What's new

TGN vs Whipped Dog silvertip

I know about the price differences between the knots...regardless...
To those who have used both, which is better, Whipped Dog silvertip or a TGN Grade A Silvertip? And why, out of curiosity?

I like both but I love the Grade A from TGN. You cant beat the whippeddog for the price. The Grade A is more dense and if you want soft tips that is the way to go

Below is a repeat from a previous post of mine, but my opinion still stands:

I have a 24mm Whipped Dog Silvertip and a 20mm TGN Silvertip Grade A. Due to the size differences, it's not quite a head-to-head comparison, but here are my findings:

- TGN has more backbone.
- The WD has softer tips and feels more luxurious to me (also party due to its size relative to the TGN).
- I've lathered hard soaps (Tabac, MWF) and creams with both brushes. They both perform very well.

Both knots perform very well, and both vendors are top notch--great communication and fast shipping.

In the end, I prefer the WD (especially the price). I face lather with the WD almost everyday, and I really love how it feels on my face.

I don't have a lot of experience with Whipped Dog knots but my take on it is, the Whipped Dog is less dense and the hairs seem finer. It has sufficient backbone and has a very luxurious feel to it. The Grade A has more backbone, more density and a different feel, maybe solid is the word I'm looking for. They feel good on the face but I would not consider them luxurious. Remember, I set the loft on these and a few mm one way or the other could change the feel of these brushes. I have a 22mm and a 24mm in Grade A that are great brushes. The loft on the Whipped Dog below is 2/3mm higher than the Grade A. Whipped Dog left, Grade A right. I will say I prefer the Whipped Dog (the WD has zero scritch and is soft) to the TGN Silver Tip and Super Badger. It's hard to find fault with the Grade A's and 2band Finest. Both brushes below are 30mm.

picture hosting

picture hosting
photo sharing websites

Last edited:
$DSCN4524.jpg
$DSCN4525.jpg

Left is the whippeddog

I don't have a lot of experience with Whipped Dog knots but my take on it is, the Whipped Dog is less dense and the hairs seem finer. It has sufficient backbone and has a very luxurious feel to it. The Grade A has more backbone, more density and a different feel, maybe solid is the word I'm looking for. They feel good on the face but I would not consider them luxurious. Remember, I set the loft on these and a few mm one way or the other could change the feel of these brushes. I have a 22mm and a 24mm in Grade A that are great brushes. The loft on the Whipped Dog below is 2/3mm higher than the Grade A. Whipped Dog left, Grade A right. I will say I prefer the Whipped Dog (the WD has zero scritch and is soft) to the TGN Silver Tip and Super Badger. It's hard to find fault with the Grade A's and 2band Finest. Both brushes below are 30mm.

picture hosting

picture hosting
photo sharing websites
these are some sweet brushes

Below is a repeat from a previous post of mine, but my opinion still stands:

I have a 24mm Whipped Dog Silvertip and a 20mm TGN Silvertip Grade A. Due to the size differences, it's not quite a head-to-head comparison, but here are my findings:

- TGN has more backbone.
- The WD has softer tips and feels more luxurious to me (also party due to its size relative to the TGN).
- I've lathered hard soaps (Tabac, MWF) and creams with both brushes. They both perform very well.

Both knots perform very well, and both vendors are top notch--great communication and fast shipping.

In the end, I prefer the WD (especially the price). I face lather with the WD almost everyday, and I really love how it feels on my face.

O the Whipped Dog did you set the knot at 10mm or 20?

Curiosity got the best of me in this matter so I did a head to head comparison of TGN Grade A Silvertip, TGN Super Badger and Whipped Dogs Silvertip knots. I'm going to keep it short and sweet. You will notice I set my knots deep. That is my preference and different lofts would undoubtedly change some of my findings.

The contestants are a 20mm TGN Grade A silver tip set at 43mm. A 20mm Whipped Dog Silvertip set at 43mm. A 22mm TGN Grade A silvertip set at 45mm. A 22mm TGN Super Badger set at 44mm. A 22mm Whipped Dog Silvertip set at 45mm. A 24mm TGN Super Badger set at 45mm. A 24mm Whipped Dog Silvertip set at 45mm. And finally a 24mm TGN Grade A Silvertip set at 45mm.

$026 (1280x960).jpg

I rated each knot on backbone, density, softness of the tips, and face feel.

On backbone the Grade A Silvertip has the most at 22mm, but at 24mm, and 20mm the Whipped Dog has a tad bit more. The Super Badger had the least amount of backbone at all the knot diameters.

For density the TGN Grade A and Whipped Dog in 20mm were a dead heat, no winner. At 22mm The TGN Grade A has the most, followed closely by Whipped Dog, and the TGN Super Badger had considerably less density to both. At 24mm The Whipped Dog had the most density, followed closely by TGN Grade A, and TGN Super Badger was once again considerably less dense.

Now on Softness of the tips Whipped Dog had the softest tips, hands down, throughout all knot diameters. TGN Super Badger was next in line, followed by TGN Grade A.

Face feel is a very YMMV thing but for me Whipped Dog probably wins in this department. Followed very closely by TGN Grade A Silvertip, and then bringing up the rear TGN Super Badger. I like good backbone with very soft tips. If you like good backbone with a touch more scrub, TGN Grade A would probably be your pic. If you like soft tips and are willing to sacrifice backbone TGN Super Badger would be your friend.

Bottom line you can't go wrong with any of these knots. My least favorite is TGN Super Badger, only because backbone is really lacking for me. YMMV. I would call Whipped Dog Silvertip and TGN Grade A a tie. I just can't choose I love them both.

Side note if you like a spongy, strong backbone, with soft, scrubby tips TGN finest is a great knot that wasn't in my comparison. I like TGN finest but I'm not a huge fan of the spongy feel. Give me TGN Grade A or a Whipped Dog.

I hope this helps some of you trying to decide which knot to get.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, nice comparison bro. :thumbup:
Curiosity got the best of me in this matter so I did a head to head comparison of TGN Grade A Silvertip, TGN Super Badger and Whipped Dogs Silvertip knots. I'm going to keep it short and sweet. You will notice I set my knots deep. That is my preference and different lofts would undoubtedly change some of my findings.

The contestants are a 20mm TGN Grade A silver tip set at 43mm. A 20mm Whipped Dog Silvertip set at 43mm. A 22mm TGN Grade A silvertip set at 45mm. A 22mm TGN Super Badger set at 44mm. A 22mm Whipped Dog Silvertip set at 45mm. A 24mm TGN Super Badger set at 45mm. A 24mm Whipped Dog Silvertip set at 45mm. And finally a 24mm TGN Grade A Silvertip set at 45mm.

View attachment 302096

I rated each knot on backbone, density, softness of the tips, and face feel.

On backbone the Grade A Silvertip has the most at 22mm, but at 24mm, and 20mm the Whipped Dog has a tad bit more. The Super Badger had the least amount of backbone at all the knot diameters.

For density the TGN Grade A and Whipped Dog in 20mm were a dead heat, no winner. At 22mm The TGN Grade A has the most, followed closely by Whipped Dog, and the TGN Super Badger had considerably less density to both. At 24mm The Whipped Dog had the most density, followed closely by TGN Grade A, and TGN Super Badger was once again considerably less dense.

Now on Softness of the tips Whipped Dog had the softest tips, hands down, throughout all knot diameters. TGN Super Badger was next in line, followed by TGN Grade A.

Face feel is a very YMMV thing but for me Whipped Dog probably wins in this department. Followed very closely by TGN Grade A Silvertip, and then bringing up the rear TGN Super Badger. I like good backbone with very soft tips. If you like good backbone with a touch more scrub, TGN Grade A would probably be your pic. If you like soft tips and are willing to sacrifice backbone TGN Super Badger would be your friend.

Bottom line you can't go wrong with any of these knots. My least favorite is TGN Super Badger, only because backbone is really lacking for me. YMMV. I would call Whipped Dog Silvertip and TGN Grade A a tie. I just can't choose I love them both.

Side note if you like a spongy, strong backbone, with soft, scrubby tips TGN finest is a great knot that wasn't in my comparison. I like TGN finest but I'm not a huge fan of the spongy feel. Give me TGN Grade A or a Whipped Dog.

I hope this helps some of you trying to decide which knot to get.

Top Bottom