What's new

Swear by my Alum Bar but is there anything else?

So I just picked up a new Alum Bar from AOS in San Jose and it got me thinking... Is there anything else like it out there that I should try? It works great in my routine (Shave, AOS bar, NB AS). But thought I'd ask and see if I'm missing anything else.

I find that Witch Hazel works just as well if not better for me as a post shave astringent. You might give that a whirl ... of course, YMMV.

I find there to be nothing like an alum crystal/bar in terms of an astringent...I assume you use it for that property. Some people use alum alone as their aftershave but I find it works better when I use alum, let it dry, rinse, then apply a quality AS like musgo. Seems to me like you are happy with the alum so I would suggest you stick with that.

I work the alum, then witch hazel, followed by an AS. The alum tightens the pores like nothing else but exercise caution: a swipe of alum on a razor burn will cause some pain and some serious redness. If you think you maybe got a little too close...skip the bar and go straight to the witch hazel.

My 2 cents...

If your skins not oily or combo with oily then use: alum, witch hazel (non-alcoholic), and ASB. Otherwise you throw in an ***.

When I was young and did not have too much money,
and too much skin problems because of shaving,
an old wise man told me that I can save some,
if instead of the alum bar and aftershave I use
the fresh juice of a lemon,
because it is astringent and antiseptic.

I tried it once and then never again.

Top Bottom