What's new

Synthetic, how long...

Synthetic brushes are great if :

1) you llactually like them for what they offer
2) you don't want to worry too much about maintaining them
3) don't want to spend time in break-in the natural hair brush
4) want some really cool/ beautiful handles and variety of knots in budget amount
5) you want to test the brushes without spending much

I have a no name 20 mm Synthetic brush which doesn't look like it can make anything remotely like a good lather, but it is my best brush.
Be it cream tube or soaps, it takes no hostage and quickly lathers up.

I think, you may be put off by the big brush and it's aesthetics didn't live up to your expectations.

Simple suggestion, go for a smaller synthetic brush like anything from a $12 Yaqi Sagrada Familia to 24 mm Plissoft/ Cashmere knot, nothing more than $20.
This will give you a great idea about synthetic brushes.

I like bigger brushes be it synthetic or natural hair, but I'll definitely settle for a soft 24 mm synthetic at good price (less than $20)

How do you lather croaps with a Synth? I always have troubles to get it dissolved completely in my bowl and therefore lather them with boars or stiff/dense Badgers.

If you cut it you will damage it.
There are fan like knot shapes though.

I tend to grate my hard soap and not load on top of soappucks I might have a great experience due to that.
Like my synths as they are.

It would seem synthetic bristles would not be harmed by leaving soap in the brush for the next day.

I have been rinsing, but perhaps that is wasteful.

One person recommended rinsing, does anyone else have an opinion? I face lather with a stick, if that matters.

Rinsing seems sanitary; helps to avoid soap scum building up in the brush, though brushes do benefit from cleaning every now and then. Soap is fairly cheap, unless you spring for the most deluxe kinds.

It would seem synthetic bristles would not be harmed by leaving soap in the brush for the next day.

I have been rinsing, but perhaps that is wasteful.

One person recommended rinsing, does anyone else have an opinion? I face lather with a stick, if that matters.

The problem is that if soap dries in the brush, it will stress the fibers at the base where they are glued together. That will shorten the life of the brush.

I use a different soap and brush every day, so whether I use a natural or synthetic brush, I always rinse them thoroughly using the plunger method so all the soap is removed from the base of the knot.

If you use the same brush and soap every day, then it might not be a big deal. Synthetic brushes and boar brushes are inexpensive, so if they last you five years rather than fifty, it is not a tragedy.

I would recommend rinsing your brush. If you leave the soap in there, the fibers won't bounce back properly and you'll end up with a deformed knot. Just look at all of those old boar brushes out there that people find in the antique shops. They all have that severe swoop to them.

Do people leave the soap in synthetic brushes after use, for the next day?

I always rinced out natural brushes.
I always wash out any type of brush. Not doing it can compromise the longevity of the brush, soap scums building up in the center, and the bristles looking all jacked up.

How does one wet the brush? I rub a stick on my beard. The use a wet brush. The synthetic brush drips a lot of water.

How does one wet the brush? I rub a stick on my beard. The use a wet brush. The synthetic brush drips a lot of water.
I wet mine directly under the faucet then give it a couple quick flicks into the sink. Squeezing the brush out, even gently, usually get rid of too much water for me.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I agree. Don’t cut it. Definitely rinse any brush completely. Synthetic has also changed over the years. I have the big Bruce and the rr bee hive. Compare the bee hive to say a Simpson synthetic chubby 2? Not even close except their both synthetic. The newer knots like omega evo are much different. I think better than the Bruce. It even looks like a wet badger when it’s sitting there drying. The only answer really. You can’t just have one brush!

I adapted to a synthetic very quickly. The bristles react somewhat differently and the water absorption is a little different, but a few shaves and it handles as nice as any other brush, just different in its own way.

I got used to synthetics very quickly. Now I always get the synthetic version if it's available. They feel great, they're cheap, and they dry faster.
If any bristles are sticking out too high, I just trim them.

I was thinking of trimming off some of the ones in the center (they are way longer than the ones on the side), but forum people said I would not be happy if I did that. I may trim them yet.

I am sure I will adapt, but still find the natural bristles easier to deal with.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
How long does it take to get accustomed to a synthetic brush?

So far I prefer naturals. Should one trim the bristles flat fot more contract?

Everyone is different. As you read, some people love them from day one. I think of each different type of "hair" as a different beast. If I compared my synthetics with my boar and badger brushes I'd never use them.

The RR brush is a fine brush. I've used one for travel for a couple of years. I recently purchased an Omega EVO as my travel brush as I find it less likely to throw lather around the room.

If you really want to become accustomed to the brush use it every day for 4-6 weeks. It usually takes some practice with new "hair" to perfect your process. I'd experiment a little. Try starting a little drier and adding water as you go. The next day start with more brush moisture and see what you like.

Top Bottom