What's new

Sunglasses: American Optical vs. Randolph Engineering

Ahh yes, the dreaded "versus" thread :lol:

This may be a bit different, though, in that I've already made up my mind and bought what I wanted. For anyone that gives a crap, I decided on a pair of American Optical Original Pilots with matte chrome frames and tan glass polarized lenses. Should get here tomorrow! :thumbup1:

My inquiry goes a bit deeper. I've heard from several reviewers that own both the AO Original Pilots and the Randolph Engineering Aviators that they're exactly the same in every way; the only difference is the return policy/warranty. Does anyone know this for a fact or is this pure conjecture?

Also, I'd love to hear about other companies that may make re-branded products. I know that Luxottica is responsible for a lot of higher priced companys' glasses, including Ray Ban. Speaking of which, I'm seriously considering a pair of original Wayfarers in tortoise with brown lenses, too :lol:

I've been issued both as sunglasses, and later with prescriptions. They are identical, except for branding. They're both built to the same original mil spec is my guess.

that said, REs have been issued exclusively the last several years (to me), but AOs are sold in the PX.

Last edited:
Have two AOs, 57s for mowing/yardwork, and 52s for general wear, love them both. Excellent coverage; I can't wear wraparounds, as I somehow fog them immediately

I somehow fog them immediately

You too, eh? That was one of my main reasons for choosing this particular frame style.

The glasses are now in my possession and I've been wearing them daily for the better part of a week now. Indeed, they certainly seem to be high quality. Great looking shades that I've received countless compliments on already; from women, especially! The clarity is fantastic. My only issue is that I bought the 55s and feel they may be a bit on the small side, which is obviously my fault. Everyone says they look great on me, but I'll definitely be going for 57s the next go around.

Thanks for the replies, all! Any further input is still appreciated, of course.

I have both and love both. One AO and three Randolphs. To me the Randolphs are a little higher quality (sturdier) but not 3x the price of AO better. If that makes any sense.

I find the lenses in both to be great, and can't tell a difference. Either would make a fantastic choice

A.O. for me this past year and I love 'em. I imagine it is that their shape works with my face or at least I think it does. The heritage of the brand makes them priceless to me.

Top Bottom