What's new

Tall and Curvy or Short and Plump- you decide- pic heavy

I've been toying with different brush handle designs to see which is the most comfortable for me. I started using a scuttle about 2 weeks ago and I thought it was time to see if a slightly longer brush handle would work to my advantage. Most of the brushes I make are 1.8 to 2 inches tall. This brush is about 2.6 inches tall, yet is very comfortable in the hand.

Brush details- Lignum Vitae handle with CA glue finish overlaid with beeswax. TGN 22mm Finest badger XH knot, 48mm loft. Let me know what you think. The soap bowl is headed to a gentleman if Florida, but the brush is staying in
Tennessee :001_smile

$IMG_5499.jpg
Standing alone

$IMG_5502.jpg
Handle detail- ain't she curvy?

$IMG_5504.jpg
Current den mates.

$IMG_1364.jpg
Maple soap bowl- pure tung oil finish- guarded jealously:angry:

They all look great, I would personally prefer the brush on the far right though....so I guess I like them short and plump.

They all look great, I would personally prefer the brush on the far right though....so I guess I like them short and plump.

It, too, is very ergonomically pleasing but it is just a little short for my scuttle. I use it to face lather.

I haven't tried a CA finish. How do you apply it? Are you using the thin or thick? Inquiring turners want to know! :confused1

I apply the finish on the lathe and I use both thin and thick. I apply one coat of thin followed by about 5 coats of medium thickness CA- no sanding between coats. Once I am pleased with # of coats, I sand with 400 grit mesh sandpaper, then stop the lathe and sand parallel to the lathe bed. Lastly, I polish with a satin polish and if I want a high gloss finish, I polish with a gloss polish afterwards. I always overlay the CA with either pure beeswax on the lathe, primarily for the tactile sensation (I love the feel of beeswax) or with Renaissance wax. I don't think that wax is necessary; the CA is very water resistant (maybe waterproof), but the wax just feels nicer. I have started doing the same with the soap bowls I turn. I finish the inside of the bowl, and often the lid, with CA, then finish the outside with something else, usually pure tung oil or walnut oil overlaid with wax. The tung oil takes about 3 weeks to dry but the finish is worth it, in my opinion.

Great job on the brush, the longer handle will definitely work better if you build your lather in the scuttle, which most people do. This will go great with that new razor!

I think shorter handles are far better looking to the eye, but longer handles just work better for me. Wether bowl or face lathering, I find the longer handles more user friendly.

I think there must be a happy medium somewhere.

I just stumbled here after reading your thread title....wink wink..... and your work is beautiful shaverjoe....

Top Bottom