What's new

The 'C' Word

Don't think I've ever heard the phrase 'c*t t*r**t' used to describe a straight, on this board, or any other. Is it bad ju-ju, or something?

i've seen it here and there. as far as i can tell, it's more common in america to call them straights. you'll see the other moniker over in england.

ive used it myself. i do believe. i know i use that term and pretty sure i have used it on this forum also. see cut-throat......

It sounds so brutal :001_huh: Everyone I have spoken to here calls them cut throats, I don't like to use it though, straights sound much more civilized

Don't think I've ever heard the phrase 'c*t t*r**t' used to describe a straight, on this board, or any other. Is it bad ju-ju, or something?

I always thought the casual use of "cut throat" was a bit of put on macho or false bravado.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure juat what "straight razor" is supposed t mean. "Straight" as opposed to what, "crooked?"

EDIT: Did they call them anything besides simply "razors" before there were safety razors?

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with calling them 'Cut Throat Razors' that I can see.

The first time I used one it had a spike point which I then proceeded to poke into my face. By the time I was done shaving, I looked like i'd tried to lather up with a live badger.

Most people call them that these days so why not use the words? If I tell somebody I use a straight razor they just look at me blank. When I tell them I use a Straight Razor they just think I'm mad and walk away shaking their heads :lol:

Nothing wrong with calling them 'Cut Throat Razors' that I can see.
Most people call them that these days so why not use the words?

Google for "straight razor" gives: About 487,000 results
Google for "cut throat razor" gives: About 29,900 results

That's over 16 to 1 in favor of calling them "straight razors". At least among the on-line community. I suppose there could be pockets of Quakers that aren't getting counted. :biggrin1:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I always thought the casual use of "cut throat" was a bit of put on macho or false bravado.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure juat what "straight razor" is supposed t mean. "Straight" as opposed to what, "crooked?"

EDIT: Did they call them anything besides simply "razors" before there were safety razors?

I have read quite a few first person articles from the late 1800's and in every one where shaving is mentioned they just say "razor".

Most of the people I have talked to do not understand unless you call them Sweeney's and make a reference to it, but yeah once they know they call them CT's

There may be gay men in society who have concerns that these razors are to be referred to as 'straight'? :) That may cause them to disown these particular razors & start picking safety razors instead - which nobody refers to as 'straight' safety razors!? Are the blades any less straight compared to their previous choice??? :p I don't care what these blades are called. So long as they're sharp & do the job they were intended for! What concerns me more than anything is, who actually makes the sharpest blades? Somebody must have some specs on these blades???

Last edited:
I want to know once & for all - who actually does make the sharpest DE blades??? I want to know... I demand to know? :) I want the keenest, thinnest, sharpest more death-defying man made double-edged blade! Like a child finding the magical Golden ticket of razor blades in a Willy Wonker razor blade film... 'I WANT ONE! WHERE IS IT? IT'S NOT FAIR... I WANT IT KNOW!!!' But alas, like all fairy tales - it just never happens. We've read that Feather make a really sharp blade - but who makes better? Does it get to the point where any thinner & it wouldn't be useable because it would flex far to much? Like a Japanese sword, it needs both strength & flexibility. How thin can they go!? :p

Top Bottom