What's new

Tabasco brand hot sauce: Has it changed?

Just as an aside those Naga jolokia peppers are hot, I have been fooling with hot sauce for a few decades now and it is hotter than some of the artificially enhanced (weapon-ised) hot sauces out there.

Just as an aside those Naga jolokia peppers are hot, I have been fooling with hot sauce for a few decades now and it is hotter than some of the artificially enhanced (weapon-ised) hot sauces out there.

Great word choice! If I have to sign three waivers and show two forms of ID I think it's a safe bet to say that it is much hotter then I can stand.

I think a trip to the hot sauce store is in order this weekend. How does the flavor compare to Melinda's XXX hot or the Red Savina?

Great word choice! If I have to sign three waivers and show two forms of ID I think it's a safe bet to say that it is much hotter then I can stand.

I think a trip to the hot sauce store is in order this weekend. How does the flavor compare to Melinda's XXX hot or the Red Savina?

Oh I do not recommend it at all- I like the regular Melindas for flavor and moderate heat.

Oh I do not recommend it at all- I like the regular Melindas for flavor and moderate heat.

Thanks Jim. I'll stick with the Red Savina, for now.

I just discovered that you can get the Habanero XXXXtra Reserve Hot Sauce by the gallon!

Last edited:
This is my favorite, heat with taste:

$srirachaChiliSauce.jpg

May I suggest Tabasco Chipotle? I really like this stuff. Heat level seems to be the same as regular Tabasco, but the Chipotle peppers give it a real flavor boost.

These have been my goto for years. Now i need to find the Melinda's

Edit - Nevermind - Melinda's are all habanero based. Too hot for me.

The regular Melindas is not very hot, it may be a bit more than Tabasco but is not one of these ridiculous weapons grade stuff.
proxy.php

Last edited:
May I suggest Tabasco Chipotle? I really like this stuff. Heat level seems to be the same as regular Tabasco, but the Chipotle peppers give it a real flavor boost.

I absolutely love the chipotle version, but I use probably 4-5 times as much at a time, since it's heat is so mild. Also doesn't work everywhere that regular tabasco does.

FWIW, I can tell you a story about how taste changes. I used to frequent a tiny Chinese restaurant near my job. I can't remember what the dish was exactly, but I'd order a really hot chicken dish they had (not kung pao). It kept getting milder, so I'd add tabasco to it. The owner and I had become friends, and one day he sat down with me and I noted that I was using almost half of one of the little bottles of tabasco to get the heat where I wanted, and I asked him if he had been forced to lighten up for the rest of his customers. He just stared at me like I was an idiot (i was) and said "it's the same as it's always been. You're just used to it now". LOL

He was just as bad. He was sitting with me one day eating Kim Chee by adding chili pepper paste to each bite, and telling me about all his business problems. Then he tells me that he's been having a lot of stomach problems lately and couldn't understand why! LOL

Tabasco is sour and not hot by today's standards.

I have to agree here. What has changed is the public perception of what a "hot" sauce should be. Most people today simply focus on heat and not flavor. As a result, Tabasco seems mild and vinegary by today's standards. Personally I prefer Crystal or Red Dot or Tapatio.

I have to agree here. What has changed is the public perception of what a "hot" sauce should be. Most people today simply focus on heat and not flavor. As a result, Tabasco seems mild and vinegary by today's standards. Personally I prefer Crystal or Red Dot or Tapatio.

I think that part of the problem is that there is so much talk about which is the hottest, that people are going for heat, and not for flavor. It's become a contest about who can make or consume the hottest stuff around. To me, a good hot sauce should have a decent amount of heat, but what I am really going for is something that for want of a better word, "brightens" up the taste of whatever it is I am adding it to. I like Jim's comment about "weapons grade stuff". I remember watching some food show where they were showing the annual Hatch pepper eating contest in New Mexico, and the whole point was how many you could eat in one minute. Within seconds, the contestants were: turning red, sweating, crying, and blowing stuff out of their noses. The best comment from the winner: "I think my backside is going to be complaining about this for a few days".

Last edited:
I remember trying Dave's insanity sauce back when I was seriously into hot food. Hated it. Super hot sure, but it tasted awful! What's the point if it's just hot? In any case, you can be assured that you're tastes and perceptions will change the more you use these sauces.

Melinda's is tasty tasy stuff, for sure. Lately, though, I'm hooked on this: http://amigosauce.com/amigo_ingredients.html

Not the easiest to find locally, but I use it on everything now. Just the right heat, great flavor. Does AMAZING things for egg sandwiches. Also, the "grillers" boca burger, with provalone, ketchup, amigo, lettuce and tomato is a great little sandwich.

Top Bottom