What's new

The new Gillette TV commercial

Also, think of the corporate backlash. Just look at a Gillette Fusion and tell me which construction and manufacturing skills that are transferable from that to a Slim or a Tech. Not many. It would be the blades, but they are already being made in Russia and India. Marketing would like it more however, as it would give them something to do and a wealth of nostalgia to pour from.

I have not purchased much in the past few years, so I am enjoying the full financial benefits of converting to DE shaving

Could the display of their old DEs in new commercial be a sign that they might bring back the DE ? I do think a DE revival is possible beyond the niche/long tail market and subculture that we here at B&B are a part of. If Gillette or a similar company saw that this could worth, they might attempt it.

Wouldn't a brand new Gillette DE with a few little updates borrowed from Merkur be awesome?!
Also, as I'm sure most here know, Gillette parent company Procter & Gamble also owns The Art of Shaving, and sells DE razors made by Muhle and Merkur through that channel, as well as soap, brushes, etc. under The Art of Shaving brand. Should they decide to sell DE razors under The Art of Shaving brand, those would essentially be new Gillette DE razors.

I did not know that Gilette's parent company owned the Art Of Shaving brand.

Yes, a new Gilette DE is pretty unlikely. But I still think a 'one off' newly minted special edition of some Gilette classic like the Fatboy (my personal all time favourite) would be very cool

By the way, speaking of CHarles Roberts - I just saw that he died only a couple of years ago. THis was news to me as I visit B&B only now and then these days. His techniques with the "face mapping" were the best

Gillette has made BILLIONS and they will continue to do so. Sure they may have lost some revenue to competitors but they will always be on top. I wish I would have purchased a 1000 shares of their parent company stock 30 years ago.

Still not sure how people only get 3-5 shaves out a Fusion Proglide. I get at least 40 BBS shaves out of one cartridge and I have a pretty thick & heavy beard. Makes no sense to me.

What's really hurting Gillette is the internet. My local stores charge high prices for DE blades, including the Gillette brand. But, I got Russian-made Gillettes from an internet vendor for less than 1/5 the cost of my local store. That's probably below Gillette's profit margin for the US. Same with Indian-made Gillette Guard carts. So, I have both Gillette blades and carts, but not bought locally and THAT'S what's hurting them--that I can pay a small fraction of their price and use the internet. It's just like what Amazon is doing to retailers.

I heard that ad on the radio this morning and had a good laugh. I got tired of paying 40 bucks for 8 carts back in 2008 and went the DE route. Never looked back!

I stopped giving Gillette money for carts, but I spend on strange and exotic DE razors instead, maybe even more money, even though it's not really necessary.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Gillette has made BILLIONS and they will continue to do so. Sure they may have lost some revenue to competitors but they will always be on top. I wish I would have purchased a 1000 shares of their parent company stock 30 years ago.

Still not sure how people only get 3-5 shaves out a Fusion Proglide. I get at least 40 BBS shaves out of one cartridge and I have a pretty thick & heavy beard. Makes no sense to me.

I get 3 max before it's too rough on my skin. About the same as with any DE blade. Maybe you get 40 less stellar shaves but your skin can handle it?

As always, good preparation and lather affects the quality of the shave and blade longevity. Also if you don't shave everyday there is more likelihood of the cartridge clogging up and that leads to poor blade performance. Without knowing the background it is hard to make comparisons or reach a reasoned conclusion.

I shave every other day. I shower first, then use my Omega 10083 boar brush to apply any of my soaps/creams (Proraso, Arko, Williams, Stirling, Mike's). But at times I have resorted to shaving EVERY DAY and still get the same results.

Clogging up the cartridge? How? If you rinse the cartridge with running hot water after a couple of strokes, clog ups are not possible. I don't understand how this can happen and I've been shaving with carts for over 35 years.

My shaves are always stellar. I'm not kidding. I always get a BBS shave and almost always w/o a single nick and if I do get a nick it stops bleeding after I rinse and apply my AS. My post shave feel is always a 10 out of 10.

I shave every other day. I shower first, then use my Omega 10083 boar brush to apply any of my soaps/creams (Proraso, Arko, Williams, Stirling, Mike's). But at times I have resorted to shaving EVERY DAY and still get the same results.

Clogging up the cartridge? How? If you rinse the cartridge with running hot water after a couple of strokes, clog ups are not possible. I don't understand how this can happen and I've been shaving with carts for over 35 years.

My shaves are always stellar. I'm not kidding. I always get a BBS shave and almost always w/o a single nick and if I do get a nick it stops bleeding after I rinse and apply my AS. My post shave feel is always a 10 out of 10.
I'm not arguing with you, mmaggi. I've been wet shaving for 42 years, and had good success with most if not all of the Gillette cartridges, including the last one I used daily, the Fusion Proglide. But I stand by what I said above. However many shaves you can get from each cartridge (probably 20 in my case), ultimately the razors themselves clog and fail, especially if you do nothing but rinse them in hot water after each use. Some people here complain that chrome-plated zamak DE razors don't last long enough. Well, those razors are immortal compared to the semi-disposable Gillette Fusion Proglide. For many, that isn't a problem. But for some, it is.

If you used a brush, you would not be in this mess! :001_cool:
proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gillette will never, ever sell again a razor that uses .08¢ blades.

They're looking for a return to glory, but consumers are on to them. No new idiot innovation (razorball, etc.) is going to get their old Mach 3 money flowing again.

I think they simply have no one at the helm.

AA

Maybe they can try to incorporate spring loading into a DE blade, so you put use as much pressure as you want but the blade will back off if it's too much. Don't ask me how they'd do it. I'm not sure if the springs would be in the DE razor or in the new type of blade. Maybe someone would want to even buy it, but you'd need an expensive blade or razor to monetize.

I've moved to DE just for old times sake now that I've retired and because I like collecting gear and trying new things and now have more time to do so.

I was getting 25 to 30 excellent shaves from one Fusion 5 blade. And add to that my wife using the same shaver and cart for her legs a few times. Amazing performance and I wrote Gillette a Kudos letter on their product.

I think it would be great if Gillette opened up a Classic line of excellent DE products made with today's tech and material science.

dxr

Last edited:
Top Bottom