What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

And the beat goes on ... here is my vintage French Jarville. Obviously a knock-off of the Gillette DR (with a fuzzy picture and a vague description, I could probably make $100 on the 'Bay with this thing!). Cha-wing posted another Jarville a few pages back, but his looks more like a Single Ring, so this is still kinda-sorta new to this thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-quot-Vintage-DE-Thread?p=5416762#post5416762
The first picture is mine. The second picture was swiped from the Googles (to show what it would look like if I were lucky enough to have the case).

View attachment 423449

proxy.php

I have a similar Double ring with no makers name on it at all - so I guess it is a knock off of a Jarville - which is a knock off of a Gillette :laugh:

$DSCN1570 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar Double ring with no makers name on it at all - so I guess it is a knock off of a Jarville - which is a knock off of a Gillette :laugh:

View attachment 449670

I believe we are both Jarville owners. Mine also does not have a maker name stamped into it. I did a bunch of research before concluding that this French DR knock-off is a Jarville.
Take it for a spin -- it's a bit milder than a real DR.

Luna ? I don't believe it has been posted yet, and I don't know any more than what's written on the ad. Here is the picture you wrote about :

$$(KGrHqRHJ!wE8e4rWULNBPOmq42w!g~~60_12.JPG

Oh ok ! I believe Luna became "Mond", which was then bought by Rotbart, which was then bought by Gillette... I'm not the expert here, but I asked for some info about a "Mond-Extra" set that I have, thread here :

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ink-Would-love-to-have-more-info-!?highlight=

and the members helped me with some pictures as well, on which we can see the same "Moon Guy" as Luna's, under the "Mond-Extra" brand. Don't hesitate to have a look-see, here is a peek (which I forgot to post here on this very thread !) :

attachment.php

Not sure what this is, but I purchased it on Ebay for about £10 delivered from someone in Istanbul, Turkey.
Solid brass handle though, and it's kind of pretty.
$Turkey.jpg

Here's a Darwin 'two piece' that was inside a leather travel set along with another locally made Gillette copy(Sheffield);
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
These are all cool posts. Vey interesting to see all the companies that have competed for shavers' dollars in the past.

Here's the other Razor that was in the same set as the Darwin, it appears unused;
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here's the two cases before renovation, both needed a good polish with Autosol
proxy.php

Being relatively new to wet shaving, I am fascinated by this thread. I started collecting vintage razors to experiment shaving with but I do not have that big of a collection.

I did not see this razor in this thread so I thought I would share it. I have yet to clean it up so it looks a bit dull right now.

My reason for purchasing this razor was simply that I had not seen anything like it before and I thought it would go well in a collection.

Does anyone know anything about this Dixi Razor? I was told it dates to 1910 but no one I have spoken to really knows anything about it.

Anyway, here is an interesting Dixi Safety Razor.
$Dixi Razor 1.jpg$Dixi Razor 2.jpg$Dixi Razor 3.jpg$Dixi Razor 4.jpg

I hope this does justice to some of the beautiful razors I have seen here.

Top Bottom