What's new

The Order of the Fat

Has anyone rehydrated a MWF puck more then once? Mine dried out while I 3017 a couple other soaps.
Yes, my puck before last I rehydrated a second time after it dried out because I was experimenting with too many other soaps. I left it soaking for about 7-8 hours and used the small amount of remaining water as a preshave. The soap acted just like before with no problems at all.

October 20, 2023 Friday Shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, Stainless Steel
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat, tallow
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Island Time

Another day in paradise and another great Overlander shave.
This was the usual three pass shave. A very close and comfortable shave, no injury or irritation. No alum or aftershave feedback.
With dozens of other good razors to use, the Overlander has overshadowed them. Maybe I'll use something else soon. Maybe.

10/10

Enjoy your day!

Michell's Wool Fat.jpg

December 10, 2023 Sunday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (2)
Brush: Omega S10049 synthetic
Aftershave: Aqua Velva, Ice Blue

This was the usual three pass shave. I used MWF (tallow) and face lathered for a change. Hadn't used MWF for a few months and got a reminder of how good it is. This was an easy, no drama shave, typical for the Overlander.

It was a great shave.

10/10

Have a great day and be thankful.

Michell's Wool Fat.jpg

I found Shannon's Soap and Crowne and Crane, but don't know anything about them. Do any of you know anything about these?
Not near the performance of MWF for me.

I'd go with Stirling, because one of their tubs gives me over a year of high-performance, daily, 4-pass lathers.

The beef tallow formula is great, but the mutton tallow formula is even more luxurious, and they have a plain scent just called "Sheep" and a few others that have some scent to them. I think all MWF lovers should at least try a sample of "Sheep".

January 1, 2024 Monday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia, 24mm Tuxedo knot
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

This was a very good three pass shave, with no weepers, etc. and no irritation.
The Overlander delivered an excellent shave, helped by the MWF and Lab Blue.
I need to use the MWF more often, its performance is always a cut above most soaps!
What a great way to start the new year!

10/10 BBS

Have a great year!

Michell's Wool Fat.jpg

January 14, 2023 Sunday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum
Blade: Suneko (2)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Maggard plastic
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: St. Johns Utility Bay Rum

You know how it is when you get a shave that's so awesome, you search for words to describe it? That's my situation this morning.
This was a three pass shave on 48 hours of growth. It was the second use of the Suneko Chinese blade. The blade continues to impress. It's smooth and sharp, very easy on the skin while producing an epic shave.

The Mitchell's Wool Fat provided great lather for a smooth, easy shave.

The Overlander always gives a smooth, no drama shave. No weepers, nicks, etc., and no irritation. I tend to favor the aluminum Overlander over the brass and stainless ones. The light weight makes for an effortless shave.

10/10 BBS

Enjoy your day!

Michell's Wool Fat.jpg

March 8, 2024 Friday shave

Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Brush: Paladin Tut re-knotted
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

After three shaves with another razor, it was a delight to get back to using the Overlander. Everything clicked today, the shave was great.
It was a three pass shave. No weepers, nicks, etc. and no irritation. The Tut/MWF combination was excellent for face lathering. I would have done two passes, but had so much lather, I did three passes.

The Nacet/Overlander was super smooth and efficient. It doesn't get any better for me.

10/10

Enjoy your day! After all, it's FRIDAY!!!!

SOTD03_08_24.jpg

I have had a few shaves with the new formulation, thanks to a generous PIF from @AJMiami.
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance. My main gripe is that the scent isn't as strong as I remember.
Don't discount the veggie formula until you try it.
Not surprised. Beyond scent how would you compare the performance of the new version to the old?

I've been using the new non-tallow Tabac and have found it to be one of my best shaving soaps with an enjoyable scent that per others is not as strong as the original formula. If I ever run through my inventory of tallow MWF I'll definitely give the new version (now on its second reformulation per others) a try. Still my favorite due to a luxurious feel to the lather and its unique yet mild scent.

Has anyone rehydrated a MWF puck more then once? Mine dried out while I 3017 a couple other soaps.
Every time I use it. In my rotation MWF gets used every 2-3 weeks from a totally dry puck. No issues quickly loading the soap. Note that I use larger 26mm brushes. I used to use my boar thinking that a stiffer brush was needed for such a hard soap but found I was loading too much soap. Changed to my synthetics and easily load the right amount of soap for each shave.

I let the puck dry with the container open overnight and then seal it back up until the next use. Since my approach never fully hydrates the puck it shows at most a few hairline cracks along the surface (small fraction of a millimeter deep) when dry.

I let mine dry a few hours, but not overnight. I don't get cracking. When I use a new puck, I put it in the container I will keep it in and fill it up with water and let that sit overnight. That hydrates the puck and it swells. After that, no issues with perfect lather. After I finish using it, I let it sit open for two or three hours and then close it up nice and tight until the next go round.

Today is MWF Monday and I had a fantastic, BBS shave without trying, and my face feels gooooooddddd!

MWF can also mean Monday, Wednesday, Friday, so maybe I should follow that this week.

April 7, 2024 Sunday shave

Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (tallow)
Brush: Omega 10066 boar
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Great shave today. The Overlander delivered a wonderful, close and smooth shave.
The forth use of the Wizamet blade was still spot-on.
The Mitchell's Wool Fat was slick and added to the good skin feel after the shave. I should use this more often!
This shave had no drama and no irritation. Perfect!

Have a terrific weekend!

SOTD 04_07_24.jpg

April 7, 2024 Sunday shave

Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (tallow)
Brush: Omega 10066 boar
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Great shave today. The Overlander delivered a wonderful, close and smooth shave.
The forth use of the Wizamet blade was still spot-on.
The Mitchell's Wool Fat was slick and added to the good skin feel after the shave. I should use this more often!
This shave had no drama and no irritation. Perfect!

Have a terrific weekend!

View attachment 1825555
It is gone and remembered fondly. I'm still mad about it being discontinued. I would think some artisan maker would find a way to make this soap. Of course, triple milling might pose a problem.

Reactions: Kix
It was a Fat day (tallow), today. I had the usual creamy, luxurious lather that was so slick it was hard to wash off. It left a nice coating of lanolin on my face and so the after shave feel was really nice. I took it all off with a James Bond Gillette Tech on setting 9 and used an APShaveCo G5C brush to face lather. Wonderful.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom