What's new

The Airlines Do It Again!

I just got back from ordering lunch at the Campus cafeteria and the news channel had a story about how both United and Delta will be implementing a new volumetric and weight based fare system.

According to the report, when passengers show up at the terminal, and present their ticket to an agent, they will be asked to go through a special scanner which will calculate the volume the individual takes, and with a built in digital scale, their weight.

Passengers who weigh over 150 lbs will be subject to a progressive "Fuel Weight Surcharge" which may vary depending on the price of jet fuel, but should never be more than $2/lb

Passengers, who likewise take up more than 7000 cubic inches of space will also be subject to another progressive scale which could result in as much as double the original ticket price.

According to an airline spokesman, there is no reason why fit people should have to carry the burden of paying to jet "hefty, oversized" passengers who "continuously ooze" into their private spaces any longer.

Would never happen. With the obesity epidemic in this country, it would kill their ability to compete on price. Never ever happen

An airline serving the S. Pacific (Samoa Air) already has this policy in place.

http://www.samoaair.ws/

It is not an April fool. It is something that more than likely will come about. The fuel load (and subsequently the fuel cost) is determined by the weight of the aircraft, passengers, and cargo.

Back when passenger aircraft had those spinning things on the wings all passengers and cargo were weighed before flight and the fuel load was calculated. With the advent of Jet aircraft they just stuffed in enough fuel, then a little more and gave up weighing everything

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This may be an April Fools prank, but if it is, it hits mighty close to the mark on what many airlines are considering.
Checked baggage is the only weight that is calculated. Passengers and carry ons are estimated, and the "estimates" are not frequently updated.
This is why the airlines should check bags free and charge for carry on.

I heard about this a few days ago, so I doubt it's a prank/joke. My only problem is with setting a weight and then essentially classifying anyone over that number as "hefty" and "oversized." There's a big difference between someone who is 5'5 and weighs 200 vs. someone who is 6'3 and weighs in at the same. My understanding of the Samoa Air policy is that they charge everyone based on luggage and body weight combined, which I think is probably a more fair way of doing it. Still, I don't think this idea will fly in the US.

It is most definitely an April 1[SUP]st[/SUP] joke, however…..
I flew on small puddle-jumper (Twin Beech) in Costa Rica. We had to weigh-in with our luggage in hand.

Here is an article from last week.

http://news.msn.com/us/airline-fares-pay-according-to-your-weight

It was a Norwegian economist who put forward the idea and Somoa air picked up on it right away. It is just now getting press in the US.

I think it would be a good idea if the cost of air travel could be lowered by not having to carry additional fuel because they do not know the weight load of the aircraft. They always load a reserve for contingencies (head wind, heavy traffic and delays in take off landing) but now they have to load several more tons of fuel because they do not know what they will use because they do not know the weight that they have to lift and transport.

I would get charged more but it may end up being less based on the lower fuel cost

Yes, it is an April Fool's prank. I think I should get some credit for writing great copy. :)

Here's another: $561203_636970569188_1772554336_n.jpg

The Mini Portable Black Hole Garbage Disposal Units sold like hot cakes!

I once had a bag declared "overweight", and right there in front of the agent I took out my heavy hiking boots and a large book, put on boots, held book, and bag reweighed "Okay". Now, the bag and I still weighed the same together, but somehow it was alright if the weight was all on me???

I know this was a joke, but it will eventually happen. I just hope they set the mark above 150 pounds. I do not know any men that weigh that little. If you are 6' or taller, I do not think it is even possible getting down to 150 without looking like nothing but skin and bones. As someone who has had to sit next to some pretty big people on airplanes, I would support this. I understand many people struggle with weight because of medical issues, but it is very difficult to sit next to someone who not only takes up their entire seat, but half of yours as well. This is even worse when the flight takes 10+ hours.

Joke or not, this sounds good to me. Fat people will be outraged, but its sadly common for people to believe they have no responsibility for themselves. It seems far more fair to may than distributing the additional cost to carry those who are overweight between all passengers. I disagree with the notion of socializing costs. Let each carry (or pay) their own weight.

Joke or not, this sounds good to me. Fat people will be outraged, but its sadly common for people to believe they have no responsibility for themselves. It seems far more fair to may than distributing the additional cost to carry those who are overweight between all passengers. I disagree with the notion of socializing costs. Let each carry (or pay) their own weight.

Though, I am 6’5 with a big frame. I am currently slim at 230 pounds. The moment an airline tries to charge me more money for weighing more than a 14 year old ballerina, I am going to start demanding that I also get more for my money. If I am going to be charged for having a bigger frame, I should be provided a seat that reflects that extra charge.

Similarly, would pregnant woman have to pay more just because they are pregnant?

The idea of making very overweight people pay more for a flight is somewhat appealing, but in reality it can’t be implemented in a fair way.

Though, I am 6’5 with a big frame. I am currently slim at 230 pounds. The moment an airline tries to charge me more money for weighing more than a 14 year old ballerina, I am going to start demanding that I also get more for my money. If I am going to be charged for having a bigger frame, I should be provided a seat that reflects that extra charge.

Similarly, would pregnant woman have to pay more just because they are pregnant?

The idea of making very overweight people pay more for a flight is somewhat appealing, but in reality it can’t be implemented in a fair way.

All very fair points. Thank you. I'd be curious to know if there are provisions in place for such circumstances and more specific information on how their scanner thing would work.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
April Fool's post?

... check.

It's coming anyhow?

... check.

All the best April Fool pranks work because they are plausible and are something we'd expect (in a "God I hope that never happens" sort of way.)

I've actually considered this, usually while waiting in line at an airport. But I'd take it one step further ... group weigh-in. If a family is travelling together, then they'd all get on the scale together, with their luggage (checked and carry-on). If they are over the "expected standard" of (I pick a number out of the air here totally at random) 200 pounds per person, then they pay a "weight surcharge". It matters not whether it's because Dad is 350 pounds of pancake-loving goodness, or because skinny Mum decided to fill her suitcase with lead ingots.

It can get even more interesting, if you move this consideration to the ticket-buying stage. Go to the airline website, enter your destination and date of departure. Enter your weight. Enter the estimated weight of your baggage. Enter the weights and estimated baggage weights of those in your party. Bingo, you get a ticket price based on your "total travel weight to fuel consumption ratio thingy". You show up at the airport and if you "make weight" you get on the plane. IF you don't make weight, you have to pay extra.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Who cares if they're charging fat people more to ride on planes. Why are we still using them anyways? I'm outraged that we still don't have personal intergalactic teleporters. It's 2013 for crying out loud. This isn't the future I was promised.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Girth

I don't care whether someone weighs 250 lbs because they are a body builder, or 250 lbs because the only muscle they have is in the arm that lifts the Twinkies.
What I care about is people not overflowing into my seat, and not bringing footlockers as carry on luggage.

Top Bottom