What's new

Tatara Titanium Razors Have Started Arriving.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Man, I really wish the Muramasa had a little more bite to it. They said the Ti version would be back in stock in 2023, but I've since decided to abstain from this razor because it's reported to be pretty mild on the top end. Very disappointing, because the craftsmanship is reportedly amazing on these things.
According to my skin feeling, the maximum efficiency of muramasa is slightly higher than 6S, which is suitable for most people's needs, but it may be a bit frustrating for some people with particularly thick beards.
So muramasa fits my shave.

Its creativity, aesthetics, manufacturing is amazing, I found Nirvana in it. Since shaving with muramasa, no other new DE has moved my heart, at least so far.

Tatara says the Ti version is 55% lighter than the stainless. We hear ad nauseum on B&B of the virtues of heavy razors. Why would you want a lighter razor that costs more than the heavier one? I’m confused.

Reactions: CCS
Man, I really wish the Muramasa had a little more bite to it. They said the Ti version would be back in stock in 2023, but I've since decided to abstain from this razor because it's reported to be pretty mild on the top end. Very disappointing, because the craftsmanship is reportedly amazing on these things.

I have two Masamune Nodachis (one Steel and one Ti) and one (steel) Muramasa and I cannot confirm what you have been told about the Muramasa. Having used a Mühle R41 for years, I found the effectiveness of the Masamune Nodachi or of the Muramasa at a setting of 4 or 5 about equal to the R41.

As there have only of 20 the $$$$$ Ti Muramasas been produced so far, it will be difficult to find reviews of the Ti version of this razor, but it is not unreasonable to assume that the razor will shave similarly to the steel version, but will be more nimble to maneuver - just like what I found when moving from the steel Nodachi to the Ti one.

Because of its lower mass, the Ti Nodachi may not feel quite as aggressive as the Mühle R41, but to me the Ti Nodachi produces closer, smoother and more comfortable shaves - in fact the best safety razor shaves I ever had.

B.

Last edited:
Tatara says the Ti version is 55% lighter than the stainless. We hear ad nauseum on B&B of the virtues of heavy razors. Why would you want a lighter razor that costs more than the heavier one? I’m confused.

Maybe because there is a sizeable group of shaving enthusiasts (me included) that doesn’t buy it? :001_cool:

IMO there is something of too much of a good thing can be bad at play here.
A certain mass is desirable, but if it is overdone the razor starts to lose maneuverability.

I simple words, aluminium is too light, (depending on design) steel can be too heavy, but titanium is about ideal and produces a razor that can be maneuvered effortlessly and yet feel solid.

That is my opinion, but I accept that some diehard fans of tractor shaving 🚜 may not agree with me.:biggrin1:

B.

Last edited:
Most of my razors are Ti, but I do have one copper and one SS razor in my rotation. In most instances for me, Ti cuts back on my irritation because it has less weight and the same mass.

Of course I have have an actual skin condition so occasionally I have to not shave for a week after a treatment.

Aluminum isn’t as effective for me as it is too light but the weight to mass for Ti makes my shaving experience a pleasure. Otherwise, I would use a Merkur 23C which never irritates me nor ever gets me shaved as close as I prefer.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I need to shave my head with my hands up, which takes a lot longer than shaving my face, and some heavyweight solid stainless steel and brass razors add to the fatigue, which in turn creates an inconsistent shave.
For example, the Rockwell 6S will have a little soreness in the hands after shaving the head, but there is no such problem when only shaving the face.

The weight of the titanium is just right for me, and it has the solid and sturdy quality I like, and of course some stainless steel handles that aren't too thick would be nice too.

Aluminum is too light and lacks a noble texture.

"The thought is the mother of the deed."
You might be right. I've been looking at the basic SS version this morning but I am unable to pay retail for anything and can't find a working discount code. Ti sounds exotic but I prefer razors that have a hefty feel. Mostly, I just really like the modern design and dimpled handle. It's not crazy expensive at $170 but, again, I just can't pay retail for anything. ;)

Tatara Nodachi SB is one of my top DE razors. I was skeptical but after repeated use I can confidently state that the Ti version is even better. The agility associated with lighter weight seems to work well with this razor's dynamics.
Efficient and smooth.

My titanium muramasa arrived the other day. 1st shave down and I definitely prefer it to the stainless version. Nimble. Shaves really nicely.

1000005227.jpg
1000005377.jpg
1000005378.jpg

I have two Masamune Nodachis (one Steel and one Ti) and one (steel) Muramasa and I cannot confirm what you have been told about the Muramasa. Having used a Mühle R41 for years, I found the effectiveness of the Masamune Nodachi or of the Muramasa at a setting of 4 or 5 about equal to the R41.

As there have only of 20 the $$$$$ Ti Muramasas been produced so far, it will be difficult to find reviews of the Ti version of this razor, but it is not unreasonable to assume that the razor will shave similarly to the steel version, but will be more nimble to maneuver - just like what I found when moving from the steel Nodachi to the Ti one.

Because of its lower mass, the Ti Nodachi may not feel quite as aggressive as the Mühle R41, but to me the Ti Nodachi produces closer, smoother and more comfortable shaves - in fact the best safety razor shaves I ever had.

B.
I would like to ask about Ti Nodachi. I found best for me full Nodachi on Masamune handle. I have all combinations in SS. Does it make sense (now when I like most full Nodachi) to buy Titanium? I belive it could deliver smoother and easier shave vs SS. My biggest problem with SS is that I have to shave with very big attention to pressure I apply, maybe lighter Nodachi can be best for everyday shaving. But then problem could be if as lighter razor is not less efficient.. :biggrin1:

I would like to ask about Ti Nodachi. I found best for me full Nodachi on Masamune handle. I have all combinations in SS. Does it make sense (now when I like most full Nodachi) to buy Titanium? I belive it could deliver smoother and easier shave vs SS. My biggest problem with SS is that I have to shave with very big attention to pressure I apply, maybe lighter Nodachi can be best for everyday shaving. But then problem could be if as lighter razor is not less efficient.. :biggrin1:
Do you have the Masamune top cap? Combined with the Nodachi baseplate, it is the same gap but reduced exposure, closer to neutral exposure than positive. I think it's 0.03 exposure if I remember correctly.

Do you have the Masamune top cap? Combined with the Nodachi baseplate, it is the same gap but reduced exposure, closer to neutral exposure than positive. I think it's 0.03 exposure if I remember correctly.
Yes I have it. But prefer full Nodachi which is very sensitive to pressure used (for me), so my idea was if I buy full Nodachi in Titanium which is lighter, it could be easier to control pressure and so have same close shave but even smoother as with SS.. Just my idea

Yes I have it. But prefer full Nodachi which is very sensitive to pressure used (for me), so my idea was if I buy full Nodachi in Titanium which is lighter, it could be easier to control pressure and so have same close shave but even smoother as with SS.. Just my idea
I think you've got the right idea. That has been my experience with titanium razors in general. I was thinking of getting the Masamune Ti myself, although I'm probably going to wait for the black Friday sale.

The stainless steel and titanium Nodachis are identical except for the material and mass of the razor.
The titanium version is significantly lighter, which IMO makes for better manoeuvrability and a lighter touch.
But as the titanium version is considerably more expensive, I would suggest the titanium version only to someone who (like me) sees a tangible advantage in the lighter mass and lighter touch.

Unlike some others, I never saw any real advantage in the pick-and-choose options that Tatara offers, except for the Masamune (short) vs Nodachi (long) handle.
Otherwise, I take the heads as they come: Masamune top and base plate, or Nodachi top and base plate, either in open comb or closed comb. As the dimensions of open and closed comb heads are identical, I get the same results from either one, but prefer the closed comb by a small margin.

Hope this helps,

B.

Question for Muramasa Titanium owners. Do you all received Certificate? My Muramasa Ti arrived this week but without certificate. No problem for me, I like razor very much so definitely keeper and I can shave without certificate. Just curiosity

Top Bottom