What's new

Tabac Original aftershave lotion anyone?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Not really, as Tabac is German, produced by Maurer & Wirtz (same company that makes 4711).

That said, Tabac smells nothing like Pinaud Clubman, although it has that unmistakable powdery note, just like the Clubman.
Sorry just awake and only on my first cup of coffee I'll give the Pinaud Clubman ago and see what I think. Thanks for the info 👍.

Does all the clubman have the powdery note or just certain one's and could you recommend some please. I've read in reviews that the scent dies very quickly.
It's important to distinguish "Clubman" brand (used to be called Pinaud) and THE Clubman aftershave lotion.

In the wet-shaver community when folks say "Clubman" they refer to the A/S, the original Clubman (pic below).

1611571262774.png

It's an iconic product and considered THE Barbershop scent in the US.

There are other products by the Clubman Pinaud company, like their take on Bay Rum (VIBR) and some Lime and Citrus aftershaves, but none of those comes close to Clubman in terms of recognition and ubiquitousness.

I'm not a fan though, as it's all powder and lavender and I don't like powdery fragrances. That said, it has a staying power of EDP's costing 10-20 times as much. So, if you fancy that type of fragrance, you can actually use it as a cologne/perfume. As an aftershave, it produces extremely strong burn, due to high concentration of alcohol.

Tabac is one of my two all time favourite aftershaves. It's a pleasant scent and it lasts much longer than most others. I assume the alcohol content is low because I rarely get more than very minor feedback.

Or... because you're darn good at shaving irritation free! 😎
By and large I've got it dialled in but it did take me 4 years to get here...! My post-shave routine solely consists of slapping on a bit of aftershave so the amount of feedback I get is THE barometer by which I measure the quality of the shave. More often than not I get a spot of feedback here and there but occasionally I achieve my shaving holy grail of zero feedback :Veg:

Does all the clubman have the powdery note or just certain one's and could you recommend some please. I've read in reviews that the scent dies very quickly.
Clubman's Special Reserve is in a class by itself. Sort of smoky and leathery, I guess. Someone here said Special Reserve "is the way Indiana Jones would smell" -- I assume when he's teaching at home in a suit and tie, not sweating his brains out running from boulders in a jungle -- and I concur.

Clubman's Special Reserve is in a class by itself. Sort of smoky and leathery, I guess. Someone here said Special Reserve "is the way Indiana Jones would smell" -- I assume when he's teaching at home in a suit and tie, not sweating his brains out running from boulders in a jungle -- and I concur.
In a jungle he's sweating his BALLS out, not brains... just sayin' 😁 😂 🤣

Good ol' Indie could wear Whiskey & Woods when in a jungle.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
In a jungle he's sweating his BALLS out, not brains... just sayin' 😁 😂 🤣

Good ol' Indie could wear Whiskey & Woods when in a jungle.
Right youve my mind up if its good enough for Indie its good enough for me, I'll stick on my Indie gear and head to the shops them mad kids in my neighbourhood ain't gonna know what hit them :devil:

The Pashana is a powerful powdery smell but not like tabac well not to me anyway
I did not claim it was similar. It was asked what Pashana smelled like. It is similar only in the strength of the scent in the aftershave.

It is comparable to Clubman in the sense that it is a “barbershop “ scent in England like Clubman is in the USA, or so I’ve heard.

Many of the Pinaud aftershaves are also powerful. Special Reserve is an especially potent leather scent. It’s right up there with Pashana and Tabac as far as strength and longevity goes. Any of those 3 will preclude one from also using an edt in most cases unless you apply very sparingly in my judgement.

The Tabac edc is similar to the aftershave. Much more than the edt. If you apply both the edc and aftershave, you have to be careful. Over application will garner many stares as you walk through any crowds for sure.

I enjoy all of these on a regular basis. They are all polarizing in these forums.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I did not claim it was similar. It was asked what Pashana smelled like. It is similar only in the strength of the scent in the aftershave.

It is comparable to Clubman in the sense that it is a “barbershop “ scent in England like Clubman is in the USA, or so I’ve heard.

Many of the Pinaud aftershaves are also powerful. Special Reserve is an especially potent leather scent. It’s right up there with Pashana and Tabac as far as strength and longevity goes. Any of those 3 will preclude one from also using an edt in most cases unless you apply very sparingly in my judgement.

The Tabac edc is similar to the aftershave. Much more than the edt. If you apply both the edc and aftershave, you have to be careful. Over application will garner many stares as you walk through any crowds for sure.

I enjoy all of these on a regular basis. They are all polarizing in these forums.
Sorry mate I got mixed up I apologise I got mixed up I need to need to pay more attention to how's asking what.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
It's important to distinguish "Clubman" brand (used to be called Pinaud) and THE Clubman aftershave lotion.

In the wet-shaver community when folks say "Clubman" they refer to the A/S, the original Clubman (pic below).

View attachment 1213202

It's an iconic product and considered THE Barbershop scent in the US.

There are other products by the Clubman Pinaud company, like their take on Bay Rum (VIBR) and some Lime and Citrus aftershaves, but none of those comes close to Clubman in terms of recognition and ubiquitousness.

I'm not a fan though, as it's all powder and lavender and I don't like powdery fragrances. That said, it has a staying power of EDP's costing 10-20 times as much. So, if you fancy that type of fragrance, you can actually use it as a cologne/perfume. As an aftershave, it produces extremely strong burn, due to high concentration of alcohol.
Thanks mate that will help me when I go to purchase it

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
By and large I've got it dialled in but it did take me 4 years to get here...! My post-shave routine solely consists of slapping on a bit of aftershave so the amount of feedback I get is THE barometer by which I measure the quality of the shave. More often than not I get a spot of feedback here and there but occasionally I achieve my shaving holy grail of zero feedback :Veg:
4 years looks like I've got a long and bloody road in front of me

Top Bottom