What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Following the brilliant, pioneering work of founder King Camp, Gillette designers and engineers mostly lay down on the job, focussing their efforts on creating ever-fancier handles and packaging, and inventing ever-sillier names that tapped the roots of male status consciousness and insecurity (Big Fellow! Senator! Aristocrat!, Diplomat! Regent!). But in terms of actual technological innovation, Gillette managed to produce only four or five generations of DE razors (Old Type, New Improved, New, etc)

This assessment appears to miss the mark.

As a mass market American company, Gillette's real competition came from companies like Ever Ready and Gem Junior, producing razors at a very low comparative price. It was the expiration of Gillette's 1904 patents for complementary razors and blades which expired in 1921 that gave rise to the New and Improved set of Gillette razors. Their existing line of razors was dropped significantly in price, and the new ones retained the old, higher price.

Big business bashing is surely fun sport on Internet forums. Actually running a big business in the 1920s, inventing the strategies graduate students study today and creating a brand with 100 years of life ahead of it, was probably not done by fools laying down on the job…

I thought the Moshulu's older post as referenced was very informative and provided an excellent history, but I have to agree with Ron Scott's post above. I own both a LeCoq and a Leresche and while they are fine razors, I don't consider them to be much more than warmed over versions of a Gillette Old Type.

Last edited:
I saw a Segal Uni-Matic in person for the first time ever today. The way that thing opens in one smooth motion is just plain awesome.

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I now have one more to add to my RAD list. How does it shave?

In a word. Awesome. Put in a Gillette black 7 and went to town. Slice city and smooth as oil. I like the slants one feature in particular and that's on the "skinny" side the one with the least opening (that would be on the left side of the razor head) allows me to trim xtg on my upper lip very closely. Nice feature.

Thought i'd add my recently acquired apollo mikron thats a little different from the others we see, it has what i think is an aluminium adjuster knob and a solid guard bar i did quite a bit of googling trying to find any info on it but all i could find is a picture of it on a shipper box that shanman has....

proxy.php

Thought i'd add my recently acquired apollo mikron thats a little different from the others we see, it has what i think is an aluminium adjuster knob and a solid guard bar i did quite a bit of googling trying to find any info on it but all i could find is a picture of it on a shipper box that shanman has....

proxy.php

Very cool catch! Most have an white adjuster dial that has to be turned with a key. Is this adjustable by itself without the need for a key?

yeah this mikron has a small screw at the bottom of the dial but thats for setting it to zero with the blade in then once tightened and set you can adjust up and down just like the progress....

yeah this mikron has a small screw at the bottom of the dial but thats for setting it to zero with the blade in then once tightened and set you can adjust up and down just like the progress....

These Apollo's are nearly impossible to nail down the time line. I too wonder when this was made. I wonder which came first the metal knob adjusters or bakelite? In any case a very hearty congrats.

I haven't seen a Cooper yet on this thread, so here is mine. It uses proprietary blades. If you want to shave with it, you have 3 choices: buy NOS Cooper blades, alter a modern blade, or take a Dremel to the head. I have not tried any of these options, so I don't know how it shaves (although I heard it shaves well).
$Cooper1.jpg$Cooper3.jpg$Cooper2.jpg

Oh I can add to this thread :001_smile

I don't have a clue in the world what it is but I can say with unabridged certainty that it "sure ain't no Gillette" :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh I can add to this thread :001_smile

I don't have a clue in the world what it is but I can say with unabridged certainty that it "sure ain't no Gillette" :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

What a piece of work that is! This thing just screams "Design" "Art Deco". What a piece of work!

Top Bottom