue that there should be the same attention to all models, but lets face it, there isn't nor should there be. It's not to say that the less expensive models aren't good brushes or well made, but they will be more prone to having the occasional issue.

If I were you, I would decide what you like in brush, and go from there. If you're looking for a dense, scrubby face latherer, I can give recommendations. If you're looking for a pillowy soft bowl latherer, then you're going to want to go with a different brand and model than I would recommend for a face lathering soaps.

Last edited:
GreekGuy: My hats off to you sir! I knew if I waded thru enough S*** that someone would take my question serious and give me a proper answer. You have pointed out different avenues for me to look down and I shall....and trust me sir your input is GREATLY appreciated!

Might I ask what an "LE" brush might be??

GreekGuy: My hats off to you sir! I knew if I waded thru enough S*** that someone would take my question serious and give me a proper answer. You have pointed out different avenues for me to look down and I shall....and trust me sir your input is GREATLY appreciated!

Might I ask what an "LE" brush might be??

You're welcome! And it's my pleasure

Regarding the LE, its short for Limited Edition. Most makers have produced various LEs at some point. Generally speaking, they tend to come at a cost premium, but that isn't always the case.

Sometimes they are just a different handle material. For example, Simpson's has recently produced some LE brushes in butterscotch handles. It may also be a certain style of brush with a hair offering that isn't normally produced, for example, the Simpson's Classic in 2-band. Simpson's tends to be pretty flexible with custom orders, but they don't normally produce every handle with certain grades of hair and will occasionally offer a run of a certain style with a not normally used hair.

There are also LEs that are special editions so to speak. For example, Semogue released a badger brush last year that had 2-band hair and was extremely scrubby and had quite a bit of scritch. The hair was different than their usual 2-band badger hair and there were only 100 brushes produced in 2 different sizes. They did the same for a set of boar brushes, and tend to do so every year. There was also a boar/badger mix called the Caravela a couple years back, and I wanna say only 50 or 75 were produced. Originally they were quite reasonably priced, but being so desirable, a number have switched owners and the price seems to keep creeping up so that they are double their original price (if not more)

Also, Simpson's does something similar. Right now they have "Manchurian Badger" in and out of production. There is a whole huge thread about it. It's not a numbered series, but just a special type of hair they sourced. This, of course and like all things here at B&B, has varying opinions.

There are also special editions made for different forums. For example, there is a B&B LE brush which was produced by Kent in 2008 (which you can see on the BST right now). I don't know all the specifics, but its a different handle shape than they normally use, and the knot is a little different as well.

These are just a few examples, and there are many others as well. If you're just starting to get into higher brushes, I think its best to pick something more "standard production." First, it will be much easier to find. It can also be had new (used brushes bother some people). But most importantly in my opinion, you will be able to find plenty of reviews about it. I think once you get into the $150+ price range, most of the brushes by the big makers are great brushes. It really just comes down to preference. While size is the most obvious, I think that it is really not the most important factor in distinguishing between brushes. Its more important to look at factors such as loft, density, feel, flow through, handle shape, etc. There are so many options out there it can be a bit overwhelming. The first step is to decide what you're looking for. I think certain brushes are better suited to certain tasks than others. There are no hard and fast rules, but generally speaking a Shavemac 2-Band D01 is going to be better for hard soaps than a Kent Silvertip, for example. And a Simpson's Polo 12 is going to be better for bowl lathering than a Simpson's Classic 1. Etc etc.

Once you decide what you're looking for, or what your preferences are, there are plenty of members who can point you in the right direction. There have been many "help me pick a brush" threads in the past, and you may find some of those helpful. Once you're ready to pick a brush, it will be helpful to know the following:

Do you use mostly soaps or creams?
Do you want a large brush or a small one?
Do you face lather or bowl lather?
Do you like stiff brushes or more springy ones?
Do you like a little scritch or more pillowy soft?
Whats you're budget?

I hope this is helpful. And if you have any other questions, thats why we are here. Myself along with many others enjoy shaving and discussing minute aspects of our gear. While I know you've had some less than helpful replies, don't let that bother or discourage you.

Last edited:
LE in this case is generally going to mean Limited Edition. It's not that no one was taking your question seriously we just didn't understand it. The YMMV factor is always going to be a factor. Like anything else you will generally get what you pay for, as long as you stick to reputable manufacturers like any mentioned above by GreekGuy you should be ok. Any of those manufacturers will produce a quality brush and if they don't they should take care of any defective brushes, if they didn't I can't imagine they'd be in business this long and have the reputations they do.
Most everything else is going to be subjective. I don't know enough to give specific examples but someone may prefer one brand because they prefer a fan shaped knot while another will prefer them because they like their 2 band knots and another may not like them at all just because they don't like their handle shapes. Your best bet is to just take a couple days reading peoples reviews, especially people who review brushes that you have owned/used so you have a basis for comparison. Say you have a Duke 2 that you love and a reviewer likes everything about it but the knot shape, if the reviewer then reviews another brush and likes everything but the knot shape (same as the Duke 2 they didn't care for) then that brush might be a good choice for you to try. If you can find a reviewer who really likes the same style brush you do their reviews will be a great way for you to get a feel for what brushes you might like without ever having to spend a penny. The Wiki is also another great resource that I know I have barely scratched the surface of myself. Good luck

Greek Guy: A wealth of knowledge on brushes for sure!!

Answered you via PM

Last edited:
LE in this case is generally going to mean Limited Edition. It's not that no one was taking your question seriously we just didn't understand it. The YMMV factor is always going to be a factor. Like anything else you will generally get what you pay for, as long as you stick to reputable manufacturers like any mentioned above by GreekGuy you should be ok. Any of those manufacturers will produce a quality brush and if they don't they should take care of any defective brushes, if they didn't I can't imagine they'd be in business this long and have the reputations they do.
Most everything else is going to be subjective. I don't know enough to give specific examples but someone may prefer one brand because they prefer a fan shaped knot while another will prefer them because they like their 2 band knots and another may not like them at all just because they don't like their handle shapes. Your best bet is to just take a couple days reading peoples reviews, especially people who review brushes that you have owned/used so you have a basis for comparison. Say you have a Duke 2 that you love and a reviewer likes everything about it but the knot shape, if the reviewer then reviews another brush and likes everything but the knot shape (same as the Duke 2 they didn't care for) then that brush might be a good choice for you to try. If you can find a reviewer who really likes the same style brush you do their reviews will be a great way for you to get a feel for what brushes you might like without ever having to spend a penny. The Wiki is also another great resource that I know I have barely scratched the surface of myself. Good luck

I disagree entirely with YMMV having ANYTHING to do with an items quality of construction and quality of materials. In the case of shaving brushes I may not LIKE a particualr brush because of the ..??..handle shape...BUT...it may be the best constructed brush and use the best materials of any brush made. YMMV bears on personal selection of an item...not the item itself. Remember the saying "Guns dont kill people...People kill people" Same thing. Personal preference for whatever reason(s) dont affect the quality of a product

Yes, there will be a difference. One brush may be softer the other more "bristly." One may have more loft than another. One may have a different type of handle. It is not that one is better than another - just different to suit differences in tastes. It's not a question of quality - it's a difference in the way they perform.

Jim's got it exactly right; all the well known brands that sell $150+ brushes make excellent products. But a $175 Simpson you love I might hate, while a $175 Thater that I think is the best brush ever made, might only find a home with only 2% of shavers. One of the reasons I have many more brushes than I need is that I love the variety that comes from different design philosophies and manufacturing techniques.

I disagree entirely with YMMV having ANYTHING to do with an items quality of construction and quality of materials. In the case of shaving brushes I may not LIKE a particualr brush because of the ..??..handle shape...BUT...it may be the best constructed brush and use the best materials of any brush made. YMMV bears on personal selection of an item...not the item itself. Remember the saying "Guns dont kill people...People kill people" Same thing. Personal preference for whatever reason(s) dont affect the quality of a product

Well, seeing as I never said anything about YMMV relating to the quality of a brush, simply that personal preferences will help refine your specific choices. As I said in my first paragraph, as long as you stick with one of the bigger name quality manufacturers such as M&F, Simpson, Rooney etc I really don't think anyone here can really make a case for any of them being anything other than top quality. If you want to try and rank them, I'd imagine it would be an exercise in splitting hairs as I doubt you'll have many examples from any of them that are substandard.

Nick, kudos to you for a thoughtful answer. This is sticky-level stuff. It's exactly the answer I would be looking for.

All the answers above deserve this thread to be made a sticky. I'm thankful to Nick for having the patience and the desire to put together all these valid points so well.

Look at the Frank Shaving brush thread, that one is cheap but definitely has poor reviews sometimes, definitely not rated like the more expensive ones.

Also remember the thickness (chubby....) adds more hair, probably more expensive to make.

Then there is the handle.

Those thing would pop out as me to be the most expensive differences. I guess you can call it "quality" although with big enough companies it's hard to find no QA problems, just companies that stand behind their product more. I would say the more expensive ones seem to get better reviews all around though so maybe the QA is better or maybe they are made with superior quality...

Top Bottom