What's new

The Ham Shack - B&B's Amateur Radio Club

Congratulations Iwas told by a couple of people in the area that I was too stupid to program an Icom HT. The person that said that was a Technician class. To this day he still is only a technician. I went on to earn my, Extra Class License and then became a VE Team Leader. I no longer do the testing due to health problems and I sure miss doing it. 73 de W6PEA

Hi,

Goodness! That's pretty bad. On his part. That said, I do know folks who can't troubleshoot a flashlight, but none of those are hams. :p

I worked on a lot of products over the years, but the only ham radio one was the Ericsson MPA that flew on the Shuttle and, more recently, the ISS. They just retired it again for what I think in the third time. The other replacements would fail and the old MPA would come out of storage.

I rewrote the operating code to meet NASA and ham needs, but there are limits to what the hardware can do. The MPA is an analog and digital unit, but the digital part is for a protocol which is pretty old. So, they really needed an upgrade. I hope the new radios do well and the poor old MPAs can stay in retirement.

That said, I use MPAs (2m, 222, 440 and 900) on a daily basis still. They make for mobile units in the vehicular chargers with a PA added. :)

Stan

Hi,

Has it been a year already? Gee....

Update time:

In March, I was chatting with a local VE team leader about the dearth of testing venues. My wife (now K4PKD) and I have a small space left over from our business which could be pressed into emergency service to allow six cadidates to test and keep their social distance. And, space for four VEs to be in there as well. That's our keeping with 10 total under the NC guidelines.

We ran a test test in March and it worked out as well as we could have hoped. So, beginning the first Saturday in June we offered up test sessions. We decided on four per hour as that leaves two tables open for anyone that wishes to take the next test. We do get a few coming for Tech and passing and wishing to try General.

In July, our Team Leader made me one of his VEs since I was going to be there anyway. That prompted me to test for Extra. I had to do a few days of studying as there are things in the Ham world that do not translate directly into my Professional world. But, in the end, I made it OK and am now doing a job I had never intended to do: Be an Examiner.

And, we have expanded our testing to two and, sometimes, even three times a month. We're the only VE team running in-person exams in the area. And, the news of the upcoming return of FCC fees has caused an even greater interest.

As of last Saturday, we've had 80 Applications for 120 elements. 42 new Techs, 22 new Generals and 7 new Extras. And, we have 20 applicants for this coming Saturday scheduled at this point.

Finally, I am entering the 'mine field' of trying to obtain a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign. What a mess that is. My initiation showed me that everyone goes for every such call that becomes available. I am going to try just for area 2 and 4, so I might be at it for some time. Personally, I don't care what it is, as in my old days they were more-or-less assigned. Oh, one could send in a list for a dozen calls in the late 70s, but if none were available the FCC just chucked the next one they did have your way.

That is, until someone in Gettysburg was discovered to be taking dough for callsigns. That ended the recycling of callsigns and Extras having somewhat of a choice and it all went to assigned for a while. Until the advent of the current Vanity system. Anyway, I did a little Old Callbook research and if I had gone for Extra back when I had been thinking of it (after getting my 1st Class Commercial but before my Radar Endorsement), I'd have been assigned a 2x1 around the KI2x point.

I wonder if I'll wind up being 'yelled at' on the air for whatever call I wind up with the way I was in 1977 with the call I was assigned then (wa2kqy). That one was owned by a ham in NYC before he let it expire and the FCC tossed it into my lap. I was accused of being a Faker as some folks didn't know that the original holder had lost it (but they did know it was his). Well, probably not. Lots of recycling of 1x2 and 2x1 calls these days.

Oh, a word on that leftover space. Before we were married, my wife lived there. The front building was her house, which still exists. Out back was her screenprinting shop. After we were married, we bought a small farm and sold my house. She converted hers into the front offices and art studio and expanded the equipment out back. Three years ago, the shop burned and we then moved into a commercial space. That left the old house for use with her quilting group and for her giving art classes to local crafters.

And, now for me to use for VE testing. :)

73s

Stan - wa2kqy

Last edited:
Hi,

I just had another thought regarding callsigns. Callsign Hoarding. I see where this happens.

What does that mean? Some folks go for every 1x2 and 2x1 that comes up even though they already have one. This, to keep the Old School calls out of the hand of no-code Extras as they can. Not for the object of getting a better call. And, since the FCC system is automated, they don't notice (even if they cared).

I have rethought about the FCC fee. I now think that might curb this. Every application would require a separate fee. Oh, if one doesn't get a call for any given application, the money would be returned. But, since only a few, oftentimes just one, calls come up on a given day, there need be many applications submitted. And, the FCC takes 18 days to decide who gets a callsign. And, how soon will they refund money? Another 18 days? :p

So, I can see where one might have a few hundred dollars tied up at one time doing this. Maybe that will curb things some.

73s

Stan - wa2kqy

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hi,

I just had another thought regarding callsigns. Callsign Hoarding. I see where this happens.

What does that mean? Some folks go for every 1x2 and 2x1 that comes up even though they already have one. This, to keep the Old School calls out of the hand of no-code Extras as they can. Not for the object of getting a better call. And, since the FCC system is automated, they don't notice (even if they cared).

I have rethought about the FCC fee. I now think that might curb this. Every application would require a separate fee. Oh, if one doesn't get a call for any given application, the money would be returned. But, since only a few, oftentimes just one, calls come up on a given day, there need be many applications submitted. And, the FCC takes 18 days to decide who gets a callsign. And, how soon will they refund money? Another 18 days? :p

So, I can see where one might have a few hundred dollars tied up at one time doing this. Maybe that will curb things some.

73s

Stan - wa2kqy
This whole code/no code thing is part of why I am not even on the radio much.

Cell phones are the other reason.

The old farts weren't welcoming to the new guys, and now those same guys are mad at the fact that the air waves are a wasteland compared to the 50's and 60's.

Hams eat their own. We deserve to lose bands.

Hi,

It has changed again. The 'new guys' have taken over. There are 832k US hams today compared to 290k when I came in. The greatest number ever. I, myself, helped to make a dozen new ones last Saturday. We have 20 scheduled for this Saturday and only two are upgrades. More new guys! :)

Using the Way Back Machine, I was part of a small group of 1970s hams who put up some 220 MHz repeaters on nice mountain tops. When the No Code Tech came out, new guys were being kicked off of the 2m repeaters on the same mountain tops by the old guys. Except us particular old guys. We just invited the new guys to 220. So, not all old guys were PIAs. ;)

I will now point out that the original code requirement for the first Dept Of Commerce (pre FCC) licence was 5 WPM and there was only one class of licence. Over the decades, the classes of licence and requirements were always changing. And, they will change again. and, none of it really matters in the long run.

And, code. It was the beginning, as in all there was. Spark Gap. But, spark gap died and Continuous Wave took over. And then that wave was modulated. In the tube radio days, modulator tubes liked to crap out. When that happened, one could carry on with the carrier and the key. But, transistors fixed that and so code was not as necessary as it was. We all knew it would eventually drop from the requirements.

I still use CW, and at a slow rate with a straight key (the same one my uncle gave me in the beginning) at the bottom end of the old Novice frequencies. Why? So new guys who wish can have someone to talk to who won't machine gun them with a keyer. :) I call it Low and Slow.

As far as spectrum goes, that has always changed over time as well. Hams have always had the 'lousy' spectrum. And when other users desire the now 'prime' spectrum the hams lose it to then be given other 'lousy' spectrum. Personally, I am waiting for the swap of 420-440 MHz for 30-50 MHz. That has been an on-and-off idea within the FCC for many years now.

The only reason the wireless providers haven't grabbed all our UHF and up spectrum already is we don't have enough bandspace up there to interest them. The TV bands are much better suited to their needs. ;)

73's - Stan

FarmerTan

Hi,

It has changed again. The 'new guys' have taken over. There are 832k US hams today compared to 290k when I came in. The greatest number ever. I, myself, helped to make a dozen new ones last Saturday. We have 20 scheduled for this Saturday and only two are upgrades. More new guys! :)

Using the Way Back Machine, I was part of a small group of 1970s hams who put up some 220 MHz repeaters on nice mountain tops. When the No Code Tech came out, new guys were being kicked off of the 2m repeaters on the same mountain tops by the old guys. Except us particular old guys. We just invited the new guys to 220. So, not all old guys were PIAs. ;)

I will now point out that the original code requirement for the first Dept Of Commerce (pre FCC) licence was 5 WPM and there was only one class of licence. Over the decades, the classes of licence and requirements were always changing. And, they will change again. and, none of it really matters in the long run.

And, code. It was the beginning, as in all there was. Spark Gap. But, spark gap died and Continuous Wave took over. And then that wave was modulated. In the tube radio days, modulator tubes liked to crap out. When that happened, one could carry on with the carrier and the key. But, transistors fixed that and so code was not as necessary as it was. We all knew it would eventually drop from the requirements.

I still use CW, and at a slow rate with a straight key (the same one my uncle gave me in the beginning) at the bottom end of the old Novice frequencies. Why? So new guys who wish can have someone to talk to who won't machine gun them with a keyer. :) I call it Low and Slow.

As far as spectrum goes, that has always changed over time as well. Hams have always had the 'lousy' spectrum. And when other users desire the now 'prime' spectrum the hams lose it to then be given other 'lousy' spectrum. Personally, I am waiting for the swap of 420-440 MHz for 30-50 MHz. That has been an on-and-off idea within the FCC for many years now.

The only reason the wireless providers haven't grabbed all our UHF and up spectrum already is we don't have enough bandspace up there to interest them. The TV bands are much better suited to their needs. ;)

73's - Stan
PERFECTLY explained my friend. YOU are an accommodating soul, with a servant's heart.

Hi,

Well, giving back. I began my electronics career with ham radio. If it could get me started, who else might it get started? And, if we look at the history of electronics, so many of the pioneers were hams. And, we never know just who it is that gets the bug (a CW pun there, and I'm not sorry) winds up going on to make good things for us all. :)

I'm just one of many over the entire history.

And, this latest. Wasn't my idea, actually. There were plenty of VEs out there - until there weren't. I could help out, and so I did.

73s-Stan

Hi,

So, we have passed the One Year mark for the Banks Road Testing Club, as our Team Leader has dubbed it. And well over 100 new hams and a bushel basket full of upgrades. Some of which have taken all three tests in the modest digs of the BRTC. Not bad for a stopgap measure.

The old screenprinting shop conference room / showroom is where they test. Up to six total. And the VEs are in the other half, which was the business office. The two spaces are open to each other, so the VEs have no trouble proctoring as well as grading and managing the sessions. It's almost like we designed and built the space for this, even though it is just us making do with what we have.

And, a fairly large number of those folks are interested in seeing us continue at this location. This, as opposed to returning to fire stations and fellowship halls. I suppose the fact everyone knows we will be there the first Saturday of every month has a lot to do with that. And, now also the third Thursday of every month for those who need a middle of the week day. Plus, all days of the week could be open if someone were to need such and we had a couple weeks notice.

There is a desire for us to install what could be termed a club station. Mainly the idea of an HF setup so our new hams could come out and get exposed to that. Give the new Techs a desire to upgrade to General and new Generals some idea of what they might want to install in their own stations. In the usual tradition, some of us have older rigs we could use - I have a spare Kenwood TS430s in addition to even older tube stuff - but I am thinking about getting one of the new entry level rigs from Icom or Kenwood or Yaesu.

I can see where the older gear can teach OK, but then the experience might not translate well to what they can buy new. And, buying old stuff is a minefield if one isn't steeped in the knowledge, and equipped, to troubleshoot and repair it. Anyway, we have the space which was my wife's office to use for a shack and so we will probably do it in the near future.

73 - Stan

FarmerTan

Hi,

So, we have passed the One Year mark for the Banks Road Testing Club, as our Team Leader has dubbed it. And well over 100 new hams and a bushel basket full of upgrades. Some of which have taken all three tests in the modest digs of the BRTC. Not bad for a stopgap measure.

The old screenprinting shop conference room / showroom is where they test. Up to six total. And the VEs are in the other half, which was the business office. The two spaces are open to each other, so the VEs have no trouble proctoring as well as grading and managing the sessions. It's almost like we designed and built the space for this, even though it is just us making do with what we have.

And, a fairly large number of those folks are interested in seeing us continue at this location. This, as opposed to returning to fire stations and fellowship halls. I suppose the fact everyone knows we will be there the first Saturday of every month has a lot to do with that. And, now also the third Thursday of every month for those who need a middle of the week day. Plus, all days of the week could be open if someone were to need such and we had a couple weeks notice.

There is a desire for us to install what could be termed a club station. Mainly the idea of an HF setup so our new hams could come out and get exposed to that. Give the new Techs a desire to upgrade to General and new Generals some idea of what they might want to install in their own stations. In the usual tradition, some of us have older rigs we could use - I have a spare Kenwood TS430s in addition to even older tube stuff - but I am thinking about getting one of the new entry level rigs from Icom or Kenwood or Yaesu.

I can see where the older gear can teach OK, but then the experience might not translate well to what they can buy new. And, buying old stuff is a minefield if one isn't steeped in the knowledge, and equipped, to troubleshoot and repair it. Anyway, we have the space which was my wife's office to use for a shack and so we will probably do it in the near future.

73 - Stan
It's funny that I stumbled upon your news!

I have been SO LAZY about radio lately. But.... Just the other day I got a bee in my bonnet and decided I was going to look into upgrading to General class.....I didn't have a REAL hard time with being a Tech level, and then I think I became a technician plus? Either way, I do not believe I have ANY real HF privileges....so- how hard is it going to be for this almost 59 year old ham to upgrade?

By the way: it sounds like you folks have an AWESOME set up. I have not been busy in any Emergency radio meetings, etc, in 20 years, and REALLY do miss it. The inside politics stuff got old; I felt like I'd been thrown back into Junior High Skool. But you folks must be doing it right! 100 new hams?!? You're going to have some BUSY Elmer's!

Hi,

Tech Plus? That would mean you had passed the General written back in the day when doing that with your Novice code equaled Technician. All you need for General is a copy of your original Tech license showing a grant date prior to the advent of the No Code Tech (which came with a simplified written test). It is just a matter of applying for upgrade.

73 - Stan

FarmerTan

Hi,

Tech Plus? That would mean you had passed the General written back in the day when doing that with your Novice code equaled Technician. All you need for General is a copy of your original Tech license showing a grant date prior to the advent of the No Code Tech (which came with a simplified written test). It is just a matter of applying for upgrade.

73 - Stan
Really? That seems to easy to me.

Hi,

So, I woke up to a surprise yesterday morning. I am now W2CK. :)

I had been trying to get a 1x2 or 2x1 in 4-land since January. But, a tough row to hoe there as I was competing with 40-60 others for each one that came up. Eventually, I'd get one, I suppose. But when I looked at 2-land applications I was seeing far fewer applicants for each callsign. I've had WA2KQY since January 1977, so keeping with a 2-land call would be fine by me. And so I began applying for 2 calls along with the 4 ones.

Some folks want a 1x2 or 2x1 enough to apply for all that become available in all the call districts. I wasn't in that much of a hurry. ;)

I didn't get the FCC email until mid afternoon. I found out because two more callsigns were becoming available yesterday and so I logged onto the ULS to apply and - there it was. I was now W2CK as of some wee hour yesterday morning when the batch processing ran.

On top of that, yesterday was a picnic for all our local hams regardless of whichever club one was in. Just bring a side item and we were supplying burgers and hot dogs. It was a really great time. We were at KM4TC's farm which is more central than my farm to the bulk of the local ham population. We couldn't use any of the parks around as they are still not allowing any gatherings. But, the farm idea makes for a nicer venue anyway.

So, I used a label maker and put the new call onto my old badge and waited for folks to notice. :)

Ironically, Friday night I checked into a local VHF net which is unusual for me. That was my last use of my old call. So, last night I checked into the same net with the new call. I probably won't check in again for a week now. That's my usual net check-in rate. Once a week. :p

73 - Stan - W2CK

ps - since I didn't use the entire callsign as my username here, I can keep it as-is. ;)

Hi,

So, I woke up to a surprise yesterday morning. I am now W2CK. :)

I had been trying to get a 1x2 or 2x1 in 4-land since January. But, a tough row to hoe there as I was competing with 40-60 others for each one that came up. Eventually, I'd get one, I suppose. But when I looked at 2-land applications I was seeing far fewer applicants for each callsign. I've had WA2KQY since January 1977, so keeping with a 2-land call would be fine by me. And so I began applying for 2 calls along with the 4 ones.

Some folks want a 1x2 or 2x1 enough to apply for all that become available in all the call districts. I wasn't in that much of a hurry. ;)

I didn't get the FCC email until mid afternoon. I found out because two more callsigns were becoming available yesterday and so I logged onto the ULS to apply and - there it was. I was now W2CK as of some wee hour yesterday morning when the batch processing ran.

On top of that, yesterday was a picnic for all our local hams regardless of whichever club one was in. Just bring a side item and we were supplying burgers and hot dogs. It was a really great time. We were at KM4TC's farm which is more central than my farm to the bulk of the local ham population. We couldn't use any of the parks around as they are still not allowing any gatherings. But, the farm idea makes for a nicer venue anyway.

So, I used a label maker and put the new call onto my old badge and waited for folks to notice. :)

Ironically, Friday night I checked into a local VHF net which is unusual for me. That was my last use of my old call. So, last night I checked into the same net with the new call. I probably won't check in again for a week now. That's my usual net check-in rate. Once a week. :p

73 - Stan - W2CK

ps - since I didn't use the entire callsign as my username here, I can keep it as-is. ;)

Congrats on the new call!
Orb
de WK0DX

Hi,

Ha! I like it! You can tell people, oops! I said that backwards and then repeat it. Confuse them even more!

When I don't need to say mine officially, I revert back to the original form as issued by the Dept Of Commeerce in 1912: 2CK. Just leave the W off. :p Most folks don't know the history of ham radio and callsigns so they don't know that the original 9 call districts predated the international prefixes.

----

Change of subject somewhat:

Hey, anyone want a 2x1 sooner rather than later?

WS2L

This is a weird one. It was Terminated by the FCC 6/18/2019. As such, it became available 6/19/2021. But it isn't showing up in any of the availability lists out there. I think the Terminated status is confusing the sites that mine the FCC database to help folks figure out what and when to apply for 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns.

What we need is a volunteer to apply for it and see how it processes out 17 or so days later.

Any Extra class in any district can apply.

The ULS shows it as cancelled and available even though it still lists the original expiration date of 1/20/2029. I think that's why the other sites don't show it.

I'd give it a shot if I hadn't already won W2CK.

73 - Stan

Hi,

So, I'm back. I just updated my ham shack. I picked up a Kenwood TS 850s from a ham friend. This replaces my TS 430s, which moves into the secondary position. Mostly for diversity receive on a longwire antenna. My older Icom IC-740 is now a spare.

I now have one radio in the shack which was produced in this century. :p

I also resurrected a Nye Master Key. It was missing the little pin that passes thru the base to the leaf switch inside the base. Yeah, this style doesn't sport open contacts. It also had an incorrect spring. So, I made a copy of the one on my Speed-X in my machine shop along with making a pin for the contacts out of a longer pin I had in the toolbox. Now I no longer have to move a key back and forth.

73 - Stan - w2ck

Hi,

We had the first real hamfest in this area for way too long yesterday. Lots of turnout. And, we offered exams and had 21 takers. Most went home with what they came for and a few went home with more than they thought they would. Meaning passed General after passing Technician and passing Extra after passing General.

Nice!

But there was one more: What we call the Trifecta! Passed all three in one session. Came in an non-ham and went home an Extra.

Super Nice! I love when that happens!

Stan - w2ck

Top Bottom