What's new

The most important aspect of a great shave

You possess a lot of shaving wisdom for a new guy.

Ah, you are far too kind!

Lots of YouTube videos watched, lurking and researching on here, and a lot of trial and error. Looking back at my first shave, along with my routine (If you can even call it that), is extremely cringeworthy knowing everything that I do now.

My technique is shaming all you plebs with inferior technique. It's perfect.

+1 My technique is so good, barbers change professions when they see my clean shaven mug. To answer the question though, logic dictates that a great shave be categorized in order as follows:

1) Blade
2) Razor
3) Soap/prep/brush/voodoo magic

It’s hard to deny that the thing doing the cutting is the most important part of your shave. The razor is slightly less important because it merely holds the thing doing the cutting but can influence it positively or negatively. Everything else is open for debate. Personally i think a good soap/cream would be next but prep seems to be all important for a lot of guys here. But to say the blade and razor aren’t 1 and 2 is just ignoring what shaving actually is. Someone posted something along the lines of “try keeping your prep the same, using the top artisan soap of choice and using a piece of sharp glass to shave.” I think that about says it all.

For me, the ‘most important aspect of a great shave’ is having sufficient time to enjoy all the other elements (razor, brush, blade, software). All must conspire together to promote a truly great shave.
I agree proper time is key to me as well. If I, for whatever reason, feel even the slightest bit rushed, that’s where I’ll make an error somewhere in my routine. I really do savor the hour or so that I dedicate to a good shower and shave.

Top Bottom