What's new

The most you've spent

After continuously browsing ebay, and the prices that go along with some razors, plus seeing some of the amazing razors people have here, I was just wondering what's the most you've spent on a razor? the most I've put out so far was almost $50 for a Fat Boy and that made me cringe. Seeing the prices of some of what is listed out there amazes me. I understand some pieces are collectibles and are in amazing shape but more often then not I get the feeling that they can be way overpriced.

the most i spent on an individual razor is a tie. $35 each for a fatboy and progress on the bst.

i take that back. i spent $37 on a straight on the bst the other day.:001_tt2:

Last edited:
I spent $68 on one cased Old Type, and it turned out to have a non-obvious defect. The seller returned my money, so my cost for the lesson was minimal.

The most that I spent permanently was $49.99 shipped for a sealed NOS Personna Injector with a 7 pack of blades included. Worth it to me, but not necessarily to someone else.

Most I spent permanently on a used razor, $30.02 on an excellent condition Fat Boy. Then I read about people finding them at thrift shops for $2. Oh well.

Two of my (3) Double Rings were a bit over $200 each. I think one was around $215 and the other $207? The third (no case) I bought in a lot with a Rocket and a case for a Bostonian. $160 for the lot. Found a DR case with a New in it a week or two before, went around $25 IIRC.

Others that went up a bit, New DeLuxe Big Boy was around $115, a few Big Fellows $80 to around $100 IIRC.

Best deal? (not that you asked, but...) Hard to say. Bought a lot early on with an excellent '47 Super Speed, a crusty (now nice) Big Fellow (New Improved), a New with most plating gone, a Micromatic (open comb) and a Star handle with Old Type head, lot was around $35. Then there was the 1910 Single Ring in a GEM case to $12.87 shipped (!) and the 1909 Single Ring in a travel case with blade holders and brush and soap holders (both empty) for $12.85 (plus shipping).

$75 on a British Gillette #58. The seller included a cake of Provence Santé Grean Tee soap so it was very well worth it.

Oh that's DE, of course.
Most spent on a single straight razor are 158 € (USD210).

Last edited:
I think I paid $150 for my President which is the most to date. Ask me in a week or so though. I've got my eye on a couple of nice razors that I reckon won't go too cheaply.

I spent $225 on this one...

$!BjDwUZw!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-EQEs8jJQvWEBLR8W0G79!~~_12.jpg:001_wub:

and $250 on this one...

View attachment 101023:001_tt1:

Overpriced? Probably.

Not a lot really i suppose loking at others, $50 on a straight and the rest seem to fall around $10-40 range.

$225 on a nice, cased 1905 Double Ring from a fellow member here off BST.

Beautiful razor and sought after but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to spend that much money. Although, I won't say I'd never do it as I can only buy so many $15-20 razors before I'll probably take the plunge and buy an unique piece that costs more then I'd want to tell SWMBO.

I spent $225 on this one...

View attachment 101022:001_wub:

and $250 on this one...

View attachment 101023:001_tt1:

Overpriced? Probably.
I don't think so either. At least not by much. If the DR isn't cased, it could sell for less (or, MORE!), but then... they are still rare and getting rarer. If the price was even a tad high now, holding onto it for even a few years should probably see the value go well beyond what you paid. Besides. it looks really nice, and if it was cased, I think the price was just right (and still going up!).

$375 for a nos Rhodium Executive complete with the three unopened blade packs and the shipper.

Len

Sounds like a bargain for that one :w00t:

I don't think I could ever spend as much as you guys do on razors, so I'll go with my best deal.

Cased Single Ring
Gotta 120 Straight
Cased Made in England New

$21 as a lot!

The Single Ring from the lot is the one on the right. No cracks and has the G in the D logo that I don't see too often. Not that it's rare.

I don't think so either. At least not by much. If the DR isn't cased, it could sell for less (or, MORE!), but then... they are still rare and getting rarer. If the price was even a tad high now, holding onto it for even a few years should probably see the value go well beyond what you paid. Besides. it looks really nice, and if it was cased, I think the price was just right (and still going up!).

Actually, I have 2 cases for DR's. I need to find another DR for the second case!:w00t:

Since it's public record:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1932504&postcount=106

The black cased one is mine. #16 in Rhodium :001_tt1:

This seems to me to be the height of my ambition. $200 is close to my 'what the hell am I doing?!?" point.

Though I wonder if I ever have a shot at a nice double ring, I really wonder what I will do. I'm really trying to stay with nice shavers, but I'm wandering along the sidelines of the nice collector side of the field.

:ohmy:

-jim

Beautiful razor and sought after but I don't know if I could ever bring myself to spend that much money. Although, I won't say I'd never do it as I can only buy so many $15-20 razors before I'll probably take the plunge and buy an unique piece that costs more then I'd want to tell SWMBO.

This was actually my Christmas present from my wife, so there was buy-in. :wink2:

Top Bottom